Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Parking Dynamics Pd1 Parking Sensor

It looks like the Taurus system has been discontinued and is now branded as the Parking Dynamics PD1. I assume it's the same product, maybe using newer electronics. Has anybody here used the PD1 and fitted it to both the front and rear of a Series II GS 430/300 Sport, I'm particularly interested in the front fitting as I imagine this is a little more complicated than the rear.

http://www.parkingdynamics.co.uk/Vehicle-S...ng-Dynamics-PD1

I had a look into the PD1 today and noticed the front one uses a switch you have to press to activate it and press again to deactivate it. The front parking sensors on my GS300 were activated with the brake pedal, which is ideal with an automatic, so I was wondering if you could simply fit a rear PD1 to the front and wire it into the brake light like my old system, although this one was designed for this because it remained powered for several seconds after you released the brake pedal. What do you think?

first i've heard of this system and its got my attention!

sorry i couldnt be much help lol!

(i test drove a e class merc, it had front sensors also. no noise, but a light unit right at the front of the dash. it had a green, amber and red light bar. green obviously means it detected an object with it lighting up the rest of the colours when getting closer)

you can see it right at the top(bottom of windscreen)

06C4862.jpg

currently driving a CLK 280 and am loving the parking sensors on it, they are a LCD panel with no numbers (distance) on it.. would really love to get a front and rear setup.. on the CLK the rear sensor is mounted in the roof lining so that when your looking in the rear view mirror you can see it.. would love to do that to the GS

Here's what I asked Parking Dynamics and their reply:

The front parking sensors on my last car were activated when the brake pedal was pressed and remained powered for several seconds after the pedal was released. This was ideal and worked especially well with an automatic. I don't like the idea of having to press a button to activate and deactivate the front PD1 all the time, too much manual intervention, so could either a rear pack be fitted to the front and spliced into the brake light cable (I don't mind it being the same tone and understand it will stop as soon as the pedal is released) or can a front one be spliced into the brake light and the switch left on to achieve the same brake light powered automated results without the need to always remember to switch it on or off?
With regards the front sensor on your previous car i'll asume it was a factory fitted device. In essence the front sensor would only have come

on at below a certain speed when the brake was pressed. So to get the same affect with the PD1 you'll need to activate it via your CAN bus wiring system. So at below for example 10 mph the CAN Bus system will output a signal to the front sensor replacing the manual switch. 1 or 2 customers have asked for this and i've sent them to sempal as i believe they do a CAN Bus interface that will do this. You can alos search opmnline for CAN Bus interface but ensure you get the correct one that switches an output at a determined speed, remember is must be below a certain speed and not above a certain speed.

Check them out here:

http://www.sempal.co.uk/acatalog/SPAL_CAN_...INTERFACES.html

Alternatively you could go the route's you suggest but it could be pretty annoying having to hold the brake light on whilst moving forwards when parking. I think the CAN bus route would be best.

It was an aftermarket kit and was powered whenever the brake pedal was pressed regardless of the speed, which wasn't a problem because you were only near things when parking or in traffic so it was never an annoyance. It had the same tone for the front and rear so I might just get two rear sets and avoid the switch altogether.

on the CLK the rear sensor is mounted in the roof lining so that when your looking in the rear view mirror you can see it.. would love to do that to the GS

I had an aftermarket system like that on my Series I Sport, it was made by Steelmate and I'm sure it was the PTS800MN.

http://www.steel-mate.co.uk/acatalog/Front..._Sensors_2.html

is there any reason why you wouldnt be going back to the steelmate system as it looks a lot nicer in my opinion... and really looking into this now as i should be getting my car back at end of week.. i would look to go for the 8 sensor front and rear system

fair enough... was gonna be getting my sport lip sprayed when i get round to ordering it.. so will pop the sensors in with that when it goes in.

Only thing i was thinking was that my dash is black and my roof grey material... wonder if they would do me a black dashboard display and a grey roof mount

Only thing i was thinking was that my dash is black and my roof grey material... wonder if they would do me a black dashboard display and a grey roof mount

I didn't get an option when I bought mine a few years ago, but the dash display was matt black and the roof mount was more grey than beige. The roof mount actually clips on the roof lining by sliding it on at the back and then you put the plastic surround over it which hides the fitting and looked professional.

I bought a front and rear PD1 set today from eBay and it was about £30 cheaper than buying them both directly from Parking Dynamics even though it appears to be their own eBay store (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Parking-Sensor-Direct).

One question I haven't asked you lot though is: How easy/hard is it to remove the front and rear bumpers on a Series II GS 430 Sport?

The sensors arrived Saturday morning and I can't believe how small all the components are. I'll get some pictures before I fit them.

Can anybody answer my last question please:

How easy/hard is it to remove the front and rear bumpers on a Series II GS 430 Sport? Any tips etc?

I haven't fitted them yet, but a garage has been made available for me to use so hopefully I'll have at least the rear one fitted in the next few weeks. The sooner the better now the rear windows are tinted.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Any update on your install of the PD1 sensors mate?

Sorry for the late reply, but I still haven't fitted either of them yet. Lately I've been thinking I'll probably only fit the rear sensor and sell the front one.

I promise I'll update this thread when I get round to fitting something. :)

Hi Guys,

I have fitted a similar system to my GS (on the rear) with the electromagnetic strip behind the bumper, and it works OK, however compared to the ultrasonic sensors on my jag it is not sensitive enough, and only begins sensing about 70 cm away from an object, meaning it only really comes in to its own in VERY tight parking situations, and even then Im not sure I trust it 100% as it can be prone to false alarms, e.g walls near to but not in the direct path of the car. I only paid about £17 for mine from eBay, however the systems looks and sounds identical to the parking dynamics, so they obviously have a large profit margin.....