Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Farewell To Lexus - Or Good Riddance!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today the advantage of split fold rear seats came into their own. Three rear alloys, one front and a large bike lift that I was able to fit in the back easily and with room to spare. I'd have needed to hire a van if I still had the IS.

MPG in stop start traffic is averaging 26 to 29 mpg.

the 110kg difference in weight would'nt make much difference to fuel economy and btw my 3.5t transit does 26mpg fully loaded. :whistling:

Interesting stats you have there. In Finland, the official curb weight for the IS 220d is 1660 kg, whereas S80 D5 A weighs 1652 kg according to the manufacturer.
in uk the is 220 weighs 1560kg with the volvo 110kg more,not enough to make a significant consumption difference.

Interesting stats you have there. In Finland, the official curb weight for the IS 220d is 1660 kg, whereas S80 D5 A weighs 1652 kg according to the manufacturer.
in uk the is 220 weighs 1560kg with the volvo 110kg more,not enough to make a significant consumption difference.

1560 is the weight of the base model, but luxury model (SE-L ?) weights 1660 as Finlex wrote.

1560 is the weight of the base model, but luxury model (SE-L ?) weights 1660 as Finlex wrote.

i think the base model was the one that philthy owned.

The D5 is also a 2.4 five cylinder transverse 20 valve engine putting out more horses, which probably partway accounts for the poorer fuel consumption. That and my enjoyment of the right boot. :) It's quoted figures for the greartronic are:

BHP 185

Torque 400nm

0-60 8.5 secs

top speed 140mph

drag co-efficient 0.29

Urban 28.8

Combined 38.7

Extra urban 48.7

CO2 193

Min kerb weight 1702kg (actual kerb weight dependent on spec)

The mpg wasn't an issue for me other than any claim for the IS220d to be a class leader when it clearly isn't.

Haf,

I'm sure I've seen you on the beemer forums... :shifty:

Basically the choice is huge...and you are in a good position!! I can fully recommend the 5er, it won't have the kit any Lexus has, and the Satnav hasn't been improved even though they have just put the new quick access buttons around the idrive. The SatNav has better features (expecially the googlemaps and connected drive stuff), but overall the Lexus one was better at actually using roads you would use if you looked at an AtoZ. The BMW nav uses strange combinations though it does work and gets you there...

On the 3 series however, you now have a Satnav/Bluetooth system with a HDD (hard disc drive) and I think USB port, all fully functional through steering controls, with better resolution screen. In fact it so similar to the Audi MMI now, in look, feel and functionality.

the ride on both 3 and 5 LCI is much improved over the earlier versions, even with RF's. The Sport models have a firm suspension, and you can't really tell it's on Runflats any more.

Seriously...the Audi A6 (forget the rubbish new A4) is an awesome car, and had it not been for the fact that I couldn't get a slightly used Mulitronic 2.0TFSI Sline with the DVD I would have bought one in July. They are awesome - the space, comfort of the SLine seats etc!! They wanted to me to wait for the faceliftd one (which is out now)...even they come with the new MMI and HDD etc...the ride is brilliant, the quality of the interior etc is excellent and in many respects and it's an equal to the 5er...(though the interior is marginally better made than a 5er)...

I couldn't wait as the Lexus had to go...so bought the 5er, and I am totally happy wih it!! I wouldn't change it for anything, except maybe an A6 3.0TDI Quattro Sline!!

Other cars? Well the Passatt CC is great, the A5 is awesome if you can live with 2 doors...but you really should look at anything/everything in the lease price bracket...and Volvo! The S80, if you want a bigger car ticks all the boxes!!

It really is a buyers market and any exec car is a bargain (not just BMW)...deals are there for the taking, with most offering up to 15% discount if you are prepared to haggle on cars "on hand". the GS is selling for so little now...as are even the petrol 5er's. You can get a fully spec'd 530i Sport Auto, 2008, or a GS300 SE for less than £30k. That is a bargain!

BTW - it looks like the F10 will not be out for possibly 18 months yet. normally it's 3 years aftr LCI, so 2010 I rckon, and even then it will hit USA first!!

EDIT - forgot to add - I sat in the new V70 the other day (mates hire car) and was totally impressed...what a cracking car...didn't actually drive it, but it seemed well made an smart inside.

Your comment, "forget the rubbish new A4".

Would you go into a bit more detail please, point me to some owner feedback as I've owned a few over time and always been well satisfied.

Thanks.

I suppose looking at the figures comparing the S80 and IS220d, power and weight are virtually the same so the poorer fuel consumption of the Volvo can only really be put down to the auto box and older design of engine.

If you call a 142kg not very different although I wouldn't want to be physically carrying it anywhere. The manual S80 D5 does have better quoted figures:

Urban 34

Extra urban 53.3

Combined 44.1

CO2 169

As said though, fuel efficiency wasn't a concern.

Would you go into a bit more detail please, point me to some owner feedback as I've owned a few over time and always been well satisfied.

Thanks.

We had one of the new A4s - 2.0T petrol in a rather striking white with tan leather interior, it certainly turned a few heads. It was a bit bigger inside and handled a bit better too, but it didn't really feel like a massive leap forward over the previous model. I did think that the interior was not constructed as well as the previous model either. It certainly wasn't rubbish though - just not attractive enough to get me out of my Lexus.

