Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Tapping Noise When Cold

After starting up my IS250SE auto from cold, there is a slight tapping noise from (I think) the engine when accelerating. This is reminiscent of tappet noise and gets faster with engine speed. It is not apparent at idle, and only appears if the engine is under light load (accelerating on the road). The car has done less than 17000 miles and the noise wasn't there until recently. The noise disappears after a few minutes - presumably as the engine gets hotter. The USA LOC web site mentions what seems to be something very similar although for an IS350, and the "answer" is that it is "harmless" piston slap. I am old enough to remember old-fashioned piston slap and my noise seems to be rather more like tappet click. I don't recall piston slap ever being "harmless" either - it was typically an indicator of severe wear. Has anyone else had this problem or know what is is?

Is it like a constant noise that comes when accelerating. does it happen when reving on idle? i've got a similar issue and have had it for a year now and have learnt to live with it, it only seems to come if the car has been left in the cold for about a day and doesnt seem to be that bad on hot weathers. like in the summer I couldnt even notice it. But now that cold weather is back I've started hearing it again. I haven't heard anyone else have the same problem. I know there is service bulletin for a brief tapping noise on startup. I've had this service bulletin carried out on my lexus but this other noise still remains.

Is it like a constant noise that comes when accelerating. does it happen when reving on idle? i've got a similar issue and have had it for a year now and have learnt to live with it, it only seems to come if the car has been left in the cold for about a day and doesnt seem to be that bad on hot weathers. like in the summer I couldnt even notice it. But now that cold weather is back I've started hearing it again. I haven't heard anyone else have the same problem. I know there is service bulletin for a brief tapping noise on startup. I've had this service bulletin carried out on my lexus but this other noise still remains.

The noise is not just one or two knocks - it is constant in synch with engine speed.

The noise is not just one or two knocks - it is constant in synch with engine speed.

Further to my posting above, the noise is not there when revving the engine while in Park, and is only apparent when the engine is under load (ie. accelerating ) and cold. It lasts for 2 or 3 minutes and then quickly reduces in volume until it is inaudible. I am fairly sure that it is not the knock on startup that is referred to in the service bulletin. The noise is even/steady (ie. it is not as though the tap occurs in synch with only one cylinder) and is somewhere between a tap and a knock in sound.

definately sounds exactly like the noise i get. i used to also get the startup crank noise and had the bulletin carried out, hoping that the both might be linked in a way. But, it definately aint linked as that noise still remains

• 4 weeks later...

My car began making the same engine noise (tapping noise when accelerating after a cold start) about one month ago.

It has ~48K miles.

I just brought it to the dealer. They agree that there is an unusual noise, but are not sure what to do.

They have scheduled an appointment with me and the factory service rep. in two weeks.

My fear is that he will say the the noise is acceptabe or normal. Believe me it is not.

If anyone has had a similar noise that was successfully repaired please let me know.

Sorry folks, only just read this post. There is a known fault which shows itself on cold start up which could be your problem, open this link to see the original post. Bratman 91..I know you have stated that you have had the TSIB work carried out on your car, but do you know exactly what was done? http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...309&hl=TSIB

• 2 months later...

Any news on this problem, mine sounds like a diesel until it warms up. Had it serviced and the dealer said they couldn't reproduce the problem. When I started up and drove away it sounded twice as bad as the is250 loan car. When I got home I dug out a long screwdriver and removed the top engine cover. The noise is the loudest around the rear left quarter of the engine and I believe it to be the mechanical fuel pump on the engine, driven off the left most cam. Could it be the fuel pump?? can the clearance between the cam and fuel pump be tightened up?

My symptoms are a tappet type noise worse under light acceleration until the engine is up to operating temperature.

Any news on this problem, mine sounds like a diesel until it warms up. Had it serviced and the dealer said they couldn't reproduce the problem. When I started up and drove away it sounded twice as bad as the is250 loan car. When I got home I dug out a long screwdriver and removed the top engine cover. The noise is the loudest around the rear left quarter of the engine and I believe it to be the mechanical fuel pump on the engine, driven off the left most cam. Could it be the fuel pump?? can the clearance between the cam and fuel pump be tightened up?

My symptoms are a tappet type noise worse under light acceleration until the engine is up to operating temperature.

That's the high pressure injection system and is normal. If you can hear it inside the car it may be worth talking to the Dealership, but it can always be heard standing outside the car and obviously sounds louder with the bonnet up.

