Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mobile Phone

Gord

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony the tyger's back....... :lol::lol:

you hate it when people advise towards an 'Iphone competitor' don't ya fella??

we'll see shall we. the proof of the pudding, as they say, is in the tasting.

Without question, the sexy SEX1 is a lovely handset and i'm sure SE will not make a hash of it - they are A LOT more renound for making PHONES than Mr Jobbs...... :lol::lol:

Just watched the demo on the SE website, and the X1 is looking seriously cool! Much better than the preminary stuff that was going around a few months ago.........I really want one now but my contract isn't up till Feb :crybaby:

Only thing I don't like is how large these phones are all getting, for a while they were a really good size (like the HTC touch) but now thanks to the stupid Iphone they're all getting bigger and bigger.............also wish they'd stuck the 5MP camera in rather than the 3.2 but that isn't a huge issue :)

Just watched the demo on the SE website, and the X1 is looking seriously cool! Much better than the preminary stuff that was going around a few months ago.........I really want one now but my contract isn't up till Feb :crybaby:

Only thing I don't like is how large these phones are all getting, for a while they were a really good size (like the HTC touch) but now thanks to the stupid iPhone they're all getting bigger and bigger.............also wish they'd stuck the 5MP camera in rather than the 3.2 but that isn't a huge issue :)

lol, they're not that big really :hehe:

the 3.2 MP camera is still damn good and got a good few toys etc. also has a great video camera etc and yes, ur right, they look VERY cool.

when i get one i'll put up a thread about it and a little blog type thing for those interested. Be interesting to hear ur feedback Tyger.....sure it'll be all out praise :lol::lol:

a) Of course the demo looks cool. It's a demo.

B) The proof IS in the pudding.

c) "Pretty" can't hide the crud underneath - Windows Mobile. Don't worry though - you will soon know what OS you are running when the usual Windows issues start plaguing your experience.

d) If you want a camera get a camera. You are falling for the big numbers game these companies are playing. Don't be fooled.

e) I have used an X1 and it is no more or less than I expected. A WM phone. Oh dear.

f) If you choose to buy this phone you basically have not done your research.

g) I say it again. Don't waste your money. It is mutton dressed as lamb.

h) yes absolutley the Iphone is a far better, capable and slicker product.

i) Let's see how many people are queueing up for the X1 on launch day...

j) I couldn't care less if people recommend the X1. No one here will have used one and so it is a hollow recomendation.

j) To quote someone famous - "It's the OS stupid."

k) If you choose to waste your money on a substandard out of date user-experience and fall for undemonstarted hype rather than useful, functional, secure and slick and choose to buy into the terribly declining WM market then that's your choice. It takes all sorts! :)

I repeat - I have used an X1 (I build mobile networks and get to use the new stuff) and it is just another WM phone. Just like any Alienware PC is just another Windoze box.

Wake up people! A revolution in the mobile industry is passing you by and you are not even noticing it...

The Iphone mobile computing platform will grow and dominate the industry for the forseeable future. It's a 2 horse race, albeit in slightly different markets between RIM and apple. WM is as good as dead. All I have to do it wait and I will be proved right. :)

:lol::lol:

brilliant. quote of the day:

"if you want a camera buy a camera"

to which i will have to reply:

"if you want an ipod buy and ipod. if you want the internet, buy a computer and a 12 month BT subscription"

there will always be 2 sides to an arguement mate, and u seem to hold this moral high ground about an apple product that really isn't that much cop (from my point of view - if u remember, i had one WAYYYY before they were launched over here and binned it about 3 months later....)

I have never said they are ugly, or rubbish, but what i have said is they lack features which, IMO, are required for a phone on the domestic market. People want good camera's on the phone, and video capture functionality. they want to be able to fully customise the phone and add this that and the other with ease. they want to be able to get to the battery/sim etc etc. The Iphone looks lovely, so much so i got one, but as i didn't like it ended up with an ipod touch - which is great!!

but unfortunately, times move on and new and dare i say it, better, products hit the market. the consumers will decide how they find it. i will decide how i find it. i don't need you, or anyone else filling my eyes and ears with hear say until i have had a go myself. I've been into mobile phones for as long as i can remember and i know when there is something that appeals to me, so i'll stick to my hunch and see how things go.

i'm very suprised you have managed to have a play on the X1 - any real life pics of it??

You are familiar with the App store?

Video recording apps and just about anything you can name is available there as well as hundreds of fantastic games.

I hope you are using this to download apps to your Touch?

Pics of the X1? You must be joking. They watched my every move with it and come to think of it I shouldn't even have mentioned it!

I hope the X1 is what you are looking for and you are blissfully happy with it. But is is just another WM phone...

Normally if you wait till your contract is up, then request your PAC, you'll get called by the outbound team who often offer far more than normal customer services.

Better doing it that way to get the best deal :)

Thanks will do that, by the way whats, PAC :question: my number

PAC is your porting number authorisation code. Means you can port your number across to another network. As thingy said, retentions are best at dishing deals out.

As for the comments about the Iphone. Great bit of kit. Good for music, email, internet and navigation. Hefty price tag mind.

