Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Selling Advice And Help

Anees

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still sounds a tad iffy to me - but perhaps me being negative .....Would you send someone £500 that you didnt know for a car you havent seen thats located 100's miles away.....but hopefully all alright and wish it goes well - conveniently a sweet old woman - even adding the "drive carefully".

One thing that should be checked is the origin of the £500 bank transfer - Could of course not be their account and "stolen" - In which case the bank would come after you for the money....

Have I always had this little confidence in human nature ???

Seriously, good luck and hope all goes well.

Todays emails (8.30am):

hay Anees,

Thank you for all the details. I am going to the bank this morning to sort out the deposit.

I know where the Natwest Bank is. The problem you can t drive in the Highstreet it is a carfree zone.

That is why I suggested the Service Station on the M 5 just before you go in to Exeter.

Please let me know wat you want.

Just 1 question left. In the photo graphs the car has a righthand drive like all the English cars

but in the details you discribe it as a lefthand drive. I am almost sure that this is a normal English car going by the photograph.and not a lefthand drive for driving abroad Right side. Anyway call me tonight. I am so exited to have a car again. Living in a remote small village you need a car.

Bye for now. Regards Elga

15.34pm

Hay again ,I think they call the services Granada, but there is only one big servicestation on the M 5 near Exeter. We will take you to the bank and railwaystation.

I am getting quite excited

Just let me know what you want us to do. The deposit you asked for , I put it in this morning cash.

Bye for now let me know what you want us to do. There are so many carparks near the Highstreat that it will

not easy to find eachother. My mobile nr is 0********.

Speak to you soon.

Bye for now Elga

If the money appears in my account today or tomorrow then we are on. A good friend (with a large baseball bat in case of trouble :o ) has offered to follow me down in my BMW for some more backup. He can only come on Sunday, but with a £500 deposit of cleared funds, I am much more at ease. Will get one of those pens to check if the cash is fake too!

Anees

I find it good to summarise things sometimes - as points often get lost through the thread - so here we go;

Old lady who lives in a village where people dont lock their doors - She doesnt do that because its safe around there

She calls you (this old sweet lady) at nearly 11pm at night

She knows places like Manchester are (in her opinion - not me casting aspersions) possible high risk - but because she lives in a safe area shes willing to hand over £500 to someone shes never seen, for a car she's never seen - and doesnt appear to have asked many questions about (service history etc?) - all to a person who lives near to Manchester - that "horrible" place she says is dodgy. (again - not my thoughts - I quite like the place)

She agrees to meet you right by a bank - a supposed old lady trusts a complete stranger to stand over her whilst she takes the money out of her account and hands it over.

She also offers you a lift to the station - Telling you the sob story about an accident and says "drive carefully on your way down".

Hmmm.....

Edit: I was writing this prior to your last comment Anees

Edited by Mark W

Just read and re-read those emails. Couple of things jumped out at me.

First of all the word 'hay' - ignoring the spelling. That doesn't really sound like 'old lady speak'. Same story for the 'here's my mobile nr' - nr is text language.

Secondly the grammar seems a little odd - it's inconsistent.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it?

Another thing - she says the advert is clear on the phone to you, then in the email she's not even sure what side the steering wheel is on?

Another thing - there's 2 different spellings of the word 'street' in the same email. Street and streat.

First of all the word 'hay' - ignoring the spelling. That doesn't really sound like 'old lady speak'. Same story for the 'here's my mobile nr' - nr is text language.

I agree, that email doesn't sound at all like a "little old lady". Sounds like someone who doesn't have English as their native language, but doesn't sound like an older person either.

Still sounds a bit odd to me.

I agree, that email doesn't sound at all like a "little old lady". Sounds like someone who doesn't have English as their native language, but doesn't sound like an older person either.

Great to have such good detective minds on here! :D

She is Eastern European (well the name Elga) kinda gives that away

Great to have such good detective minds on here! :D

I genuinely hope this works for you buddy, I'd love you to prove all the sceptics (myself included) wrong. But until the sale is completed and you have got home with the money, people will not be convinced. I really hope it is genuine though - I love being proved wrong on this kinda thing with my naturally suspicious mind.

Yeah, but if she's supposedly an old lady, why is she using words like "wat" and so forth ? I've encountered non-native English speakers and the ones that I've known don't talk like that.

To me it sounds like someone *trying* to sound "a bit foreign".

Maybe I'm also just too suspicious, I'll be interested to know how it works out.

Ask her to meet you at a local police station for convenience and safety and see what she says. If she's genuine, she won't mind.

I like that suggestion. You can try and sell it to her as you know that she's never met you before, so perhaps she'd feel more comfortable meeting you somewhere like that which will be safe for her. She shouldn't have a problem with it if she's genuine, as WylieCoyote said.

