Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brakes - Caliper & Vsc

I had new disks & pads fitted to the rear brakes at 40k service on my 54 reg RX300. Just 2000 miles later the drivers side is completely worn and squeals intermitantly when driving without using the brakes. The local dealer, who carried out the work, states the caliper is sticking and wants £270 + vat just for the part to replace it. They claim this is a very regular problem with RXs but I see little mention on this forum. Any advice? Also recently the engine symbol and vsc warning lit up recently for a couple of days after driving through a puddle but has now gone back out. I have read about a corroded connector problem with massive rectifying costs. Is this a forewarning and likely to occur soon?

I'm surprised that you needed new pads and discs on the rear so early on...pads yes, but discs? By comparison I have changed the rear pads (with the front) at circa 32K - and now almost 18 months later and mileage @ 52K the rears are just fine.

Sticking caliper would be my own diagnosis from what you said, so if thats what the Dealer has said, then it seems to fit...but surely you would have known the caliper was sticking as there would be a definite smell of burnt material every time you got out of the car? Anyhoo...I would make a very strong representation to the original Dealer that they sort it as the work was done not more than a thousand miles (or so) ago and you find it more than just a coincidence that this problem has arisen so soon afterwords.

My approach would be to lay the problem at the Dealers feet and see how they respond.

Agree........one thing to mention is the fact upon replacing the rear pads the dealer would have had to release and retract the rear caliper piston, and had there been any "sticking" it should have been spotted and rectified there and then.....go back and have a moan at the dealer........good luck though, thier book of excuses rivals that of any industry!

Agree........one thing to mention is the fact upon replacing the rear pads the dealer would have had to release and retract the rear caliper piston, and had there been any "sticking" it should have been spotted and rectified there and then.....go back and have a moan at the dealer........good luck though, thier book of excuses rivals that of any industry!

many thanks. The dealer is fitting the new caliper tomorrow. I will post how I get on. I am concerned about the vsc warning light as previous posts have indicated huge four figure bills. Has this just gone out because the connection has dried out or is it busy corroding away to leave me with a virtually unsellable vehicle? Anyone any ideas?

Dealer should be able to read the Code thrown up by your ECU (even though light is out - still retained in memory) and should also be able to suggest what caused it....

Just wondering if you got this sorted and if so - what fix did you opt for?

Just thinking that it may help others if they come up against something like this...

Sorry for the long delay in replying, but I've been waiting to give a definitive answer. The dealer had the car from the previous Wednesday to last Monday - no hardship as I was loaned an RX400 to drive to England and back which was very nice - during which time they sorted a couple of ongoing issues I won't bore you with and changed the drivers side rear caliper, returning the car a lot cleaner than when they received it. Even better I have not been presented with a bill. Only trouble is the first time I drove the car afterwards the squeal was still there, if only less frequent (and now seems to pretty much have stopped) so I can only guess another caliper may be slightly sticking on occasion. It's nearly a week now since they promised to get back to me with when they will take the car back to have another look but previous experience tells me not to hold my breath so I am a little bit in a quandry are my brakes ok or aren't they? Not entirely sure how I should proceed.

Dealer should be able to read the Code thrown up by your ECU (even though light is out - still retained in memory) and should also be able to suggest what caused it....

a sensor in the exhaust had picked up a dodgy oxygen level reading - aparently now sorted and nothing to worry about............ unless it happens again!