Thanks.

We had one of the new A4s - 2.0T petrol in a rather striking white with tan leather interior, it certainly turned a few heads. It was a bit bigger inside and handled a bit better too, but it didn't really feel like a massive leap forward over the previous model. I did think that the interior was not constructed as well as the previous model either. It certainly wasn't rubbish though - just not attractive enough to get me out of my Lexus.

A4 - my humble opinion:

Looks - the rear end looks very "fat". Those rear lights do not do the car any justice at all. Not in my eye's anyway...It just looks peculiar...

The only colours that look good are White and Silver. Anything dark and the car is un-noticeable on the road...that might appeal to some...but the cars that are dirty look decidedly "old" and not like a new car at all...

The handling is good, better than the IS imho (not bouncy going around corners), but not good enough really. The new C Class and 3 series are better. The ride is typically germanic - firm...

The driving position in the manual - both your legs go too far to the right. After a 12 mile test drive, I felt uncomfotable - especially my left hip!! The MT or TpiT are OK...overall driving position isn't too clver though...and I wanted to get out!!

The level of kit is typically stingy, though the standard stereo is nice and the sports seats in the S Line are great

The interior construction/some materials have taken a slight step backards. Some of the knobs turn without the same robust feel...like the Stereo on/off - too much lateral play in the buttons...

Overall it's a missed opportunity, and it will always come third in the german ranking...and like I say - compared to the A6, the A4 just doesn't feel like good VFM at all...that's why I think it's a bit rubbish! The A6 on the other hand is bigger, but tht aside for the money it feels like a propr prestige marque...

Exiled - Go try both A4 and A6 for yourself...then compare the A4 to a VW Passatt - OK the VW is a cheaper, but I think a cracking car for the money!!

Thanks.

A4 - my humble opinion:

Looks - the rear end looks very "fat". Those rear lights do not do the car any justice at all. Not in my eye's anyway...It just looks peculiar...

The only colours that look good are White and Silver. Anything dark and the car is un-noticeable on the road...that might appeal to some...but the cars that are dirty look decidedly "old" and not like a new car at all...

The handling is good, better than the IS imho (not bouncy going around corners), but not good enough really. The new C Class and 3 series are better. The ride is typically germanic - firm...

The driving position in the manual - both your legs go too far to the right. After a 12 mile test drive, I felt uncomfotable - especially my left hip!! The MT or TpiT are OK...overall driving position isn't too clver though...and I wanted to get out!!

The level of kit is typically stingy, though the standard stereo is nice and the sports seats in the S Line are great

The interior construction/some materials have taken a slight step backards. Some of the knobs turn without the same robust feel...like the Stereo on/off - too much lateral play in the buttons...

Overall it's a missed opportunity, and it will always come third in the german ranking...and like I say - compared to the A6, the A4 just doesn't feel like good VFM at all...that's why I think it's a bit rubbish! The A6 on the other hand is bigger, but tht aside for the money it feels like a propr prestige marque...

Exiled - Go try both A4 and A6 for yourself...then compare the A4 to a VW Passatt - OK the VW is a cheaper, but I think a cracking car for the money!!

The quality of finish in my 2004 A4 S4 Avant is far far better than any BMW 3 of the same age :winky: and yes ive had BMW 330d sport :D

The quality of finish in my 2004 A4 S4 Avant is far far better than any BMW 3 of the same age :winky: and yes ive had BMW 330d sport :D

Gord - spot on - The older model A4 was the benchmark, and I reckon still is, even now!!!

I had a '52 plate TDi 130 and I hav to say it still remains the best made compact exec I ever owned...my 5er is on a par, but it should be - it's the next level up...

Gord - spot on - The older model A4 was the benchmark, and I reckon still is, even now!!!

I had a '52 plate TDi 130 and I hav to say it still remains the best made compact exec I ever owned...my 5er is on a par, but it should be - it's the next level up...

Must say, ive not been in new model, Audi or BMW, so dont really know.

Ps, Sorry Anees, you you did notice the difference, within sec's of getting in the S4 :P well just after you closed the door getting in :lol:

I suppose looking at the figures comparing the S80 and IS220d, power and weight are virtually the same so the poorer fuel consumption of the Volvo can only really be put down to the auto box and older design of engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_D5_engine

lookls like the D4-D is older design.

Ps, Sorry Anees, you you did notice the difference, within sec's of getting in the S4 :P well just after you closed the door getting in :lol:

Yeah the quality of your cup holders is a different league....... ::P :P

BUT seriously..............

I do think that the quality of the finish on many newer audi's is really impressve. Very solid feeling with nice plastics. The RS4 interior is just.... B) B)

• 3 years later...

The Lexus dealers obviously must vary a lot in quality. My own experience (Lexus Bracknell) was that this was my best dealer experience in over 30 years of motoring. I couldn't fault their sales service and would most definitely use them again. The handover experience when I picked up my car was excellent - even though I was buying from the cheapest end of the range I felt like I was treated as an LS buyer! The followup from them to check I was happy with the car was also excellent.

I agree all i wanted was the headlight washers adjusted and really didnt know how to do this so i tooke it there ready to pay and was a free of charge service very please with "Lexus Bracknell" definitely go back to them when looking to buy next Lexus for the service and friendly manner I was treated :)