Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Have I Done The Right Thing?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let's just clarify that scarlett pimpernells car had economy problems,mine compares very well the competition with regular tank avg at 43mpg.

Edited by janey
Removal of 'off topic/derogatory remark'

Just for the record it's not just my car that gives/gave poor economy several do

Well mine has done as of today 10,118 miles is 11 months old, has averaged according to the total mpg 35.9 mpg & just received a recorded letter inviting me contact the dealer to have the 5th injector changed..

Not what I call the best economy, but considering most of the miles are covered by my wife in stop / start traffic is it that bad? I think it's bad but others may say it is acceptable.. given the driving conditions..

And as of Wednesday next week will be a member of 5th injector changed club... Woohoo :)

Thanks to all of the responses - I should be picking up the car on Saturday. And you are correct, I will definitely miss the performance. the VXRPC Stage 2 and Remus exhaust is a heady combination. way to addictive. The Lexus is a totally different drive.

Anyway, I have made my decision and I do not regret it.

I like fact that it isn't a beemer and the lines and shut gaps are nice and clean. I will put 18" Momo V10's on it as soon as funds allow

Old and New

DSC00020.jpg

Thanks to all of the responses - I should be picking up the car on Saturday. And you are correct, I will definitely miss the performance. the VXRPC Stage 2 and Remus exhaust is a heady combination. way to addictive. The Lexus is a totally different drive.

Anyway, I have made my decision and I do not regret it.

I like fact that it isn't a beemer and the lines and shut gaps are nice and clean. I will put 18" Momo V10's on it as soon as funds allow

Old and New

DSC00020.jpg

well done welshman,get yourself some carlack Long Life Sealant to seal in the shine it's the dog's dangeles.from clean your car .co.uk.

I think the picture below says a lot really. No way have you made a bad decision. The Astra is quite a nice looking car but it looks a bit cheap compared to that very nice IS at the side of it. Bumper paint colour match on VXR not good at all.

DSC00020.jpg

I think the picture below says a lot really. No way have you made a bad decision. The Astra is quite a nice looking car but it looks a bit cheap compared to that very nice IS at the side of it. Bumper paint colour match on VXR not good at all.
DSC00020.jpg

Well done Chap and as already said

there is no comparison to the Astra and Lexus

I as many other 220 owners am well impressed with it

The mark levinson system makes up for the Diesel guides :winky:

Like being at a concert in yer own car

Also to seal the colour i use harley wax on Mine (caxton Slate) and it is so easy to use

regards Matt

One final point is that people buy a diesel mainly for economy and economy alone - and the IS does not deliver when compared to other makes. Not just at the pumps, but also in servicing costs, VED etc.

The true measure of economy is to use the Cost of Ownership i.e initial cost plus running expenses less residual cost, all discounted for time value of money.

I haven't done any calculations - I am happy with my cars overall performance - but when I consider the price bmw were asking for the 320d, I would be shocked if the is220d did not turn out to have lowest cost of ownership.

The point has been made here often enough but if you calculate out the extra diesel cost, it still does not outweigh the difference in purchase price.

You're probably correct - Lexus's are fantastic value for money.

Ultimately though no one would ever spec up a new car to the extent the IS or any Lexus is spec'd. You'd be mad for that very reason as you'd never see a penny back - so it clouds the calculation as it isn't realistic. Also, the servicing costs of a Lexus over 3 years are much higher - so you have to take that into consideration, and then finally the PEX price you could get...

Couple this with Co2 missions which are high compared with the competition. Other than a couple of the Hybrids which make some sense any potential buyer will face those VED bills too... and it makes a car less saleable - So it ain't that simple anymore for Lexus...

The point is made above though - unless you do a lot of miles, or you can get 20% better economy over a petrol equiv., most diesels are not worth the bother

You're probably correct - Lexus's are fantastic value for money.

That was not the point. If you are going to make a decison to purchase a car based on economy then you need to be sure that you are considering all the relevant costs and not just some of the costs.

Ultimately though no one would ever spec up a new car to the extent the IS or any Lexus is spec'd. You'd be mad for that very reason as you'd never see a penny back - so it clouds the calculation as it isn't realistic. Also, the servicing costs of a Lexus over 3 years are much higher - so you have to take that into consideration, and then finally the PEX price you could get...

Couple this with Co2 missions which are high compared with the competition. Other than a couple of the Hybrids which make some sense any potential buyer will face those VED bills too... and it makes a car less saleable - So it ain't that simple anymore for Lexus...

The formula for cost of ownership deals with this all of your points.

If you spec it up and there no resale value - your residual value is lower.

Servicing costs would fall into operating expenses.

VED Bill would also fall into operating expenses. The effect on resale value would be picked up in residual value.

The point is made above though - unless you do a lot of miles, or you can get 20% better economy over a petrol equiv., most diesels are not worth the bother

If you calculate the cost of ownership correctly, then the mileage covered during the period of ownership and the fuel consumed will be correctly factored into the calculation.

The cost of ownership model works and is used by fleet buyers and other buyers of equipment etc.

So if you want to compare two cars, then calculate your cost of ownership for each and compare them.

All the factors you raise will be dealt with appropriately.

My original point was that if you focus on the fuel economy alone, you could make a big mistake.

