Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cold Engine Noise

IrishGS300

Hi,

I am due to send the car for a service, a 1998 GS300 with 98k miles on the clock. One thing I'll be asking them to look at is cold startups. When started from cold ( in the morning ) it has developed a loud "squeal" from the engine which subsides once it warms up. I don't think it's anything too serious, I've had cars of similar ageing in the past from different makers and this developed also. I think it's a belt or a bearing or something, yet I don't know anything more about it. Could anyone tell me what it's likely to be ?

I don't want to risk the dealer telling me that my engine is about to explode so he can ramp up the cost. I'd rather be armed with at least some basic knowledge of what the cure might be before heading down there. Not too sure what the situation in the UK is but in Ireland car dealers/garages are not to be trusted. I'm afraid that appears to include Lexus dealers of which there are very few in the country so my options are limited. I did have a bad experience with this dealer in the past ( even though I originally I bought the car from them but that didn't seem to matter ) so I want to be ready.

Thanks alot !

Can you not try to locate it by starting it with the bonnet up and looking and listening under the bonnet? Check the tension of your drive belts, hopefully it's just a loose belt, but if not it may be bearing in water pump.

Hopefully its just the fan belt.....slightly :offtopic: but if Lexus dealers cant be trusted either - Is there no other place you could take your car to get serviced? For the age and mileage not sure its worth paying a premium on the servicing at a dealer?

Hopefully its just the fan belt.....slightly :offtopic: but if Lexus dealers cant be trusted either - Is there no other place you could take your car to get serviced? For the age and mileage not sure its worth paying a premium on the servicing at a dealer?

Yeah I see your point. The brief history is that when I bought the car from the Lexus dealer they were to fix a broken door lock which they claimed they had done when I picked it up. I later discovered they hadn't, when I went back to them they basically ignored me. I couldn't believe it - given that Lexus has such a good name for service. I ended up taking my case to SIMI ( Society of the Irish Motor Industry ) and they eventually sorted it out.

I do know a garage that I could take it to, in fact I think I will.

Many thanks !

• 3 weeks later...

best option is to find a friendly autoparts store (trade type) and ask for V belt dressing... or belt anti slip spray..

what you do is get someone to start the engine while you have the can ready... as it starts to squeal you spray it onto the contact side of the belt and if its just the belt then the problem should go away.

I had brand new belts fitted in april and on the coldest of days i can hear a light squeak for a little while..

Belt dressing re softens the hardened belt material and makes it grip again... i always used to use it on my supercharger belt and it worked a treat.. should cost £4-6 a can.

Best option i think at the moment.. and one can should last you a few years and a few cars!