Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My PCP is up in February and as much as I'd love to stay with Lexus - I've had to move on.

I'm really disappointed that the 2009 facelift has left the engine emissions untouched - if I stick with another 250 Sport I'll get lumbered with 400 quid a year road tax and mpg of under 30mpg.

I've decided to order an Audi A5 2.0 TFSi Sport - 135 quid a year road tax and 45 plus mpg with much better performance to boot.

Sorry Lexus - but it was a no brainer - if anyone thinks I've done the wrong thing I'd love to hear their thoughts

The A5 is a stunning motor, good looks and like you say it goes well too so very nice :D Which colour have you gone for and is it the Quattro model?? :) There's a nice S5 in white round here looks fantastic B)

AUDI A5 COUPE 2.0T FSI Sport 2dr

Summary Technical Data :Summary

Body Style Coupe

Engine Size 1984 cc

Fuel Type Petrol

Number of Doors 2

Number of Seats 4

Gearbox Type MANUAL

co2 Emissions 154 g/km

Insurance Group 15

Vehicle Tax Band D

Standard Manufacturers Warranty (miles) 60000 miles

Standard Manufacturers Warranty (years) 3 years

Manufacturers Corrosion Guarantee 12 years

Manufacturers Paintwork Guarantee 3 years

Performance and Economy Technical Data :Performance & Economy

Fuel Consumption (Urban) 31.4 mpg

Fuel Consumption (ExtraUrban) 54.3 mpg

Fuel Consumption (Combined) 42.8 mpg

0-62mph 6.9 seconds

Top Speed 155 mph

Cylinders 4

Number of Valves 16 V

Engine Power 211 bhp

Engine Torque 258 lbs/ft

A good overall package :D

Yeah those stats are pretty phenomenal. The A5 strikes me as quite a big car, to get performance like that out of a 2.0T in such a big car, AND with such low emissions and good MPG is quite something.

Doesn't it seem strange to have a car that is in insurance group 15 and yet is so low on CO2 and does 45mpg. That's an insurance group for high performance cars, yet the other figures sound like they're off a Nissan Micra.

But will you miss RWD I wonder.

The A5 is a stunning motor, good looks and like you say it goes well too so very nice :D Which colour have you gone for and is it the Quattro model?? :) There's a nice S5 in white round here looks fantastic B)

Body Style Coupe

Engine Size 1984 cc

Fuel Type Petrol

Number of Doors 2

Number of Seats 4

Gearbox Type MANUAL

co2 Emissions 154 g/km

Insurance Group 15

Vehicle Tax Band D

Fuel Consumption (Urban) 31.4 mpg

Fuel Consumption (ExtraUrban) 54.3 mpg

Fuel Consumption (Combined) 42.8 mpg

0-62mph 6.9 seconds

Top Speed 155 mph

Cylinders 4

Number of Valves 16 V

Engine Power 211 bhp

Engine Torque 258 lbs/ft

Couldn't afford the Quattro and I have gone for solid Red with upgraded 19in. 5 spoke alloys and the all important Xenon pack which includes the daytime running lights (they are only standard on the V6 models).

I've been with Lex for 10 years and never had a complaint - Lexus Newcastle done their best to keep me within the marque but couldn't really offer me anything close to the A5 (they offered me an RX400 SR but the payments were well over the top). I will miss the standard spec of my IS - even cruise control is an optional extra on the Audi

Yeah those stats are pretty phenomenal. The A5 strikes me as quite a big car, to get performance like that out of a 2.0T in such a big car, AND with such low emissions and good MPG is quite something.

Doesn't it seem strange to have a car that is in insurance group 15 and yet is so low on CO2 and does 45mpg. That's an insurance group for high performance cars, yet the other figures sound like they're off a Nissan Micra.

But will you miss RWD I wonder.

Could do - but not in the winter!

Nice choice, I love the A5, I just wish they'd make a proper RWD as a FWD sports car just doesn't feel right.......

Other than that, those stats are incredible, almost unbelievable as they sound like the numbers for a diesel! Surely if a petrol engine can be that efficient, the days of diesels are numbered (with their rising fuel prices.......)

Body Style Coupe

Engine Size 1984 cc 2993cc

Fuel Type Petrol

Number of Doors 2

Number of Seats 4

Gearbox Type MANUAL

co2 Emissions 154 g/km 153 g/km

Insurance Group 15

Vehicle Tax Band D

Fuel Consumption (Urban) 31.4 mpg 37.2 mpg

Fuel Consumption (ExtraUrban) 54.3 mpg 61.4 mpg

Fuel Consumption (Combined) 42.8 mpg 49.6 mpg

0-62mph 6.9 seconds 7.3 seconds

Top Speed 155 mph 148 mph

Cylinders 4

Number of Valves 16 V

Engine Power 211 bhp 197 bhp

Engine Torque 258 lbs/ft 400Nm which is roughly 295 lbs/ft I think

Just had a look on the BMW website as their diesel engines really are the benchmark............and the numbers above in red are the figures from a 325d MSport coupe, I'll let the numbers speak for themselves..........obviously you don't know for sure till you drive them but on pure stats the diesel makes no sense, especially costing 10p/litre more............

