Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

!help! Is200 Wont Start !

Hello there,

wounder if any one can shed some light on this...

was driving home for just now and my is200 just switched off and it will not start back up. i have no idea what the probblem will be

ive check the following and all is fine.

plenty water

plenty oil

never have starting issues

all the belts are there

never had over heating and the car did not over heat.

no engine management light has come on

the engine ticks but will not start up.... :crybaby:

***i am soooo p!d off, out of all the cars ive ever owned ive never broken down, and a jap being the most reliable cars it just dies end up coming home on a truck.****ahhhhhh :angry: ***

ok im calm now

please help.....

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has it got fuel in it, you but you may have a faulty gauge and think it has when it hasn't, if it's got plenty of petrol in then may be fuel pump.

you've got me thinking, cus once i put fuel in and the needle didnt move from the reserve mark for ages and the light didnt turn off.

Yeh mate, basically start from scratch, is it getting fuel, take off the pipes and turn it over if it comes flyin out then on to the next, is it getting planty air it might be possible that it got blocked, uncommon but it could still happen i guess. Is it getting a spark? take out a spark plug at a time and turn over once, you should see a spark. I assume your Battery have enough voltage and thats not the issue or else it wouldn't turn over.

When was the last time the filters were changed, and do you offen run it rite down almost beyond reserve as this could result in the crap at the bottom of the tank being sucked up into the lines and clogging it up.

Other than that if its not showing any warning lights then it might be time to call in a garage to take a look.

Yeh mate, basically start from scratch, is it getting fuel, take off the pipes and turn it over if it comes flyin out then on to the next, is it getting planty air it might be possible that it got blocked, uncommon but it could still happen i guess. Is it getting a spark? take out a spark plug at a time and turn over once, you should see a spark. I assume your battery have enough voltage and thats not the issue or else it wouldn't turn over.

When was the last time the filters were changed, and do you offen run it rite down almost beyond reserve as this could result in the crap at the bottom of the tank being sucked up into the lines and clogging it up.

Other than that if its not showing any warning lights then it might be time to call in a garage to take a look.

Crap in the bottom of the tank, is going to be, at the bottom of the tank, if you have full tank tooo :winky:

Think about it............would it not be at the bottom of the tank, say you leave it overnight on the drive :question:

true but im only going on experience, my old jeep had a dodgy fuel guage and i thout it was half full but it was so dry all the gunk that had collected up over the years got sucked through. Choaked all the fuel lines rite up to the fuel line. Happened in the middle of a snow storm up in the mountains where there was no reception, i wasn't happy so after that i tend to use that as a scape-goat till proven otherwise lol.

my worst night mare !! :megaangry:

ive jst spent the last hour or so pulling it to bits, found the cambelt snapped.

now the question is, what sort of damge am i ment to look for now if i strip the engine, ive neve a cambelt before im going to give it a go myself.

the engine was idleing i was stood at traffic lights when it snaped ? so the engine was running slow what extend do you thing the damage will be ?? ive tryed starting it a couple of time aswel, take it thats bad news.

Hi,

Not good news generally bent or broken valves,damaged valve guides, possibly top piston damage,possibly cheaper to find another engine.

What was the mileage and was the cambelt due a change?

that sort of damage even if the engine was running at 1000rpm ?

the belt was changed at 72k-ish by previous owner. and not its just hit 97k

am upset

:tsktsk: matey, the damage will have been limited if you didn't keep trying to get it going but your looking a valves 24 of them on the lex how many are damaged tho will take investigating, there is a section on here how to change the cambelt yourself but thats before it goes it will help but only to a certain point.

Hi,

Not good news generally bent or broken valves,damaged valve guides, possibly top piston damage,possibly cheaper to find another engine.

am upset

it shouldnt have snapped if it was done at 72 k..

could possibly indicate something else?? was there anything that it was catching on? where was the belt change done? was it a reputable garage??

Im not sure on the lexus what type of valves it has but some engines dont get damaged when the belt snaps.. my old civic being one of these.. more damage is cause when you try and turn it over it was the other type...

reduce the risk and get a decent garage to look at it and do some digging on the previous belt strange.. sounds a bit fishy to me..

I agree^^ very strange to snap after only 20k or so, was it defo replaced @ 72k was it done properly and was it defo the right belt? I would check everything that could go wrong when the belt snaps and find out exactly what does and doesn't need doing, no such thing as an easy fix unfortunately but better to get everything done at once than run into further problems a few miles down the line. Gutted for you mate keep us informed.

You could always get a Supra engine for it tho.

Hi,

am upset

it shouldnt have snapped if it was done at 72 k..

could possibly indicate something else?? was there anything that it was catching on? where was the belt change done? was it a reputable garage??

Im not sure on the lexus what type of valves it has but some engines dont get damaged when the belt snaps.. my old civic being one of these.. more damage is cause when you try and turn it over it was the other type...

reduce the risk and get a decent garage to look at it and do some digging on the previous belt strange.. sounds a bit fishy to me..

Going off what your saying. i do agree, i should have it checked out when i bought the car. because the belts never did sound as though they are running smooth...the sound was like,erm sounded like one of the pullies need oiling or somthing. u know like metal on metal but its not got enough grease. it sounded like that.

WOW, theres alot of **** being spouted in this topic.

it will do no harm, on getting the timing set back to the correct marks , and putting a new belt on.

this will cause no more damage than "could have been caused" so far.

otherwise you take the risk of stripping the head off to look at a perfect head............. :rolleyes: trust me, it has no damage!

when i ran my garage/workshop in Germany, if a customer brought a car in for a snapped belt, the first task, was to check with a belt on.

on most of the engines there was no damage and the cost was only the change of the belt and pulleys.

the is200 engine is non-interference so you should have no Valve / piston strike what so ever