Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bought my car 14months ago for 26k, now I find one the same age without MM with only 5000miles for £13250 in autotrader. Its a private ad, is it real or a scam?

A girl at work spotted a top of the range beetle cabrio well underpriced in Autotrader.On enquiring she was told the owner had moved abroad and the car was in Germany with him and if she deposited the money for it in a third party bank account suggested by him he would bring the car back for her to see.If she wanted it he would leave it and arrange for the money transfer. Needless to say she did not reply but then got an e-mail supposedly from Autotrader to say the offer was genuine.She phoned Autotrader who said they do not contact potential purchasers and only carry the ads. This was obviously a scam but the ad looked good with plenty of pictures of the car.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/c...mp;max_mileage=

I hope the link works, I'm not good at this type of thing.

If it is genuine, I am well p....d off but still happy with the car.

Saw something similar myself about 4 weeks ago in while browsing Autotrader -

55 plate BMW M5 with 30,000 on the clock, private seller..........£18,950.

I believe these retail in excess of £55k. Lots of pictures and service history in the detail.

I thought there must be catch so called the mobile number, this irrate Geordie answered and said 'Ah bo**ocks man, not another one'. Turns out somone has put his mobile number as the contact and he knows nothing about the car.

So not sure if he'd pi**ed somone off or was a genuine mistake.

Alot of Big scams.

If you try ringing there no dial tone so they want u to email them for information about the car. They will reply back to you with a copy and paste email telling everyone they moved to germane or Switzerland and cant drive a right hand drive with some make up crap.

Make sure u try ringing the number before do any think.

Saw something similar myself about 4 weeks ago in while browsing Autotrader -

55 plate BMW M5 with 30,000 on the clock, private seller..........£18,950.

I believe these retail in excess of £55k. Lots of pictures and service history in the detail.

I thought there must be catch so called the mobile number, this irrate Geordie answered and said 'Ah bo**ocks man, not another one'. Turns out somone has put his mobile number as the contact and he knows nothing about the car.

So not sure if he'd pi**ed somone off or was a genuine mistake.

Main dealers are selling M5's, 55 plate for £25-30k

These scams only work if they are 'a bit' too cheap. Just enough to tempt someone into doing something silly in an attempt to score a bargain, but if they are too cheap then people get suspicious and scared off too easily.

Same as the 419 scams, the money taken is always 100 quid here, 100 quid there - it all adds up to a lot but it's never thousands and thousands in one hit.

Alot of Big scams.

If you try ringing there no dial tone so they want u to email them for information about the car. They will reply back to you with a copy and paste email telling everyone they moved to germane or Switzerland and cant drive a right hand drive with some make up crap.

Make sure u try ringing the number before do any think.

would be good if it was true, but nothing stopping you having a RHD in either country.

They try the same scam here but reversed - german reg motorbike is in the UK etc etc.... one lad at work saw an ad, bike was a fair bit cheaper but they were stupid and mentioned western union and a 3rd party handling agent - agent send bike over he looks at it and then they do all paperwork etc. It fell apart when he told the scammer his mate lives in the same town in the UK and want to look at bike.

The financial problems at the moment mean there could be some bargains cropping up - but obviously be very careful if the price seems too good to be true.

Did anyone see that piece on the TV lastnight where they went to an auction of cars from bankrupted companies (and individuals I suppose)? They had a Porsche Cayenne there, 54 plate, needed a new windscreen, it was no reserve and went for 10.2k!!

Did anyone see that piece on the TV lastnight where they went to an auction of cars from bankrupted companies (and individuals I suppose)? They had a Porsche Cayenne there, 54 plate, needed a new windscreen, it was no reserve and went for 10.2k!!

I quick look on Auto trader and you can pick one of them up from a dealer with warranty for 12k

I quick look on Auto trader and you can pick one of them up from a dealer with warranty for 12k

Really? Well maybe it wasn't such a steal. Suppose the problem is the usual thing with prestige cars - most people who can afford to run one can also afford to go and buy themselves a new one.

It's funny, I really dislike the Cayenne, but for 12k I find it quite tempting!!!

The financial problems at the moment mean there could be some bargains cropping up - but obviously be very careful if the price seems too good to be true.

Subaru are doing the same. Buy a Forrester or something and get a free Impreza.