Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Series Ii Gs430 Sport Knocking Noise At The Rear

I've got a strange knocking noise at the rear of my car and it sounds like it's the left side (near side). My Dad thought it was the tools etc that are in the boot, but I wasn't convinced because the knocking happens at slow speeds which aren't enough to make things move with enough force to sound as loud as it does. I removed everything anyway and as soon as I pulled off the drive this morning the noise was still there. All I can tell you is it happens at slow speeds when I'm entering and leaving driveways that have a slight slope up to them, like the ones where you have to cross a path, when the car is twisted and flexing whilst steering, usually to the left. The sound doesn't happen in a straight line or going over bumps in the road or speed bumps and I can't replicate it with the car stationary and bouncing the suspension.

I haven't jacked it up to have a look yet and will get the dealer to have a look when they've got it on the ramps for the service, but I was wondering if anybody here had any suggestions as to what it might be. It's annoying and doesn't sound good, but hopefully it's something simple due to the infrequency of it.

:(

I've got a strange knocking noise at the rear of my car and it sounds like it's the left side (near side). My Dad thought it was the tools etc that are in the boot, but I wasn't convinced because the knocking happens at slow speeds which aren't enough to make things move with enough force to sound as loud as it does. I removed everything anyway and as soon as I pulled off the drive this morning the noise was still there. All I can tell you is it happens at slow speeds when I'm entering and leaving driveways that have a slight slope up to them, like the ones where you have to cross a path, when the car is twisted and flexing whilst steering, usually to the left. The sound doesn't happen in a straight line or going over bumps in the road or speed bumps and I can't replicate it with the car stationary and bouncing the suspension.

I haven't jacked it up to have a look yet and will get the dealer to have a look when they've got it on the ramps for the service, but I was wondering if anybody here had any suggestions as to what it might be. It's annoying and doesn't sound good, but hopefully it's something simple due to the infrequency of it.

:(

Never had this one myself so I'd be interested to hear what it is - not a bush issue as it would show over bumps.

I would suggest that you contact the previous owner to see what issues, if any, he had with the car. It's possible he could point you in right direction for any faults and you can then contact the garage where you purchased it from to rectify. He may also be able to shed light on your key not closing windows remotely.

He may also be able to shed light on your key not closing windows remotely.

I've found out this is an option that can be enabled and disabled by Lexus dealers, so I guess some cars come with it enabled while others come with it disabled. I'm going to get Lexus to enable the transmitter window roll up feature when it's in for its service.

As for the knocking, it's still there and I haven't had a chance to get the car up yet for an inspection. It's definitely not there when driving over bumps and speed bumps and I cannot make it do it when the car is stationary, but it always happens when turning onto inclined surfaces like driveways and multi-story car park ramps.

As I said before, try phoning the previous owner nto see if he had any problems with the car. His name/address will be on V5 and get his phone number online. Nothing to lose and could be that he can help diagnose the problem.

• 1 year later...

That's bizarre mate! At least you've done better than me - I had a knocking noise and it turned out the spring had snapped! Or at least it had given way when I got up to Charlesworth ! Ooops!

My knocking noise has completely gone. It might be coincidence, but I noticed it started to get quieter and quieter around the time I started having problems with my headlight auto height adjusment and now that has completely failed I don't have any knocking noise at all.

I just can't believe you've been driving with a knocking noise for such a long time. Has it not been serviced in that time as I would have expected it to be picked up during a service.

I just can't believe you've been driving with a knocking noise for such a long time. Has it not been serviced in that time as I would have expected it to be picked up during a service.

It went through two services and MOTs while the noise was there and no comments were made regarding it and I even asked Lexus to look for it on one of the services, but then again I could never make it happen with the car stood still.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links