Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is The World Goin 2 End

Lexus2D

i think if you **** with nature it going to **** with you. these guys should leave it alone before they do some real damage to our little planet lol

sorry mate but completely disagree. if that was the attitude of the whole world, then research and development etc would never have occurred and we'd have very little of what we take for granted today, not to mention medical boundaries that are being pushed as we speak......

just my thoughts matey, but i do understand ur viewpoint.

Hi peeps , I must admit that if "Man" is to excell then we need experiments to do such , science is the way forward , what worries me is statements like this

" No-one knows precisely what will come tumbling out of the primordial soup of disintegrating protons." Its one thing to conduct experiments that are not harmful to anyone and I'm all for testing on animals before humans for the cause but this " No-one knows" bit is a bit of a worry . Upon a little reading I can see many advantages coming from this but a cure for cancer? is this being touted as an advantage to make Joe Public think its okay ? They say that 97% of our universe is missing ???? How the F**k can they say that ? have they been around it ? the answer is no , no-one knows how big the universe is so where does that statement come from . If this is to find out what happened at point of planet creation then whats the point ? Why not be thankful that we live in an age where we can contact eachother at the blink of an eye regardless of distance between us , have lovely cars , the best in entertainment and not to mention X-Box 360 live , Surely Britains contribution into this would of been better spent sorting out our economy and rising costs rather than plough pots and pots of cash into the unknown , Plus who wants to know what "Darkmatter" is ? surely its just another sith Lord , Lol .

Anyway just in case , its been an honour to have known you all and take part in this fine club .

If nothing happens then I'll catcha later .

Fingers crossed lads and lasses .

Regards

Paul.

post-22839-1221034569.jpg

I see what ur saying mate, but to a lot of people this is crucially important research. Its promise is that it can help iron out doubts/hypotheses regarding earth's creation, the creation of matter, the big bang itself etc etc. Physics evolves around laws and theories, of which, the Higg's Boson is centre-piece. The 'to date' inability to prove its existance means that there may always be an underlying doubt regarding what we suspect to be 'true'. Proving it exists and proving other particles form as 'expected' helps confirm conventional theorum on way or another.

To many i'm sure it may well seem like a pointless waste of cash, but from the inside looking out it isn't. The comments regarding 'no-one knows what will come tumbling out.....etc etc', yea, i can clearly see the concerns some will have. Yet the same has to be asked about all research does it not??? No-one knows what will happen if we treat, say, anthrax spores with X, Y or Z or tumour cells with a,b,c - but in the long run its benefits FAR outweigh its potential drawbacks. A lot of the time, i never know whats going to happen when i react X with Z, but its something you deal with day in day out, especially where high energy materials are concerned.....

There have been many other similar type events done in the past, but its the media spin that's now been put on it that's getting people up in arms. They have been looking for the Boson for decades, but this is the first time a collider has been deemed to be repeatedly accurate and reliable, so they're trying again. Hopefully some really interesting stuff will come of this work at the LHC.

I know its the way forward and we'll have to wait till Oct 21st till the first particle collisions to occur so lets make hay while the sun shines (or doesn't in the UK) , Many treatments are found in medicine and science by mistakes made lets just hope that any mistakes haven't any catastrophic results for us as human beings to deal with , with that in mind , the brainy dude in the wheelchair and the 80's electro-pop voice says its all cool , mind you He could be secretly waving us all goodbye as his life isn't exactly a rush is it ? he could be lulling us all into a false sense of security and taking us all down with " Yes sure It'll be just fine ".

Seriously though , the spin on this is one of disdain and I'm pretty sure that the worlds leading heads on this stuff wouldn't subject us to such a disaster , If they did though who would be there to say " well that was a waste of cash , we'd better lock you up you've just killed millions of people " .

What does lie thick in my head is the fact that I believe that Mankind will be wiped out by his own hand , lets hope its not in this deck eh ! .

Regards

Paul.

:blink:

I see what ur saying mate, but to a lot of people this is crucially important research. Its promise is that it can help iron out doubts/hypotheses regarding earth's creation, the creation of matter, the big bang itself etc etc. Physics evolves around laws and theories, of which, the Higg's Boson is centre-piece. The 'to date' inability to prove its existance means that there may always be an underlying doubt regarding what we suspect to be 'true'. Proving it exists and proving other particles form as 'expected' helps confirm conventional theorum on way or another.