Ultimately though no one would ever spec up a new car to the extent the IS or any Lexus is spec'd. You'd be mad for that very reason as you'd never see a penny back

then you can buy the base IS, and it's still cheaper and better equipped then 320d.

the difference between both base models here in Slovakia is 9100 euros.

- so it clouds the calculation as it isn't realistic. Also, the servicing costs of a Lexus over 3 years are much higher - so you have to take that into consideration, and then finally the PEX price you could get...

why do you think? well truth is that the brake components are 1/3 cheaper in bmw than in lexus, but this makes 100 euros per 40.000kms in my case. Oil and filters are roughly the same (oil filter in IS is the same than in avensis and costs 15 euros I think). Labor cost is roughly the same.

On the other hand, you have to buy runflat tires for bmw, which are much more expensive and difficult to get than standard ones.

So I think the servicing is roughly the same.

with 9100 euros more expensive car you have to pay higher insurance. If you finance the car, you pay higher interest.

Overall, the only advantage of bmw, when speaking about money, is the consumption, which is generally 1 liter per 100km lower than the IS.

This makes about 1,2 euros per 100kms = 1200 euros per 100.000kms.

After 100.000kms there will more than 8.000 euros difference, and I don't believe you will ever get this money back. Bmw is high valued marque, but lexus is still very well known for it's reliability (which opposites the bmw) so on the second hand car market it is not lost case at all.

So I have to agree with 06g220d - looking only at the consumption figures is a big mistake.

on the other hand, I have to agree with this words and it would be true also for lexus but....but lexus is probably the only marque in the world, where diesel engine is marginally cheaper then petrol.

I suppose that ultimately, if you were buying a car because it was cheaper per mile, you would buy a smaller car, or a 2nd hand luxury car (where somone else has taken the hit).

Also, people should consider headroom, legroom, boot space, driving dynamics, comfort and reliability etc before buying any car - not just economy or cost per mile - these are all important things - and if you're spending >£20k on a car, simple cost per mile might not mean too much to some people. Otherwise we would buy a 2 door sports car everytime !

Ultimately though, costs aside, the IS250/220 has all the gear you will ever need and some people are happier with that. Who can blame them?? It was good enough for me to make me buy one...

Also - there is a good reason why the D is cheapr than the Petrol one - it doesn't compare!! The petrol is 6 Cyl, the D is a 4 pot, smaller displacmnt, like Jag XF range where I think in the UK the diesel is cheaper, and I think the outgoing the 7 series (730d v 730i) was too....

If Lexus made, for exmple, a IS250d (6 cyl 2.5) it would be more expensive...and a Hybrid certainly would be! I think the 7 series were both 3.0l 6 cyls, but the diesel was cheaper as no flagship model of a luxury car should ever be a diesel!!!!! Ultimatly it coms down to what you want to pay and what you wat to buy...it's a personal choice.

let's not forget that unless a bmw is specified upto the lexus level the used buyers are not interested in purchasing and that is why bmw are depreciating so much.jamboo,didn't you say that your bmw had only 5k miles but had lost about 15k, it's no wonder bmw are trying to stop their dealers from discounting as they have become the new ford mondeo and the depreciation that comes with it.a victim of their own sales ,how sad.

let's not forget that unless a bmw is specified upto the lexus level the used buyers are not interested in purchasing and that is why bmw are depreciating so much.jamboo,didn't you say that your bmw had only 5k miles but had lost about 15k, it's no wonder bmw are trying to stop their dealers from discounting as they have become the new ford mondeo and the depreciation that comes with it.a victim of their own sales ,how sad.

Actually it was 5k on the clock and £11k cheaper...and for that I have an efficient car that is beautifully put together and I don't feel I've paid too much for silly things like wooden steering wheels or Yamaha Piano wood!!!

My advice would be to go check out the Lxus website, and see how much GS's are going for...

Let me sav you the bother...Lexus have several GS450h's SEL's, with less than 10k on the clock for less than what I paid for mine. Some are newer with a "*" next to the price - so offers welcome...Now that's what I call depreciation, especially as it's supposed to be the ground breaking car of the future and Lexus's saviour...so lets not go there! And how much was that new? over £45K - that's more than £4k more than the list price of mine...so your argument has fallen over over in a small heap.

As for the GS300, well, just see how many nearly new ones are going for a lot less than £30k....so whilst BMW (according to you) are having bad times and no one wants their "junk", Lexus aren't reeling anyone in, no matter how much bling they chuck in...

I fear that brands like Lexus will be hit harder than BMW, MB Audi or anyone else in the credit Munch...the cars are not efficient enough - not even the Hyb's., and that will not help...

Guy's once again please remember this is Welshmans thread not yours for bickering in.

Welshman has now made his decision and has got himself a great looking car which most of all he is chuffed with so lets all get on with congratulating & helping him out eh :D

Guy's once again please remember this is Welshmans thread not yours for bickering in.

Welshman has now made his decision and has got himself a great looking car which most of all he is chuffed with so lets all get on with congratulating & helping him out eh :D

Agreed - congratulations Welshman! Good choice. :D

Yeah welldone chap Good choice and love the colour

and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club

i might just regret this :whistling: ha ha

But there still seems to be a odd couple that no longer own

a Lexus but need to keep going on and on, its time to move on

As was said in TOY STORY go back to your life citizens.

Matt