Just got home from work and checked my bank account. She has as promised put £500 in my bank account. It was not a bank transfer but a straight £500 cash deposit. I have transfered the money to my main account ( I was being extra careful and only gave her the details of an account I rarely use).

I have checked my eBay advert and being an idiot I did accidently select Left-hand drive (I blame my dodgy mouse :P) instead of Right Hand Drive so the question is valid.

avoid them mate its a scam. they will then say they sending you a check for way more than the car is worth and it is to cover shipping. they will want the car before thier cheque clears but the money they ask you to write them a cheque for will clear leaving you minus money and minus car.

google search for car buying scam

had same thing before. looks like a mobile number but its not its a premium rate number. i told the police an they said the cant act until somet happens. great law isnt it

BEWARE

avoid them mate its a scam. they will then say they sending you a check for way more than the car is worth and it is to cover shipping. they will want the car before thier cheque clears but the money they ask you to write them a cheque for will clear leaving you minus money and minus car.

google search for car buying scam

had same thing before. looks like a mobile number but its not its a premium rate number. i told the police an they said the cant act until somet happens. great law isnt it

BEWARE

Mate, I get at least one of those a day, usually from Nigerian scamsters. My cousin almost got done by them last year before I told him it was a scam! This is totally different. The money is actually in my bank account and was a cash deposit, not a cheque that takes time to clear.

Based on the advice on here, this is my latest email (kept it sounds friendly)

Hi Elga,

Hope you are well.

I have checked my bank account and you have deposited £500 as agreed. Since you have been so trusting, I would just like to let you know that if you change your mind at any point before I set-off to meet you, you can have your deposit back. Also, if you are worried since you have never met me, I am happy to meet you at your local police station just to put your mind at ease by meeting at a place that is safe for you and to show I am 100% genuine.

I was talking to a friend of mine today and his son. My friend has said that if he is not working he might be able to follow me down to Exeter in his car as long as I pay his fuel both ways. He will give me a lift back too. I will know by tomorrow evening if he can come. If him and his son can come, then I don't have to worry about the train so we have more flexibility about meeting up.

I would also feel happier sending you some better close up pictures of the car which I will do tomorrow after work.

I will give you a call tomorrow evening just to finalise where exactly we are going to meet once my friend tells me if he can come. I am happy at the police station to show you I am genuine and if it helps you feel safer or either the Service Station you suggested on the M5 (Exeter Services) Junction 30 or the railway station car park (which is close to the bank).

The car is registered in my mums name. I am making a receipt for you, which my mum will sign before I leave as well as the cars logbook. In order to make the receipt I need your full name and address please. Is your full name Elga ******* as your email address says? I can email you a copy of the receipt for you to check too if you'd like.

Have a good night and promise I will speak to you tomorrow.

Thanks,

Anees

I can't tell anymore if this is a scam or not but I can't take the anticipation anymore! As long as you go with others and you're in a public place I'm sure you'll be fine.......there's every chance she's totally genuine and just wants to buy a car :)

Isn't it sad that we can no longer simply trust a situation to be exactly what it seems :(

I can't tell anymore if this is a scam or not but I can't take the anticipation anymore! As long as you go with others and you're in a public place I'm sure you'll be fine.......there's every chance she's totally genuine and just wants to buy a car :)

Isn't it sad that we can no longer simply trust a situation to be exactly what it seems :(

Quite.

I think you've handled it fairly Anees. I too am really looking forward to the final outcome when you prove everyone wrong (myself included) and it's totally legit!!!

i would meet at police station and only accept cash. if it a bankers draft or cheque they give you walk away an say not till full amount is in your bank.

i have even heard of the money clearing and then bank turning round and saying it was fake. an they start asking for money back.

just be extra carefull. it highly unlikly someone will buy a car they aint drove or seen. it could be an updated scam from the old one.

good luck

Just done a little digging - Anees - Do you know if the money was paid in as a Cheque/Bankers Draft or Cash.

Apparently, if its a Cheque or Bankers draft - the money will look as if its in your account - however, Banks will only guarantee after a period of 6 days.

If either is found to be a forgery or stolen before that time - the bank will request the money back from you.

Looking at all the scams for car buying - most of them involve the following;

A foreign element

Person offering you more than the cars value to cover "shipping" (yes usually abroad but there is still this element here)

Meeting away from their own address

I'm possibly being over paranoid about this but I just dont want to see a post from you next week on the forum saying you've lost all the money for the car and wasted your (and a friends) day travelling.

I would walk away......

Edit after post:

Also - Under no circumstances pay the moeny (transfer etc) for the deposit back to them before at least 6 working days have past - That could be another well known scam - You possibly getting a call/email before saying they have changed their mind and can they have the money back - You then find out afterwards the original transfer was a forgery and the bank takes it back.

Edited by Mark W