Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

"running In" A New Engine

No. Just don't thrash it through the gearbox. My company cars were always faster and smoother as I let the engine find its own "cruising" speed when new. They are not like the engines in the '60s & '70s.

Hi group, first post here :) Just got a new 2.2d SE, do i have to run the engine in (keep below a speed on motorway) for a certain amount of miles?

Thanks

I am not 100% sure, but I think the manual states that for the first 1,500 miles don't rev the engine too high. Check the manual again, it is mentioned somewhere.

Hi group, first post here :) Just got a new 2.2d SE, do i have to run the engine in (keep below a speed on motorway) for a certain amount of miles?

Thanks

I am not 100% sure, but I think the manual states that for the first 1,500 miles don't rev the engine too high. Check the manual again, it is mentioned somewhere.

It's more important to not let the engine labour. You'll find that difficult unless you keep towards the peak revs band. All engones these days are bench tested anyway so there shouldn't be a problem driving normally after about a 100 miles to let the swarf clear out. Certainly with bikes the best results are by riding hard form day one.

I just had a look at what "Honest John" has to say on running in a diesel. Honest John has a column in the Telegraph on Saturdays and has his own website also.

This is his advice on running in a diesel.

16. RUNNING IN A DIESEL: What's the best way to run-in a diesel engine?

Leave factory fill of oil for the first year or 10,000 miles. For the first 1,000 miles do not exceed 3,000rpm, but make sure you reach 3,000rpm regularly. For the next 1,000 miles (to 2,000 miles) do not exceed 3,500rpm, but make sure you reach 3,500rpm regularly. For the next 1,000 miles (to 3,000 miles) do not exceed 4,000rpm, but make sure you reach 4,000rpm regularly. For the next 1,000 miles (to 4,000 miles) do not exceed 4,500rpm, but make sure you reach 4,500rpm at least a couple of times a week. After that, no limit, but make sure you continue to hit 4,500rpm through the gears several times a week. The benefit of this is it helps to self clean the injectors, it blows any accumulated soot out of the exhaust system and it helps to free off the piston rings, making the engine more efficient and less likely to use engine oil.

What I find interesting in this is the advice to hit the 4,500 rpm several times a week. It sounds like this could reduce the sooting up problem that relates to the egr.

I know that about one year ago one of the engineers in the Lexus Service station gave me similar advice. He advised me to make sure I gave the car a run at least once a week that would have the engine good and hot and would have high revs to clean out the emissions.

I was breaking in like this my last motorbike and at 9.000kms so far no troubles and below average oil consumptiom. I will see how it will go later.

The service was checking the oil filters and they said no debris was in it.

This was heavily debated here about 18 months ago, and it really depends on whether you intend to keep if for the long haul or it's a leaser...

I've always run diesels in, and never exceeded 2/3rd of the engine max RPM for the first 1000-1250 miles (3300rpm in the ISD), then gently increasing that to 4500RPM for the next 1000 miles, and then use max revs after 2500 miles - but not several times a week!! May be once a week!!

The ISD engine is notoriously tight - I seem to recall that the car was uncomfortable in 3rd at 25mph and felt as though it laboured in virtually anygear other than 1st and 2nd...for the first 200 miles.

So bench run or not, this engine needs careful running in - and it isn't fully run in until 7-8000 miles, from my exprience...dealers always say "...go fill yer boots...", but they only know how to sell...

In fact I never really used 4th gear below 40 for the first 1250 miles and didn't even try 6th until the car had 2500 miles on the clock.

The results were spectacular though - from 5000-7500 miles, the car was at it's peak, giving the best economy (30-35 in town, 40-45 on a run), smoothness etc...then just before the 10k service the oil consumption shot up. After the service the fuel consumption started to drop, injectors changed etc and the rest is a well documented history...

PS - Motorways are OK as anytime during the day it's nigh on impossible to stick to a constant speed - but they are best avoided, povided you don't drive at a constant speed/gear...keep varying it between 2000 and 3000rpm, change gears etc. It's not too bad

PPS - The HJ one sems vry conservative, and sems to site an example where the max RPM is 4500. Th ISD is 5250, so you can go a bit further...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links