Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help -oil Leak Rocket Gasket Cover

Jay6

Hi All,

(Please excuse my knowledge as I am not very technical in the aspect of the engine)

I had the plugs changed on my IS200 sport today by a local garage. They had removed the coils and on when replacing the spark plugs they noticed a very small amount of oil in one of the holes. They have advised that the Rocket gasket cover needs to be replaced and the seals otherwise in the long run this could damage the coil.

Can you please advise if this correct diagnostic?

Also they have advised I may as well change all of the seals. Can anyone advise on cost on how much the rocket gasket cover and seals would cost? Also would this need to be done urgently as I am pretty much strapped for the cash at the moment would prefer to delay it if possible?

Thanks

Jay

Didn't think if the rocker cover was leaking it would get into the plugs, arn't the plugs ontop of the engine above the gasket level? could well be wrong but normally this only happens when the plugs are lower than the leak and the oil runs down into them.

Didn't think if the rocker cover was leaking it would get into the plugs, arn't the plugs ontop of the engine above the gasket level? could well be wrong but normally this only happens when the plugs are lower than the leak and the oil runs down into them.

Hard to describe but the plug is at the top of the cylinder and so is below the level of the cam shafts. The rocker cover has "tubes" that go down to the head with a seal at the bottom to stop oil going into the bottom of the tube. This is where the plugs and coil packs go. It is possible that this is leaking allowing oil to collect around the bottom of the plug. I don't think that you would get enough to come up into the coil pack to affect it but stand to be corrected.

Surely if you had blown head gasket you would have white crap/sludge in your oil.....

The problem is not the head gasket it's the rocker cover seals.

hows things der matey just get a rocker cover gasket and change it yourself its a good few 10 bolts but its easy keep the area clean and dont let any dirt and water go into the head use a small bit of sealer and the new gasket or if ya want just put engine sealer and ur old gasket :shifty:

hows things der matey just get a rocker cover gasket and change it yourself its a good few 10 bolts but its easy keep the area clean and dont let any dirt and water go into the head use a small bit of sealer and the new gasket or if ya want just put engine sealer and ur old gasket :shifty:

Hi guys, thanks for all the quick responses much appreciated.

Lecky - I am afraid I am no good with spanner/etc so probably have to get the rocker cover & seals changed at my local garage.

Could this possibly wait till next month? or will this cause more problems If i dont rectify this asap. (only recognised this today due to changing the plugs. may have been like this for months)

as to the guys 1st post he is not 100% on things like this, so i would have to say dont try and do this your self, take it some where to get done it will not cost to much as long as you have the parts :) you could all ways come down to me in gravesend and i will do it for you if you like, im happy to help if i can :D

Please mate, use some punctuation and real words. (your, there, you) its just easier to read.

Sorry to be an a**e.

it will be the plug seals on the cam cover

easy enough job, you will need to take the cover off so best to do the gasket as well

the seals will seep oil into the plug tube, but it will take a while to build up enough to damage the coilpacks

if you are worried about it, stick an airline down and blow it out, cover with a few rags first, or you will cover yourself and the engine bay in oil !!

Please mate, use some punctuation and real words. (your, there, you) its just easier to read.

Sorry to be an a**e.

sorry bud will do

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links