:lol::lol:

brilliant. quote of the day:

"if you want a camera buy a camera"

to which i will have to reply:

"if you want an ipod buy and ipod. if you want the internet, buy a computer and a 12 month BT subscription"

there will always be 2 sides to an arguement mate, and u seem to hold this moral high ground about an apple product that really isn't that much cop (from my point of view - if u remember, i had one WAYYYY before they were launched over here and binned it about 3 months later....)

I have never said they are ugly, or rubbish, but what i have said is they lack features which, IMO, are required for a phone on the domestic market. People want good camera's on the phone, and video capture functionality. they want to be able to fully customise the phone and add this that and the other with ease. they want to be able to get to the battery/sim etc etc. The iphone looks lovely, so much so i got one, but as i didn't like it ended up with an ipod touch - which is great!!

but unfortunately, times move on and new and dare i say it, better, products hit the market. the consumers will decide how they find it. i will decide how i find it. i don't need you, or anyone else filling my eyes and ears with hear say until i have had a go myself. I've been into mobile phones for as long as i can remember and i know when there is something that appeals to me, so i'll stick to my hunch and see how things go.

i'm very suprised you have managed to have a play on the X1 - any real life pics of it??

You couldnt get on with an Iphone, but love the ipod touch? :unsure: what?! Its the same, only one makes phone calls? Im confused?!

Only thing I don't like is how large these phones are all getting, for a while they were a really good size (like the HTC touch) but now thanks to the stupid iPhone they're all getting bigger and bigger.............also wish they'd stuck the 5MP camera in rather than the 3.2 but that isn't a huge issue :)

One major problem with X1, it runs on Ms software... we all know how thats runs...

Sony Ericsson need to start making handsets that are reliable again...

You couldnt get on with an iPhone, but love the ipod touch? :unsure: what?! Its the same, only one makes phone calls? Im confused?!

I think it's a fair point, it's the phone side of things that really lets the Iphone down, as a music player and browser it's very good indeed.

You couldnt get on with an iPhone, but love the ipod touch? :unsure: what?! Its the same, only one makes phone calls? Im confused?!

I think it's a fair point, it's the phone side of things that really lets the Iphone down, as a music player and browser it's very good indeed.

Im still struggling to see how. It receives calls no problems as it does to make calls. It supports all the other network services like call divert, hold, conference etc. Its got one service only the Iphone does, visual voicemail. Now im not saying the phones perfect, its so not, but its Apples second effort. With every software/firmware update its better and better.....how many people with new SE or Nokia Symbian handset users have problems? Im confident in saying at least 99% of users have had issues at some point. Still, everyones entitled to their opinion....doesn't mean i have to agree with it :lol:

One major problem with X1, it runs on Ms software... we all know how thats runs...

Sony Ericsson need to start making handsets that are reliable again...

It runs ok, no? :unsure:

So which handsets would you recommend over the X1 mate?

guess it's one of those personal preference things

Apologies to Gord as we appear to have hijacked his original post

Its ok Mark, im finding it very intresting, and finding out about phone's or are thay computers/sat nav, etc etc :D

I haven't personally had a WM phone for a while, the last one was the iMate Jam which is going back some, but I had no problems with that at all. It was before the time of fancy interfaces and stuff, but as a phone and a PDA it worked brilliantly.

My brother has been through a few now, an HTC Touch and now an Omnia, and he seems really happy with it too. In terms of the OS it all works fine and it's not particularly slow either. I'm not sure why everyone makes such a big fuss about Windows products when for some people they work absolutely fine.

And yes the apple "supports" everything you need to, but doesn't do very simple and basic tasks which would either irritate you severely, or you'd just put it aside and use something else (as Rob has)

It will get fixed in time, but it is very clear when you use an Iphone that they really didn't think through all the things normal phones do, and worked heavily on the browser side of things (which is amazing) and then just made sure the phone could make and receive calls, and then added visual voicemail (also excellent) to make sure it had one marketing tool on the phone side of things.

As the parts they worked on were so good, I have no doubt it will get sorted, I just wish it had already happened when the 3G was launched...........

hey up kaz.

i have the touch purepy as an mp3 player - and its the best out there i'd say. i also have the new samsung mp3 player, but its not quite what i wanted it to be.

i ditched the Iphone as it didnt do what i wanted it to do - allbeit some download applications are now available (why not just have the bloody things installed from the off!!!) and i wanted an all in one kinda device. from what ive read and been informed, the X1 will far exceed my needs and have evrything i initially wanted from the Iphone. i know the touch is virtually identical, just lacking the phone side - and thats why its hooked up to a sound system in my house at my disposal whenever i want to use it......

the Iphone was a great step forward for the phone industry. its made the likes of SE and Nokia (the two giants of the phone industry) wake up and start developing better looking more functional handsets. for me, the SE user interface is very very good! for the novice/amatur phone user. they are great to get on with and very straight forward. they also have more advanced features for those requiring them.

everyones different at the end of the day. i got an Iphone because i thought it looked very nice and some of the features were great. but its not until you try somwthing out for yourself that u realise if its what its cracked up to be from a personal level. for me, nope, it didn't work out, but for others it has. Its the same with cars, you ngotta live with something for a while and assess its pros and cons.

