Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Removing Head Lights

crazy-dee

• 3 months later...

I'm currently trying to get headlights out to put HID's in, but I cant get screws out from under the wheel arch, there is no way to unscrew it as the pin is rounded (or there was no place for screwdriver in the first place) I'm afraid I'll snap it if I force it out. Any help on this? I can't see any other way of installing HID's without removing headlight assembly.

I'm currently trying to get headlights out to put HID's in, but I cant get screws out from under the wheel arch, there is no way to unscrew it as the pin is rounded (or there was no place for screwdriver in the first place) I'm afraid I'll snap it if I force it out. Any help on this? I can't see any other way of installing HID's without removing headlight assembly.

Why do you need to remove the headlight assembly to install HIDs ? The bulbs are inserted from the rear of the assembly, which you can get to from the engine bay. It's a bit tight on the passenger side and you might have to remove some other bulbs to get the wiring out of the way, but it shouldn't be that hard.

Or are you trying to retrofit whole HID headlamp assemblies from later IS200s ? Those won't fit easily.

Why do you need to remove the headlight assembly to install HIDs ? The bulbs are inserted from the rear of the assembly, which you can get to from the engine bay. It's a bit tight on the passenger side and you might have to remove some other bulbs to get the wiring out of the way, but it shouldn't be that hard.

Or are you trying to retrofit whole HID headlamp assemblies from later IS200s ? Those won't fit easily.

I had a quick go at installing them without removing the assembly but it was too tight at passenger side as you say, I thought it would be easier over all to just remove whole section. I'm just putting standard HID's, not retro fitting whole assembly.

it is 2 nuts that hold it in under the wing m8 il put up a pic for you soon

Ah cheers I was trying to pull off cover like a clown. I just saw nut now, is there 2 on each side, I can see only 1?

here you go but you should get the HID's in without taking the lamp out they are a bit tight but that do go i just put a set in mine

the 1st 2 bolts on the outside

S4021190.jpg

then 2 nuts from inside under wheel liner

S4021191.jpg

then once these are out you have to give the headlamp a yank to unclip it from last mount

S4021192.jpg

Maybe it's too late now, but although it's a fiddle you definitely should be able to do it without removing the passenger headlamp. Remove some of the other bulbs to make yourself a bit more room.

I read your mind, I tried putting them in without removing the assembly, they seem to be in but not 100% secure (i.e they haven't clicked into place), just going to put in the ballasts etc and will tidy it up tomorrow. The darkness has arrived so everything now is being done by torch.

Thanks for everyones help today, I learned some valuable lessons ( one of which was not to waste time driving to shopping centre for cable ties, when they are included in the box. :crybaby:

I read your mind, I tried putting them in without removing the assembly, they seem to be in but not 100% secure (i.e they haven't clicked into place), just going to put in the ballasts etc and will tidy it up tomorrow. The darkness has arrived so everything now is being done by torch.

Make sure you do click them into place soon, otherwise you may get condensation inside the headlamp if it's not sealed.

Sorry guys just found a thread on it, the brown connector was the other way round !!!!!!!!! Why the hell don't they label it. Oh well, very happy with them, they look class especially now I put my sports grille on this morning. Again thanks for all the help today!

When I was driving home last night with the new HID's in (5 minute journey) I had 2 guys waving their fist/finger at me going in the opposite direction and the only 2 people infront of me had their hands covering their rear view mirror and they didn't look too happy either. I decided to whip them out again (this only took me 5 minutes as I wrote myself a BKM on how to install/deinstall them) untill I can have them checked. I didn't want to be in in a digging mate every time I came to lights.

The lights should be level as the halogen only passed its NCT (equivalent to MOT) last week, so I'm perplexed what to do. I was talking to a guy who said I should have projector lenses and shutters on them. Anyone any advice? I don't want to waste them.

Are the lenses clean or is the car dirty?

The thing is you see you have headlights designed for halogen bulbs - not HIDs - and therefore the light thrown out although much brighter with the HIDs - is absolutely all over the place.

If you look at a factory designed system you'll see a very clean cutoff point with HIDs - the IS does not have this and so you get leakage which can cause glare to other road users.

Also - if your lenses are dirty - that causes the light to scatter all over the place - again causing unneccessary and unpleasant glare.

Don't even get me started on the blooming Land Rovers and similar vehicles of the world - imagine how nasty they are jn your rear view mirror - that's pretty much probably what your standard aftermarket HIDs are doing to everyone else!

Check this link out for some good comparisons:

http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html

Those Nissan and Honda conversions are awesome!

Yeah as Aido said, make sure your lenses are clean.

But, although your beams may well have been level before with the halogens in, when you put the HIDs in it could have thrown off the aim, e.g. the way the HID bulbs are seated in their holders might be slightly different. Best to either (a) mark the beam level on a nearby wall with your halogens on so you can make sure the HIDs point to a similar level, or (B) better to get the aim checked/adjusted again by a garage when you've got the HIDs in.

I've not had anyone flash me, it sounds like your aim needs adjusting.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links