Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Had my 220d in for a few bits of warrenty work today and had a 250 SE auto loan car....it was lovely and felt totally different to the diesel.

Not that good on the fuel but would be interested to know what the CO level is on the auto as very interested in one now.

Had my 220d in for a few bits of warrenty work today and had a 250 SE auto loan car....it was lovely and felt totally different to the diesel.

Not that good on the fuel but would be interested to know what the CO level is on the auto as very interested in one now.

think the co level is lower on an auto250 putting it in a lower tax group than the man250

Just done a quick calculation....

ISD = 40mpg average over 1 year. Over 10000 miles = 250 gallons, or approx 17.9 tankfulls at 14 gallons per tank

250Auto = 30mpg average over 1 year. Over 10000 miles = 333.3 gallons, or approx 23.8 tankfulls at 14 gallons per tank

Then you factor in that Diesel is 10%ish dearer!!

Then you factor in the extra VED for the 250 Auto...

The way you have to look at it is that for a few extra tankfulls per year, you have a proper "Lexus" if you get the 250 Auto...

(Edit - the auto does seem to sell for more money, even used).

Thanks for the responses!

Didnt get 30mpg in the is250 it was nearer 26mpg with only very gentle driving as I was eecking out the fuel the car had in it (returned with 11miles remaining :whistling: )

I get £0.03/mile more over diesel for a petrol car at work and petrol is £0.10/litre less so doesnt work out much different so long as the is250 does do 30-32mpg. I wouldnt have the manual due to the CO2 level and thought the auto suited the car really well, far better than my auto mercedes.

Had a look and as said the auto' are a lot more

My is 250 auto gives 33.5mpg (avg mpg on board computer over 10,000)on my regular usage and even since this last week keeping the power button switched on I am still gettin 32.9, very happy. My A4 multitronic only returned 38mpg so with the price difference petrol to diesel probably no more expensive on fuel

Didnt get 30mpg in the is250 it was nearer 26mpg with only very gentle driving as I was eecking out the fuel the car had in it (returned with 11miles remaining :whistling: )

That doesn't sound right. With very gentle, or motorway, driving my 250 SE Auto gets 39 - 40mpg. With a normal combination of short commute runs and faster driving I get around 30. The only time I've got as low as 26 from a tankful was when it was all short runs/town driving/power button switched on :winky:

That doesn't sound right. With very gentle, or motorway, driving my 250 SE Auto gets 39 - 40mpg. With a normal combination of short commute runs and faster driving I get around 30. The only time I've got as low as 26 from a tankful was when it was all short runs/town driving/power button switched on :winky:

Power button on all the time and driven 'enthusiastically' most of the time and mine rarely returns less than 28 mpg. Longer runs on the motorway at 80-90 gets it up around the mid thirties. Cruise control at 75 mph returns low to mid 40's mpg .....consistent figures for comparitive driving in the same car over the last 26,000 miles. :driving:

With very gentle, or motorway, driving my 250 SE Auto gets 39 - 40mpg. With a normal combination of short commute runs and faster driving I get around 30. The only time I've got as low as 26 from a tankful was when it was all short runs/town driving/power button switched on :winky:

My experience is similar (see overall figure below) but at the risk of boring, I have to say that it's necessary to check consumption manually over a significant mileage to get accurate figures. The dashboard display in my car is always very optimistic (32.9 indicated versus 30.6 real).

The data on the Spiritmonitor site shows real data for a range of drivers and makes interesting reading.

felt totally different to the diesel

You mean slower? :innocent: :D

Just different experience, very nice to drive.

The IS220d is not a fast diesel, the wifes car we have just changed a 325d msport now that was a fast diesel...only 20bhp more and same torque?? didnt feel like it!