is your pcp up or are you at the point that you have paid enough to enable you to return the car? plus has anyone handed back a car on a pcp and not gone for another from the same dealer? do they try and claim for any damage such as scuffed alloys or stone chips? or is this normal wear and tear

is your pcp up or are you at the point that you have paid enough to enable you to return the car? plus has anyone handed back a car on a pcp and not gone for another from the same dealer? do they try and claim for any damage such as scuffed alloys or stone chips? or is this normal wear and tear
My PCP is up end of February but I have asked Lexus Financial Services if I can hand the car back now and they have said that it won't be a problem and just to let them know - no penalties are involved as long as the car is in good condition with fair wear and tear.

Pointless me handing it back now though because there is a 4 month waiting list on A5s.

Stone chips and scuffed alloys are fair wear and tear

mines up in nov 09 but because of the deposit and payments i have paid i have paid half of the agreement so can hand it back now, i was just a bit worried at the stone chip splattered bonnet as on a black car it looks a mess plus a few scuffs on the alloys.

Lovely motor!!

Wife has just got a 2.0Tfsi TT in Ibis white, 19" RS4's, sat nav, black leather and with the same engine it is averaging 31mpg, town with a bit of A road so 42mpg is highly! unlikely. I had a new GTi last year and on runs got around 36mpg with the same motor.

Problem is the engine is so good you have to stop yourself squeezing the accelerator pedal...its difficult which you will find when you get the A5

As a general comment I do think that Lexus is going to really suffer in next 5 years if they don't sort out decent diesels for their mainstream models. Hybrids are good for tax but real world fuel economy is not as good as BMW,AUDI and MERC diesels.

I'm lucky in that I owe no money on my RX so my only expensese are fuel, insurance, tyres and servicing and this is still 4K+ a year (never mind depreciation). When it comes time to swap I will have to think long and hard about continuing with Lexus unless I go for a 5 year old car...

Just think - an RX with a BMW 3 litre diesel - magic!

• 2 weeks later...
Great car- lovely looking, fast and economical. We have a 4.2 A8 which has served us very well as our family car.

Only problem- You wait til you have to have some work done at a dealer! :shutit: :tsktsk:

Couldn't agree more - it was one of the main reasons I didn't bother with an Audi again...total attitude problem behind the counter, other than Nottingham Audi - who seemed absolutely fantastic. Even have a concierge!!!!!

I don't think Lexus, having spent so much on 'Hybrid' are going to delve into a DERV burner. IMHO Lexus have placed their eggs into the hybrid basket and consequently will push ahead on this level. The Germans are all about DERV - so its about product association and branding. I can't see Lexus jumping on the DERV bandwagon as it might be seen as a tacit admission that Hybrid has 'failed'?

For Lexus it is just about Hybrid and Hybrid alone. The distinction the Japanese have against the Germans is technology. Germans believe in DERV and are pressing ahead (interesting that they haven't licensed Hybrid from Toyota?) - instead they are going twin turbo and efficiency dynamics with DERV.

Just MHO folks no intention to offend or hi-jack thread.

ihpj - actually I heard somewhere that BMW are also planning Hybrid Diesels starting with the X6. From what I have seen (and driven), BMW ED works a bit like hybrids in that the engine stops etc, and the car "starts" it again when you dip the clutch using a giant alternator which turns the engine etc...as opposed to the electric motor starting the engine in a Toyota hybrid. Energy regeneration when braking or coasting etc is again similar to Toyota hybrids..It's all actually very similar under the skin, but with BMW there is no electric motor to run the car on at slow speeds or help the engine when driving...

I reckon the newer BMW fly by wire auto's are all aligned to make stop start technology available on Auto's soon too...

Pug too are making diesel electric hybrids, so it's not just Lexus. Lexus on the other hand are all about smoothness and refinement - so they won't be making diesel hybrids...

Ultimately, totally electric, vege oil or Hydrogen fuel cells must be the future....

Back on topic- I've just sen how much A5's are going for now, slightly used ones for £25k!!

Thanks to you all for the comments - I will miss my IS250 Sport - things like the auto lights and seat adjustment when walking to the car and many other gadgets that the Audi just won't have.

It is purely a decision based on economics so far as I am concerned - if there had been a re-tuned, more economical version of the IS250 coming out in March (when my present deal ends) then I could have been tempted to stay.

Today I found out that the A5 S Line is coming to the UK (I was originally told that it wasn't) so I've changed my order to an S Line with upgraded 19in. wheels and cruise control - it comes in at 27,500 - £200 more than the Sport which I'd originally ordered. Can't wait for March now :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links