Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Master Cylinder

norlec

Hi Guys

I am at a loss where Lexus get there price from for GS300 brake master cylinder £2000 plus the fitting.

If you have a car like mine 1999 you may as well scrap it because the car in the present climate is not worth that much.

I have only had mine a month and paid £3100.00 so as you can see never worth a new cylinder.

Norman

Absolutely gutted for you :o

Maneesh (on here) had to scrap his 1999 car because the Break Master Cylinder failed and a few other issues but if you keep trying you can pick one up from a breaker. I was up at Charlesworth Motors in Glossop a few weeks back and they had a customer come in needing to replace the brake master cylinder. Luckily he managed to get one from a breaker for £500.

They are hard to come by, but keep trying.

Don't give up.................. :)

Try places in the US too.

Thanks Anees

Put a call out on the net and a guy phoned me this morning with a reconditioned unit with a 12 months warranty for £450.00 so I can live with that,as we all know these are nice cars (bit thirsty) but I knew that when I bought it and I really want to keep it because it is low mileage 87197 and in pristine condition I get loads of comments and a nice bit of power under the bonnet.

Norman

Thanks Anees

Put a call out on the net and a guy phoned me this morning with a reconditioned unit with a 12 months warranty for £450.00 so I can live with that,as we all know these are nice cars (bit thirsty) but I knew that when I bought it and I really want to keep it because it is low mileage 87197 and in pristine condition I get loads of comments and a nice bit of power under the bonnet.

Norman

For a Mk.2 booster & master cylinder that's an excellent price!

Part numbers:-

47050-30150 (Aug 97 - Jan 00)

47050-30152 (Jan 00 - Jul 00, suitable substitute for above part)

47050-30230 (Jul 00 onwards)

Hi Guys

I am at a loss where Lexus get there price from for GS300 brake master cylinder £2000 plus the fitting.

If you have a car like mine 1999 you may as well scrap it because the car in the present climate is not worth that much.

I have only had mine a month and paid £3100.00 so as you can see never worth a new cylinder.

Norman

Did you buy it privately or from a garage?

If purchased from a garage it is their responsibility to repair it.

Did you buy it privately or from a garage?

If purchased from a garage it is their responsibility to repair it.

Surely not unless it was under warranty or can be proved to have been unroadworthy when they sold it ? :unsure:

So many people are totally unaware of their rights. If a fault occurrs within the first 6 months of purchase of a car from a garage, the onus, by law, is on the garage to prove that the fault was not present or developing at the time of purchase. Garages who say they only give 3 months warranty are still subject to the Sale of Goods Act, which covers this situation.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has there been some issues regarding to master cylinder, what ?

My friend has a GS300 which turns on parking brake light, when brake is pressed first time after ignition... i think i saw a leak beneath the master cylinder but couldnt see where it comes from ?

Brake fluid is changed, correctly bleeded and level is at full.

The common issue with the master cylinder is it cannot achieve the correct pressure. Unlike most vehicles it uses an electric pump to provide braking assistance and for ABS/VSC operation. Most vehicles use vacuum from the engine inlet.

If correct pressure cannot be achieved after a certain period (1 minute?) the VSC warning light will come on and a buzzer will sound.

One of three things fail, either the pump wears out, the pressure sensor goes faulty or a seal goes so pressure cannot be maintaned. We believe it is the pump although I'm still not sure if anybody has proven which of these things fail.

Lexus do not sell the pump on its own and therefore you have to change the complete master cylinder which costs around £2000. The pump itself can actually be remove and repaired if you can find somebody to refurbish it.

• Like 1

Lexus do not sell the pump on its own......

It's listed separately in the Toyota Aristo parts catalogue, along with the master cylinder seals, the pressure switch, and the accumulator. I wonder if the parts for a rebuild could be obtained from another source.

Do you have the part number. We can then see if it's available via Lexus dealers in the UK. When people have tried before just to get a pump they are always told by the dealer that it isn't available on its own, maybe that's just dealers not using the EPC correctly!

This is what I see on mine:

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_1998_TOYO...PVZ_4702.2.html

Seems to have all sorts of bits listed on there!

Saying that though here's the one for the GS300 European model:

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_1998_LEXU...QFW_4702.2.html

Looks the same to me but I don't know if that's because it's listing more than they've let on in the past?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Guys

Norman

Not so sure how they calculate these prices, but as I always say you can't expect to buy this sort of car and and expect parts to cost the same as they would for a mondeo.

The only way I can see around it is to strip it out of the vehicle and send it off to somewhere like www.pastparts.co.uk - can highly recommend them for any hydraulic cylinder rebuild.

• 2 months later...
Hi Guys

Norman

Not so sure how they calculate these prices, but as I always say you can't expect to buy this sort of car and and expect parts to cost the same as they would for a mondeo.

The only way I can see around it is to strip it out of the vehicle and send it off to somewhere like www.pastparts.co.uk - can highly recommend them for any hydraulic cylinder rebuild.

A car costing that sort of money should not have a common fault that is going to cost that much to repair it.

I would have thought with the Technology of building prestige cars that they have it would not be hard to make a reliable one my car had 87000 miles on it and last week I had to replace it but I was fairly lucky as a guy on eBay had a brand new one still in the box for £920 including delivery and it cost me £160.00 to have it fitted.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links