With very gentle, or motorway, driving my 250 SE Auto gets 39 - 40mpg. With a normal combination of short commute runs and faster driving I get around 30. The only time I've got as low as 26 from a tankful was when it was all short runs/town driving/power button switched on :winky:

My experience is similar (see overall figure below) but at the risk of boring, I have to say that it's necessary to check consumption manually over a significant mileage to get accurate figures. The dashboard display in my car is always very optimistic (32.9 indicated versus 30.6 real).

The data on the Spiritmonitor site shows real data for a range of drivers and makes interesting reading.

Yep I check mine independently - always brim the tank, check and then zero the trip meter. That way you can be certain you're measuring accurately.

I drove a couple of Auto's - a base 250 and an SE (courtesy car). The base gave 28mpg (TComp) all town driving only, so real would have been approx 26 and the courtesy car gave me high 30's on a "spirited" cross country run with ETC on. I reckon that could hav easily been 40mpg if I drove it sensibly and didn't keep hitting that kick down switch and then playing too much manually with them paddles...

I also had a manual 250 for a week which averaged 32mpg on a moderate run to newcastle and back (400 miles)

It was at that point, 2 years ago, that I think I conceded to myself of the fact that I had made a terrible mistake... :blush:

Still - people do buy the diesel so there must be something about it that they like...each to their own!

I suppose that the Auto smooth box, the engine which likes to be revved, and the lower Co2 make it perfect...that is if you want a Lexus.

• 4 weeks later...

My first post!

This is an interesting wee debate. I've had a 220d SE for 2 years now but at the last (50k) service I got a 250SE Auto courtesy car. On my day with it I did my normal home work commute, a mix of country roads, motorway, city driving. I managed mid 30's mpg, the diesel is giving an indicated 36.5 mpg average. My last diesel tankful gave me only 33mpg.

Given that I was playing about with the paddle shift, enjoying the kickdown & generally keeping the power mode on I was pretty impressed with the petrol model. I don't know what the difference in contract hire rentals is between the diesel & the petrol but taking the fuel cost only & the fact that the auto is so smooth I'd be sorely tempted by the 250 next time.

I got a real 33.5 mpg from my first full tank in my IS250 auto, the trip computer was showing 35.something, so it was about 2 mpg optimistic. Yesterday I got 40.4 mpg on the trip computer between Kent and Middlesex round the Heathrow part of the M25. I was nursing it a bit towards the end but while crusing was never driving less than 60mph and most of the time keeping at 70mph. This is the highest I've ever had on a journey that is representative of real world conditions but I don't think it's realistic to get this without at least a bit of nursing. I would question whether it is possible to get mid-forties on a "normal" drive at the legal limits (or even sensible speeds) unless it is at 40mph in sixth all the way. I think I once achieved 47.something on the trip computer in these conditions going through roadworks at a constant 40mph, but this is not representative of something you'd get on a full tank or even again on the same section of road. I think the engine/gearbox in this car is great. I believe that Lexus made a giant mistake with the manual box and the diesel engine, a massive amount of disappointment has been expressed on these forums from so many different people, it must have put a lot of people off of Lexus (including myself). It is only because my petrol auto was so much better than my diesel manual that I have any respect left at all for the Mk2 IS. It would have been so nice to have an auto diesel with a smooth power curve.

I would question whether it is possible to get mid-forties on a "normal" drive at the legal limits (or even sensible speeds) unless it is at 40mph in sixth all the way. I think I once achieved 47.something on the trip computer in these conditions going through roadworks at a constant 40mph, but this is not representative of something you'd get on a full tank or even again on the same section of road.

Mine returned a true 44 mpg travelling between Junction 13 (Stroud) on the M5 and Junction 13 (Stafford) on the M6. Ninety miles on cruise control set at 75 mph most of the time. Not sure what the average speed for the journey was, but certainly higher than 60 mph.

Back to 28 mpg on the return journey, but can't state what the return average mph was. :whistling:

Always run on BP Ultimate, or Tesco 99 octane, but I'm not advocating this is the reason for the higher mpg, but it may be. Having the optimum geometry settings and tyre pressures probably makes more of a difference.