Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cheap Reliable Toyota Honda Or Similar

leadfootmelvin

Hmmmm! i have 91 Carina which has been bombproof for 8 years (japanese built) and was about to relinquish it to my son, he's been using it to learn to drive.

the clutch has just developed a fault, possible master/slave cylinder leak, which shouldn't cost too much to fix, but it occurred to me that if it looks like being a costly repair. what should i be looking around for, to replace it?

so, like so many others have probably asked many times before, what would you buy under £1000? they have a good chance of crunching it so nothing too flimsy, and nothing sporty, clearly insurance issues here.

reliability would be the primary goal so no citroens etc.

civic perhaps?

and noooooo! i'm not letting him anywhere near my ls430, except as a passenger, not till he's passed his test anyway.

nissan micra?

nissan primera?

nissan almera?

nissan anyone :P

yea 1.3 micra, nippy little cars off lights. think they are a 16v dohc and best of all timing chain. good and strong. if he dont like that idea almera still cheap insurance. but prob not as nippy as micra.

Thanks coolrides and shake.

Almera 1.4 sounds like a good option. Looks like i could even get an Avensis under a grand.

or even a Skoda Fabia (stop laughing) 8 years old with low miles for £995.

I'm wondering whether to bother with a repair on the carina.

Thanks for your assistance, i've added the nissan.

at this time with the credit crunch you only need to look at auto trader to see how prices are falling. you could get a micra/almera whatever you like for next to nothing. its a great time for a bargain and your the one with the cash so dont give them asking price unless the car is exceptional condition

as for the avensis beware. they have a common problem where not enough oil gets to the cylinder due to bad design of oil rings i think which wears the bore and piston before finally one of your pistonds may throw a leg out of bed. to resolve the problem a new short block is needed. they were under waranty when new as toyota knew about it but older cars beware. think it was around year 2000 they had the problem.

i not sure on which engines but for definate the 1.8 petrol. even some new celicas have oil burning problems and use oil pretty bad

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links