Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Axle Stands

Steviewevie

Following on from my previous posting on this subject, where exactly should I place axle stands under my IS200 ?

I can see where I am supposed to jack the car up from (using a trolley jack) from the diagram as per below from the online workshop manual diagram here (i.e. under centre of front suspension or rear diff).

What I'm not clear on is where to put the axle stands when the car is jacked up though :unsure:

it shows you in the link you posted where to put the axle stands

Does it ? I could only see points indicated for where to put a jack, nothing indicated on the axles. Did I miss something ?

its the rectangular boxes with little dots in :whistling:

(safety stands and swing arm lifts)

its the rectangular boxes with little dots in :whistling:

(safety stands and swing arm lifts)

Thanks, but I thought axle stands were normally used on the axles ? So it would be better to place my axle stands there at the side rather than under the axles ? Is that meant to be a picture of an axle stand, I thought it was some sort of different jack ? :lol:

Following on from my previous posting on this subject, where exactly should I place axle stands under my IS200 ?

I can see where I am supposed to jack the car up from (using a trolley jack) from the diagram as per below from the online workshop manual diagram here (i.e. under centre of front suspension or rear diff).

What I'm not clear on is where to put the axle stands when the car is jacked up though :unsure:

I'm surprised that they suggest positioning the jack under the rear diff! This is not a good idea. Check in the vehicle handbook but I'm sure that the diff will not be recommended as a "jacking point."

I would never allow my car to be jacked up in this manner.

whats the issue with jacking on the diff..

its the most securely fastened part of the transmission

and id be utterly amazed if you were able to damage the unit by jacking on it, considering its a very thick cast steel part

the Lexus workshop manual, states that that is the rear jacking point, so, in your opinion why is it not a good idea?

and id be utterly amazed if you were able to damage the unit by jacking on it, considering its a very thick cast steel part

the Lexus workshop manual, states that that is the rear jacking point, so, in your opinion why is it not a good idea?

Why would you wish to use any part of the transmission as a jacking point ?

The handbook for my Series 1 GS300 and also the handbook for my Series 2 GS430 both state quite clearly that you should use the jacking points that are on the car, in front of rear wheels and behind front wheels by the area of the sills. Whilst I realise that a lot of people do use the diff as a jacking point I am at a loss as to why, when the manufacturers provide strengthened positions for jacking.

I cannot find anywhere in the Lexus handbook for my car that states that it is the rear jacking point although the illustrations in the DIY section are somewhat unclear but does state "make sure to set the jack properly in the jack point."

The handbook for my Series 1 GS300 and also the handbook for my Series 2 GS430 both state quite clearly that you should use the jacking points that are on the car, in front of rear wheels and behind front wheels by the area of the sills. Whilst I realise that a lot of people do use the diff as a jacking point I am at a loss as to why, when the manufacturers provide strengthened positions for jacking.

I cannot find anywhere in the Lexus handbook for my car that states that it is the rear jacking point.

It is the rear central jacking point for the IS200 though. Check out the link in my original posting, which is to the online workshop manual, which I believe was produced by Lexus. The owners handbook only talks about using the scissor jack, which will obviously use the usual jacking points at the side.

Surely there's also a central jacking point for the GS too at the rear, for using a trolley jack ?

It is the rear central jacking point for the IS200 though. Check out the link in my original posting, which is to the online workshop manual, which I believe was produced by Lexus. The owners handbook only talks about using the scissor jack, which will obviously use the usual jacking points at the side.

Surely there's also a central jacking point for the GS too at the rear, for using a trolley jack ?

The manual shows trolley jack in DIY section but is slightly unclear. It appears to show diff at rear and also a central point at front but the illustrations show the jack going in at an angle towards the side. I accept that this may well be as you say for the 200 but I would still never be inclined to use the diff or any other part of the transmission to lift the car.

I suppose, as with all things, that we all have our own methods which we have always used with no obvious problems occurring.

Why would you wish to use any part of the transmission as a jacking point ?

I cannot find anywhere in the Lexus handbook for my car that states that it is the rear jacking point although the illustrations in the DIY section are somewhat unclear but does state "make sure to set the jack properly in the jack point."

the strengthened sill areas are where you would place the stands after you have lifted it

how would you fit them if you were lifting it from those points, and to place stands you need to lift the car evenly across so that both sides were placed on stands at the same time

the strengthened sill areas are where you would place the stands after you have lifted it

how would you fit them if you were lifting it from those points, and to place stands you need to lift the car evenly across so that both sides were placed on stands at the same time

In that case anyone who wishes to do anything to their car that requires a wheel to be removed needs to buy not just axle stands but also a trolley jack? People have been using axle stands for years without possessing a trolley jack......it's only in relatively recent years that decent trolley jacks have become affordable to the general motoring public.

However, since it is some years since I did all my own maintenance, and you guys spend time fitting mods etc. then I bow to your obviously superior knowledge, but I will still never allow my cars to be lifted in this way!