Mine sounds like a diesel from new, even when its warm - but its not worried lexus ?

• 2 weeks later...

Just trying to pin down when its at its worst so I don't waste my time at the dealers. Went through a fast food drive thru the other day, was behind a diesel 4x4 that sounded rough, thats until it drove away leaving my ticking lexus. When I get more info it will be posted.

• 10 months later...

Had the car into Lexus Sheffield a few months ago, heard nothing back from them apart from it sounded normal. I even managed to get one of their loaners to produce the noise all be it a lot quieter. After extensive research it looks like piston slap. I will be having the 50K service soon and the noise is getting worse, you can now hear the piston slap after a 90 mile trip on the motorway, so I clearly have a wear issue. Not sure how to proceed on this one.

I have cobbled together an underbonnet microphone today and will be recording the noise my car makes when cold driving away from rest. I will post it here as soon as I get a decent recording and work out how to post it.

Anyone from Lexus GB please PM me about how to proceed. Ive had this car from new 1/1/08

• 1 month later...

Here is a youtube link, this is what my car sound like from cold start, the injectors are noisy, but from standstill you can here the tapping noise on top of the injectors as the car accelerates. Does yours sound the same?? This noise is getting worse and can be heard once the car has warmed up after a long motorway trip. Help anyone.

Does yours sound the same?? This noise is getting worse and can be heard once the car has warmed up after a long motorway trip. Help anyone.

Mine definitely does not sound like that, I just have the ticking of the injection system, and cannot really hear that from the inside.

It sounds worse because of the location of the microphone, initally. As I reverse the car out of the garage(you can hear the parking sensors beeping) the noise is like having the window open.

The tappet noise while accelerating (starts around 1:05 mins into the recording)can be clearly heard in the cabin, although the injector noise seems to be damped out by the cars noise insulation.

Any techs or engine experts comments are welcome.

Hi,

My IS250 had the same tappet sound as yours, it also over the course of a couple of years had the brief rattle on start up.This happened on no more than 5 or 6 times.As my warrenty runs out at the end of May I decided to mention it to my dealer when it was last in for 30,000 mile service.

The techs could not find anything but with a massive stroke of luck, when I went to collect it, the rattle occured when the service adviser went to get it for me.

They then investigate on their dealer network or something and told me it could be one of three things, but whatever it was the engine had to come out and be stripped to gain access.

I was very reluctant to have this drastic work done but agreed anyway.To cut a long story short they replaced all the cam followers and both vvti control units. The loan car was a brand new 250 and the engine was markedly smoother than mine was.I can now say my engine is just as smooth as the loan car and I realise how noisey mine had become.

The service manager said they had fitted the latest version of the vvti units and my engine is now to latest spec.When I picked my car up they said they had a second car with the same problem,a car they had taken in part exchange made the same noise.

Take your car to the dealer and get them to talk to Canterbury Lexus (who I cant praise high enough for their excellent service) they are now experienced in this problem.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I hope this helps.

PS My car was returned as new and you would never have known the engine had been out.

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone

After reading Al's thread regarding the engine tapping noise/rattle, I took my car to the dealer in Kent (T Wells) and explained the situation. They said they have the answer to it - the engine had to come out and be stripped. Its 25hour job and they assured me that the job will be done to perfection.... Thank god, I have the extended warranty...

• 1 month later...

Well Lexus Sheffield had the car for 2 weeks, to look at the engine noise, rear bumper (Paint scratched due to gap clearance) and damaged paint on my alloys done during services.

They painted the bumper, didnt bother with the wheels and replaced the block and pistons because some of the cylinders had worn oval causing the piston slap on a 52K car. The this noise has been cured. However since the work has been done it has developed a whine (like power steering noise). They had the car back for another week to repaint the wheels and look at the noise. The noise is still evident and I've collected yet more scratches to the paint work. I will be recording the whining noise and placing it on here as soon as I have washed the car and checked out the job on the alloys etc.

I thought Lexus/toyota were supposed to be reliable!

Here's the whining noise

Looking at the engine, its either inside or off the accessory belt drive, Ive turned of the aircon, so it should not be that, the only other items are the alternator, water pump and idle pulleys.

Have you had this noise? What was it?

Also cleaned the car, managed to polish out the scratches.

Any ideas how to get rid of the disgusting blackcurrent smell the dealers cleaners have sprayed inside, my car now smells like its ready to be used by avis as a rental car.