Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys!

Ive had my LS430 for 6 weeks now! Sheer luxury! Even better now that unleaded is £1 per litre!!!!

Not been driving it much as its my "weekend" car as I dont do that many miles (about 5000 per year as I work from home) and also Ive got a little run a round punto that I use to drop the kids off to school - cheap as chips to run! (By the way - why do you need a Q7 to drop off your 1 kid to school who lives 1 mile down the road - and blocks the whole of the narrow school lane - p***ing annoying that!)

Anyway, Im a very careful driver. I bought the ls430 for the experience rather than its speed capabilities! Yesterday I was at a roundabout on an A road alongside a Subaru Turbo...... Something funny came all over me! I wanted to beat this Subaru! Dont know why but I had to do it! I go round the roundabout quite quickly. As soon as I enter the A road with the Subaru alongside me, I put my foot down...... S**t in hell!!! I froze & had a mini heart attack! Ive never experienced anything like that before!! Subaru man was no way to be seen behind me! One doesnt realise what a immensely powerful car it is, even when most of the time it just glides on the roads!!

Try flooring a LS430 into a roundabout and record your facial expression.

Hi

It’s quite entertaining actually, if you floor it, a light comes on on the dash and a beeper goes off, to let you know you are an idiot, if you are understeering then the line will tighten and you will regain grip before you can say "oh s**t" If the tail has come out it will gently come back in and you will tear off like a mad thing when the grip returns..... If you have chickened out before the car and are braking then it’s just as undramatic.

When the EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distribution) and the TRC (Traction Control System) and the VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) do their stuff it is amasing how hard it is to crash....

Most of the time there is too much power for a full bore take off and the TRC cuts in and you pull of sedately, if however you are on a very grippy surface, shell grip etc, then the acceleration is very impressive for such a big lump of car..... Best time I've had so far is 6.09 sec to 60mph (hot day, two up, on LPG)

I find you can beat most people, even in faster cars, because they all have the impression of Lexus drivers being granddads and you get a jump on them.....

Pete

I tried to accelerate out of a wet roundabout, luckily the alarms went off and the traction control stopped the back end from fishtailing.

the trick is to switch into sport mode and PWR mode then really "kickdown" and hold on.

From the traffic lights always puts a smile on my face, they look at your big car with four people in it , and their in there little "big bore" sports car, floor it and watch them disappear in your rear view mirror.

another car I like to embarrass is the range rover sport, they look mean but there top speed is 140, and their 0-60 is 7.2 so you can beat it with out trying

The joy's of a 4.3 V8

Speed ,comfort ,safety,reliability, etc etc

I think it is, the specs match up, and the GS is faster.

GS430

Weight 1745 kg

Fuel Delivery Injection

Transmission Automatic

Gears 5 Speed

Performance

Engine Size 4293 cc

Cylinders 8

0-60 mph 6.1 s

Power Output 279 bhp

Valves 32

Torque 417 Nm 308 lb-ft

Top Speed 155 mph

Costs

MPG 23

Insurance Group 17

Euro Emissions Standard IV

CO2 Emissions 296 g/km

Road Tax Band F

Practicality

Wheelbase 2800 mm

Luggage Capacity 515 L

Fuel Capacity 75 L

Unbraked Towing Weight 750 kg

Braked Towing Weight 2000 kg

LS430

Length 5005 mm

Width 1830 mm

Height 1470 mm

Weight 1830 kg

Fuel Delivery Injection

Transmission Automatic

Gears 5 Speed

Performance

Engine Size 4293 cc

Cylinders 8

0-60 mph 6.5 s

Power Output 278 bhp

Valves 32

Torque 417 Nm 308 lb-ft

Top Speed 155 mph

Costs

MPG 23

Insurance Group 17

Euro Emissions Standard IV

CO2 Emissions 289 g/km

Road Tax Band F

Wheelbase 2925 mm

Fuel Capacity 84 L

Actually, I take that back. Try flooring a Series 1 LS400 when turning right into a roundabout, and record your facial expression as you realise there are NO driver aids to help you as 241bhp gets driven through the 205 width tyres.

Actually, I take that back. Try flooring a Series 1 LS400 when turning right into a roundabout, and record your facial expression as you realise there are NO driver aids to help you as 241bhp gets driven through the 205 width tyres.

Yeah, but why would do that in the first place? Its not like the LS is built to handle like an Evo or Scooby? :o

Got beaten off the lights by a lady in a Jag, not sure what model. Looked like an S-type. Felt sick. First time to be beaten.

I've even beaten unsuspecting motor-cycles.

I raced the Jag right up to 80MPH before I slowed down as I ran out of lane. She had her nose ahead the whole time but never got quite passed me till I lifted off. PUKE.

Yeah, but why would do that in the first place? Its not like the LS is built to handle like an Evo or Scooby? :o

Guessing for the same reason these guys do things like this :whistling:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

I would very much doubt that the scooby was attempting to beat you. Even a crap driver in a scooby turbo should leave your 430 way behind.

Sub 5 secs 0-62 on the scooby compared to over 6 secs in a 430.

Admittedly these 4.3 engines are fast, even pulling away gently seems to leave most cars behind, but realistically it ain't gonna beat the scooby/mitzi type of car.

You have to be committed, flat out from the start, if you wait to see if they are going to floor it that can make a big difference....

they wont handle better than the new breed of sports cars like the Evos and scoobys, but in a straight line you can make them sweat a bit, especially on the motorway the torque of the LS will keep up with most of the fast cars out there, and it will keep pulling up to the limited top speed. :whistling:

these have the same 0-60, and a lower unlimited top end, the ls would be a close if not faster car, especially at motorway speeds?

