Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2005 Lexus Gs 300 Se Problems

Hi all and apologies for the long post....

I'm just after some advice as I'm not really sure what I should do?

Basically, two weeks ago I took delivery of a new shape Lexus GS 300 2005 on a 55 plate, which I purchased from a Lexus dealer. The main reason for buying from a Lexus dealer was that I managed to get an extra two years warranty and two years servicing included in the already reasonable purchase price plus I get peace of mind.

Everything has been fine with the car up until last Sunday when a number of warning lights appeared in the dash and the car then wouldn't lock !!

I took the car to my local Lexus dealer (not the dealer I bought the car from as they are 150 miles away) who spent the rest of the day trying to diagnose what the fault might be.

They kept the car overnight and rang me yesterday to say that it could take days or even weeks to discover what is causing the fault and that this isn't the first time the car has had this problem.

When they looked into the warranty claims they discovered that the car has had over £6,000 spent on it and the three different wiring looms replaced (the car only has three in total), trying to resolve the problem.

I contacted the supplying dealer and they have agreed to collect the car from my local dealer and supply me with an equivalent loan car whilst they try and get to the bottom of the problem.

The car is still within the 30 day or 1,000 miles no quibble exchange policy so I can reject the car if I want to, but my question is would you allow them to try and fix the car and if I do, do you think it will affect my right to exchange the car if I'm not happy?

Any advice on any of the above would be really appreciated and if you think there is anything else I should be doing or asking for, please let me know - As a caveat to the above I have to say that they are being really good about it all and the dealer principle is looking after this himself, he has said that if they can't fix it they will find me an equivalent car.

If it was me, based on that kind of history, I would use the no quibble warrenty and have a full refund. Remember, it's your money at the end of the day and in the current economic climate, I would imagine you wouldn't have any trouble finding another GS at a Lexus dealer which hasn't had any previous problems.

Jim.

If it was me, based on that kind of history, I would use the no quibble warrenty and have a full refund. Remember, it's your money at the end of the day and in the current economic climate, I would imagine you wouldn't have any trouble finding another GS at a Lexus dealer which hasn't had any previous problems.

Jim.

" it could take days or even weeks to discover what is causing the fault".

This will take you well outside the 30 day period.

In the strongest terms and as a matter of urgency I would take the advice given by Jim above and tell the garage immediately that in light of the cars previous history you wish to exercise your rights with regard to the 30 day/1000mile no quibble exchange policy and ask for a refund.

Exiled

Thanks for your replies - I have told the dealer that I'm going to reject the car and to be fair to them they are already looking for a replacement.

I'll let you know how it all pans out.

Cheers

Thanks for your replies - I have told the dealer that I'm going to reject the car and to be fair to them they are already looking for a replacement.

I'll let you know how it all pans out.

Cheers

Nice one. Thanks for letting us know. I hope you have better luck with the new one the dealer finds you. My current LS had a few problems which were sorted at great expense to the dealer but these were problems with car keys and air con pipes and the usuall allow wheel corrosion. I have just renewed my warrenty for two years and touch wood, I won't have to use it.

Jim.

Guys, I very recently purchased a GS450h which was a "bad 'un". I managed to get my money back (with legal assistance) through the car 'not being of merchantable quality'. Note that the Lexus 30 day / 1000 mile offer is not a cash back deal - it is clear in the Terms and Conditions that if you exercise this option you have to buy another car from the same dealer for the same or a higher price. I chose the full refund path because I had lost complete faith in the dealership and did not wish to deal with them again.

By all means try and get another car, or cash back, but be careful of what you may lock yourself into if you take the "No Quibble" option route.

As an addendum to the last point, and for the avoidance of doubt, my first rejected purchase of the GS450h (a stunning car !) was not from a local Lexus dealership. My local dealers (Lexus Coventry) have exceeded my expectations for service quality, and I now have a 450h that is a dream to own.

Bob G

As an addendum to the last point, and for the avoidance of doubt, my first rejected purchase of the GS450h (a stunning car !) was not from a local Lexus dealership. My local dealers (Lexus Coventry) have exceeded my expectations for service quality, and I now have a 450h that is a dream to own.

Bob G

On your last post I had "assumed" you meant your local dealer and was surprised....glad you added this clarification as I have always found them excellent over the last 6+ years.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links