Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Polishing A Lexus?

Hi

to all the lex heads!

I would like to ask if anybody in the forums can advise of the best polishes you can use on your Lexus. I don't mind the cost :shutit: as long as my car comes out shining, I have used a variety of different chemicals but nothing gives me a shine that I long for! A really deep shine, that lasts for absolutely ages :shifty:

I have come to the conclusion that the best product is auto glyms super resin polish,Please quote me if you think i am incorrect....

My car is a IS200 sport v reg the dark Grey type...

With all the Lexus know how in hear, I'm sure we shall get the required info

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

to all the lex heads!

I would like to ask if anybody in the forums can advise of the best polishes you can use on your Lexus. I don't mind the cost :shutit: as long as my car comes out shining, I have used a variety of different chemicals but nothing gives me a shine that I long for! A really deep shine, that lasts for absolutely ages :shifty:

I have come to the conclusion that the best product is auto glyms super resin polish,Please quote me if you think i am incorrect....

My car is a IS200 sport v reg the dark Grey type...

With all the Lexus know how in hear, I'm sure we shall get the required info

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Manny,

My preferences on car wax/polish at the minute are for the Bilt-Hamber Auto Balm,after first washing the car with Bilt-Hamber Auto Wash, it's easy to apply easy to buff up and polish, leaves a deep long term shine.

The only thing to make sure that you do is to make sure the applicater you use is kept moist whilst applying it, I usually spray some Meguiars Quik Detail onto the applicator, which in my opinion adds to the finish. Chemical Guys Wet Look Mirror Finish, has been getting some good reviews recently, and I'm looking at adding that to my growing collection, as a sealant/glaze.

Have a look in some of the detailing forums such as cleanyourcar.co.uk, detailingworld.co.uk, ultimatefinish.co.uk and read some of the reviews in there, not that it will make your choice any easier, as it will introduce you to even more different types of detailing stuff that's out there, plus the lads in here will no doubt let you know of their choices too. But at the end of the day it's what you find you're happy with that's important, here's hoping you don't fork out too much dosh before you find it.

Cheers Nev ;)

Get a clay bar kit something like Meguiars Smooth Paint Surface clay Bar Kit, followed by Super Resin Polish then buff and follow with Collinite 476. Good shine and will last you about 3 - 6 months protection.

Super resin polish on its own wont last long protection wise.

If you want to get into it, have a look at www.detailingworld.co.uk

Get a clay bar kit something like Meguiars Smooth Paint Surface Clay Bar Kit, followed by Super Resin Polish then buff and follow with Collinite 476. Good shine and will last you about 3 - 6 months protection.

That will work well.

There are many detailing threads on here thou, and many people with different methods.

its not the polish you use on it mate.... its that colour ive got the same colour it wants alot to make it really really shiny.

whats ive used is....

gave it good wash with Autoglym wash n wax

Autoglym t-cut wax ( only use if you car has not been polished for aaaaaageeees and paint work feels realy rough)

wash it

Meguiars Car Polish

wash it

Meguiars Wax

wash it

then applied Meguiars Quik Detail spray.

Yea crazy-dee does have a valid point about the colour but its not strictly true

I have had a red car, silver car and now the graphite IS. A darker car is easier to get a nice shine from and to keep it shiny and a lighter car is harder but it is definately possible.

Me and a mate used to spend hours on our cars and i have been able to get a mirror finish to both my red and silver starlets. Alot of it depends on how much time and effort you are willing to put into it and how often.

A full detail on the paintwork for me would be:

1) Wash car panel by panel using meguires gold class car shampoo (Using the megs microfibre mit and NEVER a sponge) and also using the 2 bucket method

2) Dry the car using a waffle weave towel

3) Use the meguires paint renovator

4) Wash and dry car again

5) Use he meguires smooth surface clay kit

6) Wash and dry the car again

7) Polish using Auto Glym super resin polish

8) Wax using Auto Glym Liquid hard wax

This should leave your paintwork smooth as a babies ....

Its not just about polishing and waxing a car, you need to prep the paintwork every now and then. This will not only take unwanted contaminents out of the the paint to leave a deeper shine but will make it easier next time to polish and wax the car.

Hope this helps

If you have anymore questions then feel free to ask as i am willing to help in this area

Right,

I've used Auto-Glym but found it to be very powery when you polish it off............

.......a few years back one of my old modified cars won a competition with a Meguiars bag and polish, so i gave it a go an never looked back. I swear by Meguairs and am always impressed with the result.

Here is a recent thread about my Lex and the process i went through to get it clean........

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=53373

and heres a taster of the result

P1020298.jpg

Let me know if you wana list of the products etc i used.

I ve tried so many things myself and found one company to be the best, poorboys? anyone else use them?

When i m goin for a deep clean i start with-

Autoglym car shampoo

Dried with a waffel weave towel

then use the SS2 scratch removal

then the magic happens lol

i use the dark show glaze

followed by a coating of P22 wax.

And for a quick wash i ll wash and dry then put some wax on.

If you wanna try some poorboys stuff have a look here-

http://www.detailedobsession.com/catalog/

The boy writes a wee letter if you order stuff telling you exactly what to use and how to use it.

Very good prices on clothes and applicators too.

The pic in my sigs prob the closest after the car bein cleaned.

Funnily enough I find myself in the same boat as I have just picked up my Lexus on Saturday.

Its got some swirl marks from previous washing which needs to go!

First up I would wash the car using a quality shampoo. Einszett Perls Shampoo is the best Ive come across. Beads like mad and leaves glossy wax over the car. Use a Meguiars wash mitt and not a sponge and dont use washing up liquid.

As for the wheels, I would use a car shampoo such as AG shampoo, and AG Machine cleaner in the arches, which really brings them up to a factory finish

Purchase a clay bar and some lubricant. (Meguiars) Spray each panel and rub the clay bar over the bodywork. Sounds mad but it removes tree sap and dirt that isnt easily visible and leaves the surface feeling like glass.

Now your ready for polishing. Ideally if you have a porter-cable polisher you can apply the polish via machine and really break it down, better than hand. Polishes such as AG Super Resin Polish, Klasse AIO, Menzerna Final Finish, Megs #80 Megs #83 are ideal depending on how bad the swirling is.

The link below will show the machine and pads. This really takes your polishing to the next level. And its safe on paint. I.e. unless your being really stupid, you cant burn through the paint work.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/po...t/prod_415.html

After this I would finish off with some Collinite 476 doublecoat. The best durable wax I have used and great for Winter. It also leaves a great finish, darkening the paint slightly.

Cant think of much more, but hope that helps!

Happy cleaning

Joe

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links