Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto Lock Aaaarrrrghhhhh!

Does anyone know in plain english,how to disable the autolock set up on an 08 220d? According to the handbook you disable it with the ign on

(but not running) and hold the unlock button until the locks cycle. Tried this but to no effect, they dont cycle!!! And before anyone asks why? Its a 2 fold reason. 1. I hate the way it "locks you in " after you hit 12mph.

2. Its a pain if I get out, try to grab something through the rear door and find its locked, then have to open the drivers door,press the unlock button blah blah blah.

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know in plain english,how to disable the autolock set up on an 08 220d? According to the handbook you disable it with the ign on

(but not running) and hold the unlock button until the locks cycle. Tried this but to no effect, they dont cycle!!! And before anyone asks why? Its a 2 fold reason. 1. I hate the way it "locks you in " after you hit 12mph.

2. Its a pain if I get out, try to grab something through the rear door and find its locked, then have to open the drivers door,press the unlock button blah blah blah.

Thanks in advance.

hi,mark

not sure about this mate but i'm sure someone with an is220/250 will be along.

how about taking it in to your lexus dealer,sorry i cant help you more :)

That seems to be the default factory setting: my SE-L is the same, not that it's particularly bothering me atm. However, the locks disengage as soon as you put it in P, so, unless you're trying to leap out of the car at >12mph and then get in the back door....?!

That seems to be the default factory setting: my SE-L is the same, not that it's particularly bothering me atm. However, the locks disengage as soon as you put it in P, so, unless you're trying to leap out of the car at >12mph and then get in the back door....?!

Hmmm... That would be very useful...

The GS auto-locks about 15mph +

But definately does not auto-unlock when its put in P...

But anyway, I think the dealers can disable if that's what you want (I like it... makes the car feel more like a taxi safer/secure and more advance/automated).

The auto-unlocking when you put it in Park is a setting you can change yourself. Mine is set up so that it auto-locks at 12mph, but when you stop and put it in P all the doors unlock. Below is a thread from a US forum which might be of help:

OK since you all wanted instructions and it isn't exactly torture for me to play with the new car here's a full proof way to do it

Now I tested this by reverting my settings back to default which is basically doing all the steps again. Flip to P.19 on the manual. What they fail to say there is you have to turn defualt options off, kinda cumbersome but basically if you perform the operation to say 'lock doors @ 12mph' the factory defualt option of 'lock doors when shifting out of park' is not overwritten you will have both options ON but the shifting rule precedes the MPH rule.

To fulfill the original request of:

Doors DO NOT lock when shifting out of park

Doors DO NOT unlock when shifting in to park

Doors DO lock @ 12mph

Doors DO unlock all if drivers side opened within 10secs / unlock drivers only after 10secs.

Put car in to IG-ON

hold unlock button & count to 5 - doors will lock/unlock to confirm

Shutdown

Put car in to IG-ON

hold lock button & count to 5 - doors will lock/unlock to confirm

Shutdown

--Now at this point you have disabled the factory default and the doors will have to be manually locked/unlocked--

Put car in to IG-ON

SHIFT to N

Shutdown (STAY IN N)

Shutdown

--Now you have placed the new ruleset and you are good to go, now the last 2 steps above can be skipped for the drivers that want complete control over their lock functions but it seems that the majority of us in this thread like the MPH lock option as well as the Driver/ALL unlock option--

If you have your manual while reading this you will notice I basically went down the list of available options. My first problem and I assume what others report was also troublesome was there was no mention that you had to turn the first two options off beofore turning the last two on.

The auto-unlocking when you put it in Park is a setting you can change yourself. Mine is set up so that it auto-locks at 12mph, but when you stop and put it in P all the doors unlock. Below is a thread from a US forum which might be of help:

OK since you all wanted instructions and it isn't exactly torture for me to play with the new car here's a full proof way to do it

Now I tested this by reverting my settings back to default which is basically doing all the steps again. Flip to P.19 on the manual. What they fail to say there is you have to turn defualt options off, kinda cumbersome but basically if you perform the operation to say 'lock doors @ 12mph' the factory defualt option of 'lock doors when shifting out of park' is not overwritten you will have both options ON but the shifting rule precedes the MPH rule.

Doors DO lock @ 12mph

Doors DO unlock all if drivers side opened within 10secs / unlock drivers only after 10secs.

Put car in to IG-ON

Shutdown

Put car in to IG-ON

Shutdown

--Now at this point you have disabled the factory default and the doors will have to be manually locked/unlocked--

Put car in to IG-ON

SHIFT to N

Shutdown (STAY IN N)

Shutdown

--Now you have placed the new ruleset and you are good to go, now the last 2 steps above can be skipped for the drivers that want complete control over their lock functions but it seems that the majority of us in this thread like the MPH lock option as well as the Driver/ALL unlock option--

If you have your manual while reading this you will notice I basically went down the list of available options. My first problem and I assume what others report was also troublesome was there was no mention that you had to turn the first two options off beofore turning the last two on.

That's handy - thank you :)

MarkD, you may be interested to know that the 220D can be programmed to unlock all doors if you open the driver's door after turning off the engine. The driver's door has to be opened within 11 seconds of the engine being turned off (why, Lexus, why?), otherwise you will have to go through the hassle of pushing the central unlock button. Only your dealer can do this programming, and even then they have never heard of it until I pointed it out to them in the manual (yes it is in the manual). Hope that helps.

• 3 months later...

Thanks in advance.

The Auto unlocking feature does happen in the manual version, however I have to ask are you planning on getting out after you hit 12 mph? Where I come from ,having this feature is a must due to hi-jackings snatch and grabs etc, both of which are on the rise in the UK as well. This feature was only brought in I believe for the 08 plates onwards. My IS220D se-l has it but I wanted it.

Doors DO lock @ 12mph

Put car in to IG-ON

Shutdown

Put car in to IG-ON

Shutdown

Put car in to IG-ON

SHIFT to N

Shutdown (STAY IN N)

Shutdown

Before I try this, are you sure this works on the SE? I had a feeling it wasn't a function on this model but on the SE L. Thanks.

Well I know that you can change the settings yourself on an SE as that's what I've got and I managed it OK. To be honest I didn't use the whole procedure listed above, but I can confirm the settings can be changed on the SE without going to a dealer.

Thanks for coming back, my manual doesn't seem to cover this unless I was looking in the wrong place. I will have a go based on your earlier post and see how I get on. I must admit it did seem a bit crazy that a car of this calibre didn't have auto locking. Cheers.

I don't think it's in the manual. IIRC I saw a post on the US Lexus forum explaining how to do it. It wasn't as comprehensive as the proecedure listed above but was good enough to guide me through the process. You could try doing a search on www.clublexus.com

Doors DO lock @ 12mph

Put car in to IG-ON

Shutdown

Put car in to IG-ON

Shutdown

Put car in to IG-ON

SHIFT to N

Shutdown (STAY IN N)

Shutdown

Before I try this, are you sure this works on the SE? I had a feeling it wasn't a function on this model but on the SE L. Thanks.

This didn't work for me at all.

OK I can't vouch for the whole process, however I do know that I was able to change one of the settings so that it would automatically unlock all the doors when I shift into Park.

It's fairly critical to get the timing right, i.e. you need to count to 5 accurately etc.....

If you still can't do it, the dealer can change all these settings anyway.

• 9 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links