@tyger, doesn't suprise me you couldn't get any pics of the X1, they like to keep things below radar pre launch don't they. ah, by the way mate, what phone do you have??

You will not fall off your chair when I divulge that I have an Iphone!

A 1st generation Iphone. *gasp*

I choose not to have a 3G one because...

a) 3G coverage is generally patchy at the best of times for just about all networks in the areas I frequent.

B) When I am in a city or a place to chill out and actuallly take advantage of higer data speeds to my phone there is generally WiFi available anyway.

c) I am reasonably happy with the speeds EDGE gives me anyway.

d) The Lex is all Sat Nav'd up and when I am not in the car I generally know where I am (!) so I don't have the need for GPS. The triangulation method using mobie base stations is enough for me.

e) It can do 99% of what the Iphone 3G can. Mostly I am referring to Apps.

f) I value Battery life!

g) It's always nice to skip a generation in gadgets so the "cool" factor when you part with your dosh is worthwhile. (And the Battery tech will be generally improved)

The Iphone is the most customisable phone I have ever had - Mine is totally unique - looks and behaves unlike any other Iphone - due to the extensive applications and customisation tools available. I chose to add these applications - all free of charge - which means I only get the functionality I want/need.

Why people keep saying it doesnt support basic phone tasks is confusing the hell out of me - My Iphone does everything that any other mobile in the country does in terms of phone functionality - What is it that it cant do?

I dont work for apple, its the first apple product I have ever bought (apart from my 1st gen iPhone) and I'm not trying to force it down anyones throat but I think its the dogs.....my opinion only - but I'd strongly recommend to anyone who was looking at getting a new phone - if they needed more than just a phone.

Take yesterday for example - I had a meeting in London.

I was emailed the address which I picked up on my Iphone -

The person I was meeting had included their telephone number - this was automatically highlighted in the email by the Iphone - when I clicked it I was presented with the option to call, text or add to my contacts.

I clicked the address and it opened up in google maps to the correct location.

I then used the Iphone GPS/Route to get there.

On the way I had several calls on my Bluetooth handsfree.

One call requested I send a document I had to a colleague - I pulled over - connected to my corporate network using VPN , opened my exchange account and forwarded the Word document to him.

Whilst there, I used the wireless network and checked my exchange email account - again over VPN

I was able to take short movies / pictures of the equipment I was being shown - and email them straight to my boss for review.

I was also able to browse the internet and my corporate intranet in order that I could provide information and documents that were required that I had in the office.

I could also remotely connect to my office PC using VPN and VNC software.

When I was 3 miles away from home - my Iphone automatically texted my wife to let her know I was nearly home

All using a single device that fits in my top pocket.

Having looked at the SEX1 - It looks like a complete blatent copy of the Iphone - but with a pull out keyboard. I'm not sure what this is adding - and wouldnt personally use a pull out keyboard myself....the one on the apple screen is perfect for my needs....Not so sure it will be as customisable either...given the OS its running on.

Mark: if you think so highly of the Iphone, just wait 'til you try a Mac!!!! :)

It blows Windows machines out of the water just as the Iphone platform does to other mobiles.

The Iphone is simply a mobile Mac that can make phonecalls.

This selling Macs by stealth to those who have never bought an apple product is contributing to the huge year over year increase in Mac sales figures.

Buy an Iphone / discover apple also make computers / try a Mac / SOLD! Another Mac user for life. Genius.

Iphone to Mac is the only way... :)

Mark: if you think so highly of the iPhone, just wait 'til you try a Mac!!!! :)

It blows Windows machines out of the water just as the iPhone platform does to other mobiles.

The iPhone is simply a mobile Mac that can make phonecalls.

This selling Macs by stealth to those who have never bought an Apple product is contributing to the huge year over year increase in Mac sales figures.

Buy an iPhone / discover Apple also make computers / try a Mac / SOLD! Another Mac user for life. Genius.

iPhone to Mac is the only way... :)

As much as im an apple fan/Heavy user. Neither platforms are perfect.

The Iphone 3G is let down massively by O2s shoddy effort at 3g and just as bad poor EDGE coverage. Its just not up to scratch, no where near as good as Orange or any other networks coverage. The Iphone lacks good Bluetooth functionality. Again, a massive let down. For a phone to be classed as a smart that can't sent files via Bluetooth, mp3s etc to another phone is just lame, no excuse apple as I know you can do it! Its software is still a little buggy after 2.1 and still lacks voice guided gps and MS office app.

If you're after email retrieval, RIMs Blackberry is still the best solution - FACT.

As ive said, love Mac but im being honest. The Macs still lack large qty of games, games that come out as and when they do on the PC platform. There also alot fiddlier to upgrade hard drive etc to. Other than those points made, there great! :D

I have pictures of the X1 in a mag I get every week, looks impressive. Lets hope MS mobile can live up to the hype of the handset.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links