Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Crashed My Poor Baby - Please Help A Brother In Need

Hey Guys, :(

Where do I start?

Last night around 2am, driving around a corner when it was raining and the car lost control at around 50mph and spun a fair few times, and my right rear wheel smashed into the curb and the wheel has buckled.

I cant actually even drive the car, the wheel has buckled so much that when I try and drive, it wont move at all.

So - how on earth am i going to get this repaired?

I'm a poor 19 year old Uni Student in Sheffield, so if anyone has got a good contact from here, please point me in the right direction.

Also, is it worth it just taking it to Lexus and letting them sort it out, but they may charge a BOMB for this repair as its quite serious.

Please help out boys - much appreciated

I'm very far from an expert, but it sounds like you've probably damaged the suspension on that side too. I would have thought if you hit the kerb with enough force to badly buckle the wheel, then you've probably done some other damage too.

You're clearly going to need to get someone to have a look at it. Do you have comprehensive insurance ? Or just third party ? I would imagine you could at least get a free estimate for the repairs to give you an idea of how much damage there is, and what parts might need replacing. Then perhaps with more information, other members here might be in a position to be able to advise you on how to fix it with least cost ?

Yeah, basically my insurance is full comprehensive but being so young for this car, my insurance excess is actually £900 which is alot but then saying that, this repair could potentially cost over £2000+ so it might be worth just claiming on the insurance.

Will my no-claims be affected? - I'm sure it will be, wont it?

Yeah, basically my insurance is full comprehensive but being so young for this car, my insurance excess is actually £900 which is alot but then saying that, this repair could potentially cost over £2000+ so it might be worth just claiming on the insurance.

Will my no-claims be affected? - I'm sure it will be, wont it?

Ah ok. You'll have to tell the insurers about the accident even if you decide it's not worth claiming, I think. I see the issue, yes, if you can repair it for cheaper than your excess then it's not worth claiming obviously. But as you say it could turn out to be pricey, depending on what damage has been done. Do you have any no claims at all ? If so it'll be affected if you claim, yes. Even if you don't have no-claims at the moment, they might put your premium up next year because of the crash.

Thankfully, there isnt even a scratch on the bodywork - Just the rear wheel is messed up totally.

The suspension and stuff looks fine, it's just the rear arm is totally bent - I should get some pictures up really

It's really difficult because the car wont move so its difficult to take it around to places to get it checked out :(

it happen to my pervious car (toyota supra) before - same situation and i took it down to Toyota garage which they charge £1600 for repair, but they only replace upper arm, lower arm, suspension (not sure) and need to do GEO on the car.

Take the wheel off and you might see what it need to replace...

I'm not trying to kick you while you're down, and I remember being young and foolhardy myself, but hopefully you've learned from this experience. If you were going at 50mph and ended up spinning a few times then thank goodness it was just a bit of damage to part of your car, and not to yourself or to anyone else (e.g. a pedestrian).

Hopefully you'll be able to get your car back up and running soon, and will be a little bit wiser for the experience :winky:

Yeah I know, fully my own fault and I realise that - Nobody to blame but myself

I was VERY VERY lucky to be honest, could of been ALOT worse - thankfully it was 2am and nobody was around

Just even happier, I didnt take out my other car, then i would of been really ******!

I was VERY VERY lucky to be honest, could of been ALOT worse - thankfully it was 2am and nobody was around

Ure a silly silly fool. So am I - linky.

Hope ya get it sorted out, could have been so much worse, just try to remember that!

a student with 2 cars,i obviously work to hard working 14hr days 6 days a week :o

Yeh right, same here.

Though in fairness Aaron, how hard either of us working when we're on the LOC all day?

Just even happier, I didnt take out my other car, then i would of been really ******!

Criticism and blame aside, we've all done it at some stage. The secret is doing it when there's a) no one to see you make a prat out of yourself and b ) no one to get hurt. You did both - unlike me (I lost control of my Renault 5 when I was 17. I was driving like an idiot in the fog and didn't see the roundabout. Fortunately no one else was around to get hurt but plenty of people in nearly houses saw me make a prat out of myself). Foolish for doing what you did, but well done on getting away with it!!!

Sorry to hear this. The thing is i saw a smashed platinum ice on a trailer along with other broken cars this morning. The damage was from what i can see offside rear. Wonder if thats your car! Also on a different note saw a upside down 206 in the middle of a field and a hatchback of some sort rammed into a hedge and stuck there. All this in the morning, so beware drivers, its that time of the year where you really have to be extra careful.