Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aristo Back End Stability

lovetruly

How can you make the Aristo back end more stable. I'm referring to two key issues, taking off with power (esp in the wet) when the back end slips and the car moves forward in a fish like motion and of course cornering. Cheers.

Could be worn bushes or ball joints in the rear, bad tyres or geometry out of wack like Miss-informer said. Your profile says you are in the North West, whereabouts if you don't mind me asking? (PM me if you like instead of replying in public) :)

How can you make the Aristo back end more stable. I'm referring to two key issues, taking off with power (esp in the wet) when the back end slips and the car moves forward in a fish like motion and of course cornering. Cheers.

dr bones is the man to sort out that problem

give him a call and will do his best

he is the best i know at geo

Yes, you are all right and I guess I'll have to look into each one of these possibilities one by one. I do have another question though: If there was nothing wrong with the ARS, then do you guys think it could still cause any problems with the back end control. The reason I ask is because if one was to install a Tom's ARS Cancellor would it correct any back end stability problems (assuming the ARS was causing the problems to start with) or does the Tom's bar just eliminate the "floaty" back end feel and nothing else? Cheers

BTW who is "dr bones" and where is he based?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Peejay. I've had a look at that thread but unfortunately am more confused than even before!

You see according to aido "The TOMS ARS Canceller is supposed to increase the performance of the car, and also reduce the weird sensation you can get from the back of the car at speed!

But according to skeet94 "the ARS kicks in at speeds of under 30mph, and shuts off at anything higher. It's mostly to make your turning circle smaller"

Which one do you guys think really applies? Cheers.

Thanks Peejay. I've had a look at that thread but unfortunately am more confused than even before!

You see according to aido "The TOMS ARS Canceller is supposed to increase the performance of the car, and also reduce the weird sensation you can get from the back of the car at speed!

But according to skeet94 "the ARS kicks in at speeds of under 30mph, and shuts off at anything higher. It's mostly to make your turning circle smaller"

Which one do you guys think really applies? Cheers.

they both say the same thing...

switches of at speed, and kicks in at speeds under 30

they both say the same thing...

switches of at speed, and kicks in at speeds under 30

Is it similar on the Skyline then do you know mate? The GS must have a crap turning circle compared to this, I sometimes think the Aristo might as well be a barge when you're doing a full lock turn LOL!

From what I'd read people were saying that the backend of the car feels floaty at motorway speeds, ie 70 80 etc and the ARS cancellor gets rid of that? Or does that just mean that the ARS system in itself just has play at those speeds which causes the floaty sensation? People who've sat in the back of mine has said it feels weird at high speeds, I don't notice it up front to be honest!

on the skyline they just disconnect the rear steer, and put locking collars in

Nissan call it HICAS

You know way too much mate! I actually meant does that also stop at highspeed as I always though four wheel steer was supposed to be a performance enhancement but if it's just like they had in the Honda was it that just decreases the turning circle to make parking easier I feel cheated :crybaby:

Might be worth asking over at Club Aristo too as there are plenty more folks with these cars over there, more than on here!

Anees is on both though so if he sees this he can give you some info about it :)

Thanks Aido and Lovetruly.

Yes got the ARS Cancellor fitted and the geometry is done and I have noticed:

1 -t urning circle of the car is very slightly larger in car parts but not much in it.

2 - backend is more stable and planted at higher speeds

3 - I have the TRD AntiRoll bars too, so not sure if its the TRD bars or the Cancellor bar that have this affect but the backend actually feels like it is connected to the car! lol

@Lovetruly - I realised that you sent me a PM a while back, I accidently deleted it :blush: but yea, you are not too far, so if you fancy meeting up for an Aristo chat let me know - better then being told I have a barge like the banter I get from most of my Suburu/Evo owning mates! :P

Sounds like mine pre geometry i used to get the back end coming round when i accelerated hard from standing and then snapping back round the other way as it found purchase. Alot of my problems stemmed from toe and camber being way out. I have the ARS cancellors on mine as well and now the car feels great.

Quick test to do would be to find a fairly decent dual carriageway thats quiet and seeing if when you let go of the wheel it follows the camber gently on either side and stays in the middle when you straddle the lines, its rough but if it shoots off to one side it will certainly indicate a problem.

Does all mark II aristos have ARS ? Mine is the V300 (not vertex) my mechanic and also my colleague says i don't have it.

Plus I have a couple of 'problems'

1. When the rear wheels goes over (around 30mph)small potholes the back end skips out of line

2. When i brake heavily from about 60mph the back end loses stabilty ie wants to do a 'fish tail'

3. When on full lock slowly turning right down a slope i get a click click click sound coming from the front left suspension and also squeaks when the front end goes slowly over bumps.

The shocks were new in July and also had a wheel alignment done. Does anyone know what could be wrong ? Any feedback would be much appreciated.