Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Number Plate Lights

Sorry to ask the same question again, but do the bulbs face downwards or sideways in the holder?

Sorrry matey was going to answer just, but got side tracked :whistling: iirc they face downwards in the holder :)

Lol no worries, was thinking of doing this myself so wondered whether you need the bulbs with the LEDs on the sides of the bulb or facing straight ahead - seems straight ahead it is.

But yeah quite a big difference with those inverted ones :)

Thanks guys & gals. What puzzled me was what was "inverted", i.e. upside-down, in these LEDs. From the pic it looks like the dome of the LED is the inverted bit, so that it ends up spreading out the light sideways.

Seems to be that there are some that are claimed to be "wide angle" but aren't really, the inverted ones seem to do a better job of that.

Which way do the bulbs face when in the holder?

The light seems to come mainly out of the side of the bulb on mine, I think you need an LED that puts out a good amount of light to the side.

The inverted ones give a wider spread of light than the standard dome top led as the dome top ones always seem to point in one direction :D

This is an inverted Led, notice how it spreads the light outwards =

Thanks, I've installed some LEDs that look just like that pic into my number plate holders. Just have to wait till it gets dark so as to be able to properly see how they look.

Thanks to Lexus2D for the link to that article about how to get to the bulbs. In the linked article it says that the bulb holders slide into the centre and then out - that didn't work for me, they wouldn't budge sideways and had to be pulled straight out (don't know if this is model-specific, mine's an early (1999) IS).

Awww cheers i found it realy helpfull when i did mine u think your goin 2 break something but it all comes good in the end ;) roll on the dark ;)

Yeah, I meant to also add that it's a real pain getting that cover bar thingy off, you have to pull it real hard. I hate that sort of thing because I'm always sure I'm going to break something :lol:

Can't wait till it gets dark now :lol:

The inverted led's do seem to work quite well, i have them fitted all over the car, in the dash, boot light, front side lights, number plate and not had any problems with them so far :whistling:

I ordered 10 of them, and have replaced my previous sidelight LED on one side with one of these inverted ones, to see how they compare. Even in the daylight I can see quite a big difference, with a lot more light coming out of the side. Just need to see how much of that is going to bounce around the reflector and come out, once it gets dark.

I've recently put some led's in the rear license plate aswell....the same ones as the ones in the picture from Lexus2D....they are brightest as i've tried a few...not tried the inverted ones but the ones in the picture from lexus2d are same as mine..have them in the sidelights at the front aswel....they don't show up during the day at all but the really are bright at night...i've recently got into all the light business aswelll lol.

just had the LED lightstrips (eyebrows) put on front, got the brake/fog conversion done...and also the rear flashing brake lights done aswell.

.one thing i've got to say..it's rather alot of work just to replace the license plate bulbs....have to pull the inner liner on the boot lid, then have to do 4 nuts...the two that are in the centre are the hardest to get to...

i ordered all my bulbs and light strips from a seller called gxxled on eeeebay...brilliant next day delivery..from london i think, ordered afew times from him.

ok, I got a pic of mine last night when it got dark. This is with white inverted LEDs in the number plate bulb holders :

IMG_2268_edited-1.jpg

Bear in mind those are just the tail lights that are on at the back. The camera has exaggerated the highlights in the exposure, so it looks them look more like the brake lights. So the "real" brightness of the number plate LEDs is less bright than it looks in the pic. They aren't as bright as they look (I'd ideally like them to be "really" as bright as they look in the pic), but I can't see there would be any MoT problem, and they do look a different colour from the normal (more yellow) bulbs.

I've recently put some led's in the rear license plate aswell....the same ones as the ones in the picture from Lexus2D....they are brightest as i've tried a few...not tried the inverted ones but the ones in the picture from lexus2d are same as mine..have them in the sidelights at the front aswel....they don't show up during the day at all but the really are bright at night...i've recently got into all the light business aswelll lol.

just had the led lightstrips (eyebrows) put on front, got the brake/fog conversion done...and also the rear flashing brake lights done aswell.

.one thing i've got to say..it's rather alot of work just to replace the license plate bulbs....have to pull the inner liner on the boot lid, then have to do 4 nuts...the two that are in the centre are the hardest to get to...

i ordered all my bulbs and light strips from a seller called gxxled on eeeebay...brilliant next day delivery..from london i think, ordered afew times from him.

Iv got a Blue 1 in the boot 2 ;) lights up nice

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links