Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Can You Do With Voice Activation On A New 400h?

Hi All

Hoping to order my 1st Lexus in a few days....I have a question re voice control on new 400h.....appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Lexus brochure states you can use Voice Activation for sat nav, audio, air conditioning and phone. Can anyone give me an idea of what you can control on sat nav and phone with voice...probably the most relevant. I think I read somewhere that lexus had withdrawn some of the previously offered functionality. There is a demo on the lexus US site, which shows voice activation being used for state, town an street spoken info.....

Bearing in mind the frustrating lock out of phone/sat nav screen entry when moving, what can you do with voice.

Considering ordering Cadoxton slate with a black leather interior....any comments or suggestions??

Thanks everyone for anything you can suggest!

J

On my 07 RX400h the voice commands let you access some features of the sat nav system, the audio system, the climate control and the telephone. I don't think you can enter specific destinations except 'home' and pre-programmed 'quick acess' destinations. One really useful sat-nav command is 'nearest petrol station' which will set your destination as the nearest known petrol station.

The other voice commands I use most are the ones that allow you to make calls - very useful. If you record a voice tag with stored numbers you can then call that number using a voice command.

I have a full list of the commands which I will happily email to you if you wish. It will give you an idea of what the sytem can and can't do.

thanks for the advice, would be grateful if you can send a voice command list, most appreciated.

Rgds

John

Hi, I would like a list of the voice commands too please.

I have a 2007 RX350, and the UK sales brochure from 2006 says that you can command the climate control. I could find no reference to these functions in the manual, and the sat nav functionality seems to be different from the demo on the US website. What climate commands can you give on the 2007 RX400h you refer to - would love to know?!

Thanks for the command list. I treid to control the Climate Control by voice on my 2007 RX350 - but to no avail. It just looks for POIs that it thinks sound the same. Its a mystery to me that in the 2006 RX sales brochure, it says it has voice command for the climate - but perhaps that is just a mistake. Nothing in the owners manual about it that I could find.

Thanks for the command list. I treid to control the Climate Control by voice on my 2007 RX350 - but to no avail. It just looks for POIs that it thinks sound the same. Its a mystery to me that in the 2006 RX sales brochure, it says it has voice command for the climate - but perhaps that is just a mistake. Nothing in the owners manual about it that I could find.

I have had a GS450h for two years since October 06, but I doubt they have changed the feature, or that it would differ with an RX.

The climate control voice functions are fairly limited. You can set the temp, e.g "climate control temprature 21 degrees" or switch the A/C on or off "automatic air conditioning on/off". I think there may also be a command to set temp to low or high.

In any case when the vehicle is stationary press the voice activation button and say "help" that will bring up on the screen a full list of functions grouped into categories such as NAV DESTINATION PHONE etc etc and then you can scroll down the screen to list all the functions.

I have had voice activation since 1999 on a Jaguar S-Type and subsequent Jaguar models, and compared with the functionality on those the Lexus system is fairly limited. For example the Jaguar would allow you to dail a phone number, attach name tags to preset radio stations, and select a particular disc or track from the CD changer.

One tip regarding the Lexus system, its quite sensative to picking up certain commands correctly seemingly a common issue amongst all makes of car with this feature, with the Lexus it has trouble with the command "map", I find its best to say the words in a soft voice.

Regards

Keith

Thanks for that. I have used the 'Help' feature before and did not see any commands for the climate control. I can only assume that (for whatever reason), the UK cars do not have these feature - just like USA versions have extra features on their navigation systems.

I think I will contact Lexus UK and ask them. Nothing like a definitive answer!

I have spoken to my supplying dealer, their service department, and also had an email reply from Lexus themselves - the RX does not have Voice Command of the climate control.

No one had told me why this is the case, when other Lexus models do have it.

Of course, if you can prove otherwise and there is something hidden in the depths of the engineering menu that can access this functionality, then do let us all know!

• 1 year later...

Hello Ifoggy

I just bought my RX400H SE-L 2008 and tried to set up the Telephone Voice Activation but no luck. I read your comments and wondering if you can send me the full list how to set up the Voice Command please. Many thanks in advance.

Regards Wing Chun.

• 5 years later...

B G Lister

It's a bit late for me to reply to your post now - but I can assure your that the voice command system of the Lexus 400h DOES allow you control the aircon - no matter wehat Lexus say. You can increase or decrease temperature by voice command.

The voice control is great fun, but also a source of massive entertainment. My 400h won't respond to me most of the time. However, as soon as the missus issues the same voice command, the car responds immediately and correctly. I am beginning to think my car is female! :lol:

I could never get the voice control to work effectively with my previous 400h. It became a source of frustration because either it would not recognize the commands, or because the simplest tasks required me to go through far too many menus. I just gave up in the end. It seems that the voice control in the 450h is much more responsive.

For some unknown reason, I am unable to past links in posts to this forum, but if you do a search on "voice control", or "voice commands", there is at least one post with a comprehensive list of commands. In particular, try the one titled:

"full List Of Voice Commands Available Anywhere?"

Here is a set of voice commands for version 6

NAVIGATION MODE
DESTINATION
Go Home
Address
Delete final destination
MAP OPERATION
Show map
Zoom in
Zoom out
GUIDANCE HELP
Repeat guidance
Arrow guidance
Turn list guidance
Turn by turn guidance
Resume guidance
Stop guidance
Freeway guidance
Intersection guidance
SCREEN PREFERENCES
Single map
Dual map
Compass mode
VOLUME
Louder
Softer
NAVIGATION MODE
POI
Nearest “______”
ATM
Airport
Amusement park
Bank
Barber shop
Car wash
Coffee house
Convenience store
Department store
Dry cleaning
Ferry terminal
Gas station
Golf course
Grocery store
Historical monuments
Home and garden
Library
Parks
Pharmacy
Post Office
Restaurant
Rest area or rest shop
Specialty food store
Sports complex
Theater
Tourist information
Video rental
Zoo
Hide Icons
TELEPHONE MODE
CALLING
Dial by number
Dial by name
Dial
Cancel
AUDIO MODE
MODE
Radio
AM
FM – FM1 or FM2
SAT
CD changer
FUNCTIONS
Audio on
Audio off
Next track
Previous track
Seek up
Seek down
Next disc
Previous disc
CLIMATE CONTROL MODE
TEMPERATURE
Automatic air conditioning
Automatic air conditioning on
Automatic air conditioning off
Raise temperature
Lower temperature
Warmer
Cooler
“____” degrees (65-85)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links