Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Wheel Vibrations

FLEXUS K

HI GUYS (AND GIRLS) FIRST TIME SO HOPE ITS RIGHT.

GOT A PROBLEM WITH MY IS200 SPORT(2000 X) WHICH HAS BEEN NO PROBLEM FOR 4YEARS UNTILL NOW.

WHEN DRIVING THERE IS VIBRATION COMING THROUGH THE STEERING WHEEL.

BELOW 50MPH IT IS OK AND ONLY NOTICEABLE BETWEEN SPEEDS 50-70MPH AND WHEN BRAKING BETWEEN THE SAME SPEED.

THE WIERD THING IS SOMETIMES IT DOES NOT DO IT AT ALL ,OR IT CAN HAPPEN AT SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT SPEEDS.

I HAVE HAD THE WHEELS BALANCED BY TWO PLACES AND BOTH SAID THERE OK.

I HAVE SWAPPED WHEELS WITH A MATES 04 MODEL AND HIS CAR RAN SMOOTH WITH MY WHEELS,WHILE MINE VIBRATED WITH HIS ON ESPECIALLY UNDER BRAKING BETEEN 50-60MPH.

THE CALIPERS DONT APPEAR TO BE STICKING AND I CANT SEE IT BEING THE DISK WHICH ARE ONLY A YEAR OLD PLUS IT VIBRATES WHILE JUST DRIVING ALONG BETWEEN 50-70MPH

COULB IT BE BALL JOINTS??ANYBODY ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND HAS A DEFFO ANSWER.

I JUST WANT TO GET BACK TO ENJOYING DRIVING MY SMOOTH CAR AGAIN.

HELP!!!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI GUYS (AND GIRLS) FIRST TIME SO HOPE ITS RIGHT.

GOT A PROBLEM WITH MY IS200 SPORT(2000 X) WHICH HAS BEEN NO PROBLEM FOR 4YEARS UNTILL NOW.

WHEN DRIVING THERE IS VIBRATION COMING THROUGH THE STEERING WHEEL.

BELOW 50MPH IT IS OK AND ONLY NOTICEABLE BETWEEN SPEEDS 50-70MPH AND WHEN BRAKING BETWEEN THE SAME SPEED.

THE WIERD THING IS SOMETIMES IT DOES NOT DO IT AT ALL ,OR IT CAN HAPPEN AT SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT SPEEDS.

I HAVE HAD THE WHEELS BALANCED BY TWO PLACES AND BOTH SAID THERE OK.

I HAVE SWAPPED WHEELS WITH A MATES 04 MODEL AND HIS CAR RAN SMOOTH WITH MY WHEELS,WHILE MINE VIBRATED WITH HIS ON ESPECIALLY UNDER BRAKING BETEEN 50-60MPH.

THE CALIPERS DONT APPEAR TO BE STICKING AND I CANT SEE IT BEING THE DISK WHICH ARE ONLY A YEAR OLD PLUS IT VIBRATES WHILE JUST DRIVING ALONG BETWEEN 50-70MPH

COULB IT BE BALL JOINTS??ANYBODY ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND HAS A DEFFO ANSWER.

I JUST WANT TO GET BACK TO ENJOYING DRIVING MY SMOOTH CAR AGAIN.

HELP!!!!

Hi,

And welcome... Ive not been messaging here long... but im really hoping someone replies as Ive developed the same problem... Had the discs and pads changed.. wheels balanced... brakes all flushed and calipers checked... and still vibration.... and its strange.. as sometimes it doesnt vibrate at all....I find it vibrate most under brkaing and again at certain speeds... Sorry I cant be helpful.. although Im certain I did read a post where im sure someone said they had vibration through the steering due to ball joints..

Hope someone can give a more definite answer...

Hi Flexus i too am in the exact same predicament with my IS and i had a thread about it see here - CLICK MEEEEEEE, fortunately for you I have just come from a friends who is able to test my discs (my discs + pads are only a year old too), turns out both of my fronts are warped (the n/side is worse) and I have a little squealing which seems to be one of my shims which has caused a scoreing in the disc hence the vibration + warp.

My advice is get your discs checked and replaced :) as I'm going to

THANKS FOR THE SPEEDIE REPLY BRICE1IE.HOW ANNOYING IS THIS PROBLEM.FOR YEARS I,VE BEEN BIGGING UP LEXUS,NOW I FEEL LIKE SELLING IT.HA.ITS DUE FOR MOT THIS MONTH GONNA PUT UP WITH IT TILL THEN AND SEE IF IT FAILS ON ANYTHING.I,LL LET YOU KNOW.CAN YOU LET US KNOW IF YOU GET THIS REPLY.CHEEERS.

ALRIGHT DAN NOT 100% ABOUT THE BREAKS AS IT VIBRATES WHILE DRIVING ALONG AT 50-70MPH.ITS DUE FOR MOT THIS MONTH SO I,LL GET THEM TO TEST THE BREAKS.I,LL LET YOU KNOW THE RESULTS.CAN YOU LET US KNOW HOW YOU GET ON MATE?HOW ANNOYING IS IT.

Agree with Dan....Get your discs checked first - costs nothing to get them checked....

Otherwise you are into the horrible realms of Lexus vibration - Youve at least eliminated the wheels as a source (buckled rims can cause) but as youve swapped with another then you can discount that.

Ball joints, Rotors, Stuck calipers, Geometry .....unfortunately the list goes on what it could be....I just thought it was the GS that suffered but appears theres a few IS out there too.....

I wouldn't say it's a common lexus fault more of a known thing on cars in general, as has been said there is stacks of things it could be including tracking rods, I do get the vibration whilst non breaking but it is very little and only really noticeable when I take my hands off the wheel and you can see the play on a smooth road.

Take my advice it's your discs mate could be the same as what's happend to mine, possible that a shim wasn't correctly placed and has scored the disc as this is what's happend to mine, do you get brake squeal?

Personally wouldnt wait for the MOT - You are putting unnecessary strain on various parts of your car.

Also - Know nothing about MOT's - anyone on here comment on whether a slightly warped disc would result in failed MOT or do they even check?

Notice you live in Manchester area - Anees / Gord / others may be able to suggest a decent place to get checked local....

ALRIGHT MATE DONT GET NO BRAKE SQEAL,NO CALIPERS ARE HOTTER THAN ANOTHER AND THE CAR DOES,NT PULL TO ANYSIDE.THE TWO FRONT DISK LOOK IN GOOD NICK EG NO SCORE MARKS OR LIPS.I KNOW IT COULD BE A NUMBER OF THINGS.MY MATE WHO WORKS AT HONDA AND HAS WORKED AT TOYOTA AS HAD BOTH FRONT WHEELS OFF AND NOTHING APPEARS WRONG.HE DID MENTION GETTING THE DISK SKIMMED AT HIS WORKS BUT HE,S NOT THAT CONFIDENT PLUS I,VE JUST READ A FEW POSTS WHERE PEOPLE HAVE TRIED NEW DISK AND THR PROBLEM IS STILL THERE.

Personally wouldnt wait for the MOT - You are putting unnecessary strain on various parts of your car.

Also - Know nothing about MOT's - anyone on here comment on whether a slightly warped disc would result in failed MOT or do they even check?

Notice you live in Manchester area - Anees / Gord / others may be able to suggest a decent place to get checked local....

as a mot tester your brakes do get checked on a rolling brake meter which will show a sticky caliper up as a brake imbalance or show a caliper giving little or no effort but a warp would have to be really bad to show up as the rollers only spin at 2mph.and they also get a visual check but you cant see a warp!you any corrosion on the inner faces of the disk?

THANKS FOR THE SPEEDIE REPLY BRICE1IE.HOW ANNOYING IS THIS PROBLEM.FOR YEARS I,VE BEEN BIGGING UP LEXUS,NOW I FEEL LIKE SELLING IT.HA.ITS DUE FOR MOT THIS MONTH GONNA PUT UP WITH IT TILL THEN AND SEE IF IT FAILS ON ANYTHING.I,LL LET YOU KNOW.CAN YOU LET US KNOW IF YOU GET THIS REPLY.CHEEERS.