To many i'm sure it may well seem like a pointless waste of cash, but from the inside looking out it isn't. The comments regarding 'no-one knows what will come tumbling out.....etc etc', yea, i can clearly see the concerns some will have. Yet the same has to be asked about all research does it not??? No-one knows what will happen if we treat, say, anthrax spores with X, Y or Z or tumour cells with a,b,c - but in the long run its benefits FAR outweigh its potential drawbacks. A lot of the time, i never know whats going to happen when i react X with Z, but its something you deal with day in day out, especially where high energy materials are concerned.....

There have been many other similar type events done in the past, but its the media spin that's now been put on it that's getting people up in arms. They have been looking for the Boson for decades, but this is the first time a collider has been deemed to be repeatedly accurate and reliable, so they're trying again. Hopefully some really interesting stuff will come of this work at the LHC.

I see your point Rob, but I see science as an art - maybe I'm way off base here, but perhaps people don't want to know how the universe was created. I'm not a religious person in the slightest (I'm quite nauseated by it most of the time!), but a bunch of scientists proving that God did not create the universe could turn the whole world of religion upside down. I am totally fascinated by the experiment, but I can't help thinking some things are best left alone and let people draw their own conclusions from theories and hypotheses. Do we actually WANT answers to this question?

Just a point to ponder.

I see your point Rob, but I see science as an art - maybe I'm way off base here, but perhaps people don't want to know how the universe was created. I'm not a religious person in the slightest (I'm quite nauseated by it most of the time!), but a bunch of scientists proving that God did not create the universe could turn the whole world of religion upside down. I am totally fascinated by the experiment, but I can't help thinking some things are best left alone and let people draw their own conclusions from theories and hypotheses. Do we actually WANT answers to this question?

Just a point to ponder.

do we want answers, i dunno mate, i do.....do we want a cure for cancer, aids etc etc?? or should we just let nature take its cause for those unfortunate people?? you see, sometimes people look on the surface of things and don't consider the underlying meanings. the experiment isn't to nullify religions/beliefs and the 'god created this that and t'other' theory, nor is it to prove how earth is created (as the big bang theory will forever be in place regardless) - one of its main objectives is to try to find a particle that helps support pretty much all theories on this earth! that said, there is then potential to expand our research platform and develop new boundary pushing methods/ideas etc etc.

science as an art is an interesting viewpoint. i guess it is to some degree. to me its everyday life, but i work in the trade. "Leaving it alone" as you say and "letting people draw their own conclusions" is what has been done for decades. Too many have hypothesised this and that and too many have tried to overshadow current beliefs/theories. Its about time, IMHO (and a good few tens of million around the world) for this to be investigated as thoroughly as possible now the technology advancements are of suitable strength. What it shall bring to the table is very much a heated debate, but it certainly can't do any harm and it certainly can't push science in a backwards direction.

Valid points all I think Rob , yes it would be nice to have a cure for all ailments and diseases but with that comes the realistic element of overcrowding on the planet , I believe thigs like world wars and incurable diseases are , somehow nature's way of keeping the population in check , its no secret that "Man" now has a greater lifespan than ever and the population is ever increasing , add them together and there you have it , reasons for destoying rain forests and green belt land for accomodation .

Yes I do want to know what this experiment holds and what answers come of it but if after its finished we get nothing , then what ? I will cetainly want some form of improvement for "Mankind" , a cure for cancer would be the top of my list so lets all hope its not a huge white elephant and we all live through it . What I do object to is the UK ploughing £34Million a year out of our economy into it , surely whoever brought out Man City could do this couldn't they , but its us again paying for it , its immoral.

Regards

Paul.

I agree with most of your points Paul but your statement <its no secret that "Man" now has a greater lifespan than ever> is not really accurate. It is not that people are living longer, it's that more people are living to the same age. Years ago childhood mortality rates were higher which brought down the average lifespan but in general, people who survived childhood had a life expectancy very similar to our own.