Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I was wondering just how far the RX400H could be taken off road, I realise that it's not an off roader as such, but given its size etc I was wondering just how far it had been pushed. I have done some seaching on the tinternet but so far haven't come up with stories relating to this topic. So a challange to you all, how far have you pushed yours? it would be interesting to see how far it could go. (Sainsbury's or Tesco's car park is not really far enough).

Took my RX 300 to Centre Parcs, it had to drive over a tree stump. Also took it across a field to a Maize maze, had to raise the suspension and everything! :P

On road tyres, these types of car are still going to be pretty useless. On proper off-road rubber I'd think they'd behave a little better, although isn't the RX400h front wheel drive most of the time and power to the rear wheels only comes from the electric motors? In which case I can't see it being very good at all..........

See the single biggest 'problem' with taking any RX 'off-road' is the fact it lacks a locking diff. - which is a minimum must have to do any type of decent off roading.

Having said that, the RX does have sufficient ground clearance and good taper angles to allow it to venture off road, but where it will come short is where any situation would require a locking diff. to be in place. A low ratio 'box would be useful but not a necessity - as would a diesel engine ;)

The issue on tyres is a valid one, but only to a point. Yes chunky 'proper' off road tyres help with grip but does anyone recall the TG episode where Clarkson went up against a Challenger II Tank in a RR Sport (Petrol Supercharged) - if you notice this vehicle went pretty much cross country on a set of Conti' UHP tyres (designated road going only) but the vehicle fared very well. So tyres will help, but the real gimme is the locking diff IMHO.

With specific regards to the 400h - this is a FWD only vehicle and with Battery power to the rear only it wont have enough muscle to cope with much - unlike the petrol only RX which is genuine AWD.

• 3 weeks later...

Going on site visit Monday where I have been warned "suitable for 4 wheel drive vehicles only". Be interesting to see how my RX gets on. Will let you know next week!

I was wondering just how far the RX400H could be taken off road, I realise that it's not an off roader as such, but given its size etc I was wondering just how far it had been pushed. I have done some seaching on the tinternet but so far haven't come up with stories relating to this topic. So a challange to you all, how far have you pushed yours? it would be interesting to see how far it could go. (Sainsbury's or Tesco's car park is not really far enough).

this is what i am doing from time to time. but i would NOT conside this as offroad driving!

163638603_4bdfcf0ed7.jpg

163638601_62a1206a27.jpg

163638599_8f8f58d60e.jpg

163638598_9c86bcf6a0.jpg

but this is real offroad driving!

2987253884_d939e06fe4.jpg

this is what i am doing from time to time. but i would NOT conside this as offroad driving!

163638603_4bdfcf0ed7.jpg

163638601_62a1206a27.jpg

163638599_8f8f58d60e.jpg

163638598_9c86bcf6a0.jpg

163638603_4bdfcf0ed7.jpg

163638601_62a1206a27.jpg

163638599_8f8f58d60e.jpg

163638598_9c86bcf6a0.jpg

Thanks for the pictures and reply, looks a bit more rugged than where I go ;-)

I was flicking through this month's copy of Top Gear Magazine in the Tesco "reading room" when I came across a comparison article about off road driving.

The article compared 3 "soft roaders" in the first part of the test which, although it didn't say exactly what the conditions were, seemed to imply that it was a rough and muddy track with some failry steep entry and exit slopes.

The RX400h came out quite favourably with no real adverse comments and made its way through with no drama. (They did mention that the handbook says the car is not designed for off road driving, though.) The BMW X6 was critisized for being too harsh on the throttle causing it to lose grip. The Audi Q7 was critisized for being too cumbersome and for crashing its front and rear on the ground when the entry and exit angles were too steep for it.

However for real off roading you do need something designed for the job!

JBP

The shape of the RX (IMHO and I am no Techie) seems to lend itself very well off roading - kind of like the VW Touareg. With some proper off road ability the RX might actually be pretty good. But as it stands, the petrol engine especially should do adeqautely...the 400h well, its all show and no real go.

Not taken mine anywhere testing yet as the tyres would be useless. I think the abs / traction control would compensate for the lack of centre locking diff as per freelander. My Range Rover had the fluid coupling limited slip centre diff which seized up as they are prone to do which then produced interesting on road driving. The lack of low box would be more of a problem but again no different to Freelander.

Sorry - just re-read first post. I am referring to RX300/350 not 400.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links