Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help-key Not Detected Warning Message.

Is it possible that BOTH remote control batteries can fail at same time?

My IS250 refused to allow me in with the key (or spare) today. Eventually, thanks to a salesperson at Lex Liverpool, I prized off the false keyhold cover near the doorhandle and got it started by hoding the keyfob next to start button. However, though it started, the "cannot detect key" light and buzzer stayed on.

The spare remote was equally useless - no reaction from car. No lights inside or on dashboard (as usual) when I sit in and get ready to go.

Has anyone else had this? What do you think the problem is? Afraid to use it in case same nightmare happens again with alarm etc, and in case also I hopd keybob against startbutton next time, and nothing happens?

I would welcome any ideas, thoughts from fellow IS users

i get this a lot but no why, if i have the fob in my pocket with my mobile phone in front of it i get the same thing, also if i put the fob in the cup holder and place my phone on top it happens then as well, must be some sort of interference from my phone signal or Battery?

• Like 1

Thanks for comments guys

I wish I knew. Car now 2.5 yrs old, has not happened before. However, it was not driven for 6 weeks, and when it did start the main Battery showed no sign of weakness. I drove it around for 30 mins to warm up, and i locked it by pressing the black soft-button on the door. Of course, could not repoen with remote (and had both with me as I thought Battery was gone in one of them). I remembered that there is a slot for a key in the boot, and put the key in keyfob into it, which triggered the alarm - that was painful, outside of PC World, and neither remote would shut the car up!

Radio interference less likely as the fault happened in 2 different locations. And, i never had problem with mobile before (same mobile etc).....

Why do Lexus put uncesessary technology into cars when untested? Reliability scores are useless when stranded with a car that 2 remotes cannot open!!

Think you may have answered your question

(OUTSITE PC WORLD)

Mine is effected by wireless internet don't park next to the house now

Its not the Hub. but when ever I search for the internet connection on laptop car locks up !

Update - I took car to Lex Liverpool today and both remote batteries replaced, after which all was OK and working again. It is worth knowing how to get into the car and start it when the remote control is dead:

- remove the small triangle shaped cover to the hidden keyhole, located on left hand side of the main drivers door handle (there is a tiny hidden hole in the base of this cover, which you can put the key into, to get the plastic cover off. This reveals the keyhole

- use the metal key (which itself is hidden in the keyfob) to open the door of the car. The alarm will go off.

- hold keyfob right up against starter button, with your foot on clutch, and car will start (press the start button!)

- drive to dealer or a Battery outlet to get a new remote Battery

thanks for your comments on this thread

Glad you got that sorted. I had posted up the details from the manual re. manual key entry and starting, but my post didn't seem to make the forum.

It's helpful for owners to always know this process. I have had problems getting in in the past when parking near radio masts.

• 5 years later...

Had this happen to me today for the first time, but I think Simon K may have answered the reason, for the first time I can ever remember, I had my mobile and key fob in the same jacket pocket for about 30 minutes, after about 6 attempts to start, it suddenly worked. How do we know if a Battery is getting low, whilst the car would not start a red light flashed on my fob?

Think I'm right in saying these fobs constantly emit the signal to unlock car, which is how smart entry works, whereas normal cars only emit when you press the button. So your spare will run out at the same time as the one you use daily even though you haven;t touched the spare.

I keep a spare Battery in the car.

Hi Mike, understand what you are saying, when I bought the new fob in August lat year, I also changed the Battery in the original fob! If it is still a Battery problem, I guess you are saying that the Battery can be replaced simply without having to reprogramme the fob?

I am concsious that today was the first time I have had my mobile and key fob in the same pocket, so the interference theory sounds a likely answer?

Regards

Danny