Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 250 Seems To Pull/tramline

My IS 250 seems to have really poor stability at anything above 50-60mph.

The car seems to pull in no particular direction.

The sensation feels like you are driving on a really windy day.

It seems that you have to hold the steering really tight above 50 mph because as you brake it feels like it wants to really follow groves in the road.

Had it back to Lexus who have re done the geometry settings but to be honest there feels no change.

No Chance of driving confidenly above 80mph as it feels to sway to much.

Does anyone have the same experience and whats the resolution!!

Had it back to Lexus who have re done the geometry settings but to be honest there feels no change.

No Chance of driving confidenly above 80mph as it feels to sway to much.

Does anyone have the same experience and whats the resolution!!

Take it to Tony at WIM! I had the same problem, and avoided the left hand lane of the motorways like the plague as it tended to follow every lump & bump that the hgv's had laid down.

Tony sorted it, and the car was mmediately totally different. Now I have even wider wheels/tyres and the car is still very stable, no tramlining at all.

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/

As above, what cars are you used to driving?

Also what tyres do you have fitted, and what size/profile are they?

My IS200 came with a nasty brand of budget tyres called Semperit and it was all over the place at speed. I changed them for Vredestein Ultrac tyres, and the car is really solid now. I don't get any problems even in the wet.

My IS200 came with a nasty brand of budget tyres called Semperit and it was all over the place at speed. I changed them for Vredestein Ultrac tyres, and the car is really solid now. I don't get any problems even in the wet.

I have bridgestone tyres all around all with excellet tred life.

I have driven both RWD and FWD.

A friend has a IS 220d with same size tyres but it seems much more confident on the road/motorway.

It is really frustrating especially as I have had the gemotry checked by lexus. I dont mind trying WIM and will give them a call. I just feel what is that they may be able to do that Lexus could not. :duh:

A friend has a IS 220d with same size tyres but it seems much more confident on the road/motorway.

It is really frustrating especially as I have had the gemotry checked by lexus. I dont mind trying WIM and will give them a call. I just feel what is that they may be able to do that Lexus could not. :duh:

We look outside of the box..... Point to remember is the positions Lexus offer for the cars are only "suggestions" not absolute law.

The dealer with the best intentions cannot deviate from the rule book whereas we can.

Well they're good tyres, so I would say you do need to take your car to WIM and get it checked over :)

Uncanny. I have had exactly the same experience on both an IS220d and an IS250. I have even used the same description of feeling like I'm driving on a windy day. Also I have exactly the same issues with the grooves in the roads. To speculate, I think the problem is the electric power steering is set to be too sensitive, it needs some more weight to it and a touch less immediate response. I noticed the other day that the steering wheel rotated left then right about two inches on it's own as I gently moved into the inside lane on the motorway, it felt like the road surface had fed back through the steering and activated the electric power steering motor, which had then amplified the movement of the wheels into the grooves on the road.

My IS was totally stable in left hand lanes grooves, but like all IS's, the steering at the dead straight position needs a slight constant correction to keep the car straight.

I reckon that if the toe settings are slightly out you might get this, though I'm no expert? My mate has a carerra 4, which also sufferes from this, but the rears stick out so much more than the fronts that the car is never completely in any groove....

I'd say take it to WIM - they is the expoits!!