Series McRae Turbo 4WD 4d 6.1 s 144 mph 214 bhp

2.0 Turbo Catalunya 4WD 4d 6.1 s 144 mph 214 bhp

Turbo 2000 Terzo 4WD 4d 6.1 s 144 mph 214 bhp

RB5 Prodrive Turbo 4WD 4d 6.1 s 144 mph 214 bhp

RB5 Turbo 4WD 4d 6.1 s 144 mph 214 bhp

Turbo 2000 4WD 4d 6.1 s 144 mph 214 bhp

Turbo 2000 4WD 4d (SR) 6.1 s 144 mph 214 bhp

You have to be committed, flat out from the start, if you wait to see if they are going to floor it that can make a big difference....

they wont handle better than the new breed of sports cars like the Evos and scoobys, but in a straight line you can make them sweat a bit, especially on the motorway the torque of the LS will keep up with most of the fast cars out there, and it will keep pulling up to the limited top speed. :whistling:

Agreed. On the rare times when I want to leave a car at the lights etc., I find my GS430 is up to the job. However the fact remains that if a scooby turbo driver is equally committed then the Lexus is going to come 2nd. Around 4.8 secs,160 top end, against 6.3 secs 155 top end speaks for itself, assuming that both drivers know how to get the best out of their car.

Imprezza STI 2.5

The thing is the Subaru driver has to be really good, get every gear change spot on and change at exactly the right revs etc to get his 5 second 0-60 time. In the LS you only have to hold your right foot down. I read years ago that very , very few owners would achieve the times of a road tester, simply because he wouldn't risk wrecking his own car.

0n most roads(with bends), I would certainly not expect the LS to beat the Subaru.

It is fun against all these kids with Saxos, Fiestas etc with big exhausts at the lights, though being a grey haired, middle aged(old) fat bloke, I really should know better.

The thing is the Subaru driver has to be really good, get every gear change spot on and change at exactly the right revs etc to get his 5 second 0-60 time. In the LS you only have to hold your right foot down. I read years ago that very , very few owners would achieve the times of a road tester, simply because he wouldn't risk wrecking his own car.

0n most roads(with bends), I would certainly not expect the LS to beat the Subaru.

I would agree with your comments. I'd rather have the comfort at my age. I wanted the LS430 but wife thinks they are too "barge like"....her words not mine.....so settled for the comfort and power of the GS430.

and it will keep pulling up to the limited top speed. :whistling:

Hi

I never hit the limiter when I tried mine, it got to an indicated 172mph and ran out of puff.... The speedo is about 6% under reading according to a sat nav so that puts the true speed at 161mph. Maybe mine doesn't work.... Did it cut dead when you got there or was it more like a rev limiter??

It was on an unlimited road in Germany and took less time than I thought to get there, then what happens, I get overtaken by a new S class with no badges but with very fat exhausts.... I gave up then and set the cruise for about 100mph....

In the LS you only have to hold your right foot down. I read years ago that very , very few owners would achieve the times of a road tester, simply because he wouldn't risk wrecking his own car.

though being a grey haired, middle aged(old) fat bloke, I really should know better.

Hi

Totally agree with the first bit above, you can always get a quick take off as opposed to trying to balance a fierce clutch with all that power, if you can get the jump on them and they bog down just a bit then you usually win....

Regarding the second comment that must be the market sector Lexus aimed at and are you my brother??

Hi guys!

Ive had my LS430 for 6 weeks now! Sheer luxury! Even better now that unleaded is £1 per litre!!!!

Not been driving it much as its my "weekend" car as I dont do that many miles (about 5000 per year as I work from home) and also Ive got a little run a round punto that I use to drop the kids off to school - cheap as chips to run! (By the way - why do you need a Q7 to drop off your 1 kid to school who lives 1 mile down the road - and blocks the whole of the narrow school lane - p***ing annoying that!)

Anyway, Im a very careful driver. I bought the ls430 for the experience rather than its speed capabilities! Yesterday I was at a roundabout on an A road alongside a Subaru Turbo...... Something funny came all over me! I wanted to beat this Subaru! Dont know why but I had to do it! I go round the roundabout quite quickly. As soon as I enter the A road with the Subaru alongside me, I put my foot down...... S**t in hell!!! I froze & had a mini heart attack! Ive never experienced anything like that before!! Subaru man was no way to be seen behind me! One doesnt realise what a immensely powerful car it is, even when most of the time it just glides on the roads!!

No need to short! None of us a blind either! Text faaaaaaar to big!

[Hi

Totally agree with the first bit above, you can always get a quick take off as opposed to trying to balance a fierce clutch with all that power, if you can get the jump on them and they bog down just a bit then you usually win....

Regarding the second comment that must be the market sector Lexus aimed at and are you my brother??

Hi Pete,

No I'm sure we're not related though I have relations in Selby. Sad to say that my brother drives a Hyundai :crybaby: but I am working on him.

No need to short! None of us a blind either! Text faaaaaaar to big!

I always thought people on this forum were very friendly and helpful to newcomers,

I think you were trying to say “no need to shout” well as far as I'm aware you have to use capitols to shout....

Personally my sight is not what it used to be and I like the big text.

Just remember we are not all computer wizards like yourself and everyone has to start somewhere.

Lexusls4302001 was excited about something and wanted to share it with us.

So say something nice or don't say anything at all.......

Pete

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links