Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Faults Showing On Vsc, Brakes, Alarm Sounding

Forster

I have a fault that comes and goes, VSC off, VSC and brake warning light come on with an alarm. Nothing can be found as a fault, garage referred to an electrician and it would not repeat the fault, until later. Any clues anyone?

Those signs usually point to Brake Master Cylinder failure (assuming you mean by alarm you get an alarm sound).....I hope for your sake this isnt the case as these are not cheap

Edit:

Of course - It could just be the VSC etc kicking in because its required

Edited by Mark W

Those signs usually point to Brake Master Cylinder failure (assuming you mean by alarm you get an alarm sound).....I hope for your sake this isnt the case as these are not cheap

Edit:

Of course - It could just be the VSC etc kicking in because its required

It was standing for 2 weeks whilst I was on holiday, and I had originally thought is was a faulty sensor, but no apparently not.

It does sound like the Master Cylinder

99 would put it as having the earlier brake master cylinder as it is a pretty early car.

Does anyone know what year they changed? Mine is a 2001 model, but has the later light cluster on the back so I don't know where that would put it in terms of brakes. I get paranoid every time I think about it, knowing the cost of those cylinders...

• 1 month later...

If its annoying screeching type noise that stays on, its probably the brake master cylinder. At least it was in my case. It was a very painful experience.

Similar to you, I had gone on holiday for 2 weeks, it was left standing. Came back and a day or so later that noise started.

Lexus quoted 2 grand to fix! - yikes!

Ended up getting a 2nd hand one from a parts company and got lexus to fit it.

HI

My brakes are a bit spongy so hoping it is not the master cylinder because they are over £2000 to buy and that does not include fitting,I have sourced a place that is selling them for £1600.00 how can Lexus warrant charging that for a master cylinder.

My car is a 1999 GS300 Sport with 87197 miles on so it would not be worth spending that sort of money on in other words in an otherwise perfect car it turns into a scrapper.

Due to the present climate regards large cars especially the GS300 which is a bit of a gas guzzler (WORTHLESS) I have only had the car a month.

Norman :angry: