Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

HI

I have googled until I am red in the face can't find any information regards a scanner.

I have the 16 pin connector and I phoned the main Lexus dealer in Bristol and he said he is fairly sure my car is OBD2 compliant,when I go into the companies selling these scanners they say there should be a label under the bonnet saying this but I do not have a label.

Is any forum member using a scanner for a 1999 GS300 before I buy one and find it doesn't work because they are saying once opened they cannot do a refund I need to contact the main dealer which is what I did

Thanks

Norman :unsure:

HI

I have googled until I am red in the face can't find any information regards a scanner.

I have the 16 pin connector and I phoned the main Lexus dealer in Bristol and he said he is fairly sure my car is OBD2 compliant,when I go into the companies selling these scanners they say there should be a label under the bonnet saying this but I do not have a label.

Is any forum member using a scanner for a 1999 GS300 before I buy one and find it doesn't work because they are saying once opened they cannot do a refund I need to contact the main dealer which is what I did

Thanks

Hello Norman, if you can mate send Tigerfish a PM as he's got quite a bit of knowledge on the GS series and think he should be able to help you with your query? :)

HI

Thanks

Hello Norman, if you can mate send Tigerfish a PM as he's got quite a bit of knowledge on the GS series and think he should be able to help you with your query? :)

Hi Guys

Many thanks for the information I will do as you suggest and PM Tigerfish.

Norman

Replied mate.

Not really sure if I can help or not but as far as I know, the Mk2's were OBDII compliant. check out this link clicky where I was asking what kind of socket this was (under the dash on the drivers side). If yours is the same socket, then it isn't OBDII compliant, if it is different, then chances are it is. If I remember correctly, Maneesh on here had a 99 Sport, I'm sure he had a reader.

Replied mate.

Not really sure if I can help or not but as far as I know, the Mk2's were OBDII compliant. check out this link clicky where I was asking what kind of socket this was (under the dash on the drivers side). If yours is the same socket, then it isn't OBDII compliant, if it is different, then chances are it is. If I remember correctly, Maneesh on here had a 99 Sport, I'm sure he had a reader.

Thanks Rick

I did PM you back with a reply to your answer did you get it OK

Norman

Replied mate.

Thanks Rick

Norman

Yes mate, cheers. Glad it helped. Just thought I would put what I had written in the thread in case it is of use to anyone in the future.

Replied mate.

Thanks Rick

Norman

Yes mate, cheers. Glad it helped. Just thought I would put what I had written in the thread in case it is of use to anyone in the future.

It appears you cannot get a code reader for a 1999 GS300 Sport which surprises me because before I bought my Lexus I had a 1999 Mercedes C-200 with the 38 pin connector under the bonnet and it worked fine.

Hope this helps any other members that are thinking of getting one.

just to confirm.. most OBD2 code readers will not recognise the GS300.. i have a mac tools one that will testify to that! although it works in every other bloody car i try it in - including IS200's

So basicaly no... the 1999 GS300 will not allow itself to be read by a hand code reader

just to confirm.. most OBD2 code readers will not recognise the GS300.. i have a mac tools one that will testify to that! although it works in every other bloody car i try it in - including IS200's

So basicaly no... the 1999 GS300 will not allow itself to be read by a hand code reader

It's amazing that isn't it I have had a few older cars IE 1996 to 1999 and have been OK with most of them I wonder what Lexus has done to the GS300, seems strange that the IS200 can be read I have emailed and phoned two Lexus Main dealers and they say Quote: I have never heard of OBD2 so cannot help you any way if you are trying to use an after market gadget on a Lexus we do not recommend it,so they were no help at all

I have the 16 pin connector with connections to pins 2-5-9-11-12 which looks as if it should work on the SAE J1850 VPW protocol but I have tried 3 scanners and none worked it would be nice to know why they have put the 16 pin connector in with those pins connected but it does not work (intrigued).

Norman :shutit:

• 4 weeks later...

It's amazing that isn't it I have had a few older cars IE 1996 to 1999 and have been OK with most of them I wonder what Lexus has done to the GS300, seems strange that the IS200 can be read I have emailed and phoned two Lexus Main dealers and they say Quote: I have never heard of OBD2 so cannot help you any way if you are trying to use an after market gadget on a Lexus we do not recommend it,so they were no help at all

I have the 16 pin connector with connections to pins 2-5-9-11-12 which looks as if it should work on the SAE J1850 VPW protocol but I have tried 3 scanners and none worked it would be nice to know why they have put the 16 pin connector in with those pins connected but it does not work (intrigued).

Norman :shutit:

Thought you guys might be interested with this reply today from Lexus because I would still like a scanner (The mystery deepens)

Norman

Dear Mr Reed

Thank you for contacting Lexus

I can confirm that your GS 300 is OBD11 compliant, I have confirmed this with Lexus GB head office. If you have any other technical queries I have provided the Lexus GB head office details below.

Lexus GB Ltd

Great Burgh

Burgh Heath

Epsom

Surrey

KT18 5XS

Tel: 01737 36 36 34

Fax: 01737 36 77 01

I trust this information is of use to you, and if I can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact me, using one of the methods shown below.

Yours sincerely

Omar Cheema

Lexus Customer Account Advisor

Phone: 0845 278 8888

Email: information@lgb.lexus..co.uk

Lexus (GB) Ltd Registered in England Number 2484623

Registered Office:

Burgh Heath,

Great Burgh.

Epsom,

Surrey.

ENGLAND

KT18 5XS

VAT Registration Number: GB679 9771

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 04/12/2008 15:12:11

To: lexuscc@listening.co.uk, lgb_test@amaze.com

Subject:

Ask A Question Completed:

Question: I have a 1999 GS300 sport with a 16 pin connector for a code scanner can you tell me if my car is OBD11 compliant, I have connections to pins 2-5-9-11-12 I am going abroad for 6 months and would like to buy a scanner in case I get problems that an overseas garage cannot diagnose

nope... i only use mac tools products... the ET50 wouldnt read it.. then the next generation (cant remember name) can protocol reader still could not read it.. just says it wont interface with the vehicle.. detects only so far.. but the ECU will not let itself be read

I believe you need one that talks the CAN protocol, not sure if the cheapies will do all the manufacturer specific codes or not.

CAN did not come in until later, found a place in the US that does one for my car (are you ready) prices $4000 plus delivery and $8000 plus delivery that's more than the bloody car is worth LOL. so give up time I think I will have to get any problems read at a garage what a bummer. :whistling:

• 10 years later...

snap.me too. ive got a 2000 lexus gs 300 cant get a code reader tried tech stream eBay its non compliant to my car tried another that's going back too,i suppose its the flash test count the blinks guess the code . all I get its not obd2 compliant yet there is a 16 digit pin which any obd2 fits but lits it up an that's it,is there really a obd1 to buy,thanks guys brian