Well ive changed ALL 4 discs... one caliper... pads... balancing... and STILL have the problem... so it aint my discs and for sure theres no caliper sticking... :crybaby:

Well ive changed ALL 4 discs... one caliper... pads... balancing... and STILL have the problem... so it aint my discs and for sure theres no caliper sticking... :crybaby:

check tracking rods

check tracking rods

Stupid question coming...

What am I checking for... or how do I check?? sorry ... not a car wizz... :unsure:

check tracking rods

What am I checking for... or how do I check?? sorry ... not a car wizz... :unsure:

jack the front of the car up grab the front wheel(hands at quarter to three) and shake it from side to side and see if their is any play.if the car has suffered from a sized caliper and the disk has got really really hot the hub could be warper(it 's a problem i see on some supras)i work for toyota.just a thought.

check tracking rods

jack the front of the car up grab the front wheel(hands at quarter to three) and shake it from side to side and see if their is any play.if the car has suffered from a sized caliper and the disk has got really really hot the hub could be warper(it 's a problem i see on some supras)i work for toyota.just a thought.

Thanks for that...

Well i have changed all 4 discs and pads,.. and still have the problem... and like Flexus... Im not gettin it all the time... only at certain speeds... heres hoping a dont have to go through too many expenses as a method of elimination...

check tracking rods

Thanks for that...

Well i have changed all 4 discs and pads,.. and still have the problem... and like Flexus... Im not gettin it all the time... only at certain speeds... heres hoping a dont have to go through too many expenses as a method of elimination...

take your car to a garage and ask them to check your front hub runout.(make sure they remove the disks for this)

your disks still get hot and if your hubs have had serious heat before its not goin to take a lot of heat before they warp as they are already heat distressed.this would cause some of the symptons some of the fellow owners are havin.

Sounds to me like one of your hub flange surface is slightly warped...it only has to be slightly warped and at speed it will vibrate like a rampant rabbit.through your steering or when you are braking... as well that`s what you wheels are mounted on.. :crybaby: ....if you get a new hub flange you will need the bearing kit aswell.....a new hub flange is about £100 including vat ( lexus only im affraid ) bearing kit get from allparts about £50..... ;)

alright guys just got in from a good night out in manchester,a bit worse for wear.quick reply before bed time.dont think its sticky calipers as they move freely.(had them checked plus they dont get hot).somebody has mentioned warped hubs(have you had this probem and did a new hub solve it?also this problem just came, no graduall build up and no excessive hard driving!like brice 1ie whos tried new parts and no difference wots happened?im thinking ball joint anybody solved this annoying problem with 1 or 2 new joints????is caps free better stav?

Sounds to me like one of your hub flange surface is slightly warped...it only has to be slightly warped and at speed it will vibrate like a rampant rabbit.through your steering or when you are braking... as well that`s what you wheels are mounted on.. :crybaby: ....if you get a new hub flange you will need the bearing kit aswell.....a new hub flange is about £100 including vat ( lexus only im affraid ) bearing kit get from allparts about £50..... ;)

Ok....ill check that out.... thanks guys.... Hope its that...

alright guys just got in from a good night out in manchester,a bit worse for wear.quick reply before bed time.dont think its sticky calipers as they move freely.(had them checked plus they dont get hot).somebody has mentioned warped hubs(have you had this probem and did a new hub solve it?also this problem just came, no graduall build up and no excessive hard driving!like brice 1ie whos tried new parts and no difference wots happened?im thinking ball joint anybody solved this annoying problem with 1 or 2 new joints????is caps free better stav?

i work for toyota and i've seen it a number of times on the supra and even on the old celica and to your question yes it did fix the vibration.dont know if this is poss but if it is it could save you a lot of money.ask a machine shop if they could skim the face of the hub.that way you wont need to split the hub from the hub carrier as you will hand it in in one piece.

alright ormi could an overtightened wheel cause a warped hub?also my problem can be intermitent if the hub was warped would the car vibrate all the time?

sorry dude a over tightened wheel would not cause this,it will prob depend on how hot the disks get as the disks really get hot even when your drivin about town slow,mine has just started doin this too not chuffed a other thing it could be is a tiny bit of rust between the disk and the hub also seen that too!!!!remove your disk check the hub and the inside of the disks.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links