Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Everyone's Selling Up?

Tony-Bones

It's worrying to see members selling the beloved Lexus for other marques and even more sad to see members selling their possessions to keep their dream car.

We all know why this is happening but when i watched "Mad Max" all those years ago i never thought it was a premonition from the director.

For those who have succumb "chin up", for those still battling "Vote Gord", we will get through this recession one way or another.

Sorry.... Off box now.

Yeh, I to have thought about it but swapping for something with a bit more power? But when you think of what you have and the reliability of the Lexus it seems a daft thing to do, for me anyway? i know the fuel costs are a bit higher than some and the tax on the newer models is getting higher but i'm happy with it so will be keeping mine for a good while yet, and because of a car i have made some good friends and had quite a bit of fun because of it.(yeh i know i'm sad but i dont care :lol: ) So my Lex is staying :D

i was for getting rid of mine too for more powerfull car, but when looking for somet to replace it its hard to find somet with the same reputation as the lex, same looks and the big same quality factor. none of them came near.

my main turning point was when i was getting a clutch fitted i went to collect it but he was still working on it and had it up on the ramp. i couldnt believe my eyes. 1999 car and not a spot of rust or corrosion near it. so i said **** that i keepin it now. lol

:D

Edited by janey
evading profanity filter

Know what your saying , I've sold mine mainly coz the missus wouldn't drive it and I was fed up having to go everywhere she wanted to go (specially the outlaws) but I must admit although the Lex was spot on , the Clio is so much fun plus I drove from Chatham to Folkestone and it was Pi***** down with rain so 70-80mph all the way home , checked the mpg on the computer 48.8 mpg , I was astonished , I know its light but its a fast as **** and on a windey B road it makes the hairs on the back of your neck do a Mexican wave its awesome . Yes I miss the lex but only till I look at the Clio .

post-22839-1220495432.jpg

post-22839-1220495480.jpg

Edited by janey
evading profanity filter

me personally i have no intension what so ever of giving up my , fuel guzzling gs300. just to make it easier for myself i have put my 130 mpg bike on the road, i am the sort of person that will be driving round in a car, when every one else has given them up just because im so damn stubborn :).

the car dont get used during the week and gets a blast on saturdays, waste of money most probably MY waste of money definatly

so Tony heres one gs300 owner that aint going anywhere

I got rid of my lower tax bracket Series 1 GS300 Sport(sold to Lexus Coventry) :sick: .......and got a high tax band GS 430.......so up yours Gordon and Alistair :lol::lol::lol:

Got to admit - for 3 seconds the other day I considered getting rid - Fuel costing me at least £400 / month but luckily not caught out by the retrospective (arghhhh thats so wrong!!!) tax as mines a late 2000.

Then I thought - I'll never feel happy driving anything else - I'll miss the power, comfort and "uniqueness" of my Lex

Just a thought - I wonder what they (we all know who I'm talking about) would do if we all went out and bought a Prius? Would tax remain at £15 a year for such a car and would fuel duty remain as is now that we have all done what they want and gone green for the environment? I suspect not :angry:

i do 10-15miles mon-fri so fuel doesn't really affect me, i've got a 2000 so avoiding the tax hike, my only problem is that sad feeling opening the bonnet and seeing a big empty space that's just begging to be filled :(

Do it!!! :shutit:

I've just bought in!

Had my ZS180 from new for 3.5 years, loved it, but eventually just needed a change. Bought my 54 plate IS200 and I'm hoping to keep it for a couple of years.

I was well aware of the tax situation when I bought the car, but I can't see how they can get away with backdating it, they've really upset everyone. Surely they've got to back down before it comes into effect.

I'm made up with the IS200 but the only downside of my move is I'm struggling to sell the MG, precisely because of the road tax rip off.

Well I (or rather the wife!) have just bought one! (so I guess we are bucking the trend here!). Granted its on W plate, and its done 147 K ! But! just had a service and cam-belt etc changed (having the rear off side caliper replaced as I write though!) and I have to say its a lovely drive.I appreciate the fuel consuption isnt the best! but ours (ok my wifes!) at leat wont fall into the ridiculously high tax brands imposed by our glorious government!

In fairness my wife only does maybe 4,000 miles a year! so 'shouldnt!" cost us hopefully too much more! She loves driving it (me too!) she always wanted one ! and loves it! especially compared to her last car....corsa diesel!

Mines going as well soon but what for, my lex is worthless really an I have no pennys. My insurance is high still a little due to previous acciedents so may have to downgrade. Looking at Golf Turbo GTi 150bhp but would be in the same expense boat as the lex lol...

So mayb I will have to downgrade to a smaller little hatch, read about a C2 VTS 125bhp, an just group insurance 8 which is ideal for me.. If any1 has any ideas of what I could get, PM lol.. as I'm really stuck at the mo :( 3k-maybe pushed to 4 for the perfect car, is all i'll have :(

c2 vts was on a top gear I watched earlier this week think on dave.

Raced on the track vs fiesta but the fiesta seems quicker (just) but fiesta was something like a grp 12 or something.

I've also just bought in again I supposed with my mums RX300. We know the road tax goes up to £300 in 2009 and then £415 in 2010 but then again if these new road tax proposals were not being discussed big engined car prices would not fall and much and we couldn't afford to get it! :lol:

A lot of nice big engined/performance cars are going for silly money at the moment :o

Definately not selling mine, 52k on the clock when i bought it in 2005 and only 65k on it now!

So not many miles being put on it, the Mrs uses it mostly anyway. Being registered Jan 31st 2001 i also just miss out on the stupid tax hike, so i think i'd be stupid to sell it for something newer, pay more tax and struggle to find a car as reliable, good looking and refined as the Lex! Plus i've spent too much on it for someone else to benefit from my expense!

I wouldn't mind an E46 M3 Cab though, for the weekend of course! But the Mrs thinks not!