Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hit N Run - Repsray Or Replace?

kweilo

6 weeks in - and my first prang in the car.

Left the car Friday night in Reading in private car park - came back Saturday morning to find a 6" x 6" mess of scratches (one part down to the black) on the corner of the rear bumper. Mild scratch on the light cluster too (almost wing mirror height).

Went hunting around the car park and found a car with damage on the front left, metallic silver paint parks. It was a maroon Kia (an awful POS) which conveniently matched the maroon streaks on mine. So I've got photos and what-not and reported it.

Now, my excess is £500 (to make my insurance a tad more affordable)...

If it can't be proven what do you guys think?

What would a minor repair / respray cost (roughly) - it might make might more sense to do it privately.

Oh, and anyone in Essex recommend a good bodyshop?

Yeh i'd say the same as Rabster above, if you have the pics i'd pop them into the local police station and see what they say? They might pop round and visit the owner of the car and have a word?

the only hard part is proving that car was the one that did it,and the other problem is ideally you'd need an eye witness.oh and the boy could also argue that he hit another car the same colour as yours!

do you have a chips away mobile van that goes around your area they are normally really good and not as expensive as 500!!!sorry dude but it looks like an other fkuc has got away with damaging a car and driving off!!!!!!!!!!

I feel for you, that's really not what you need. Hope the other party gets in some trouble for their dishonesty.

I got a scratch on the drivers door of my silver IS over the weekend, not what I needed after spending the best part of £500 getting the suspension repaired and being without it for a week. Luckily it was the kind that buffed out with some Scratch-X so that cheered me up a bit.

That's awful mate, someone left me a 1" scratch in my rear bumper and it pains me everytime I see it :crybaby:

I think a rear bumper respray would be around £200 so even if you needed a new light cluster it'll be under the £500 excess (plus you could find a light off eBay or a breakers if you're paying yourself). I would leave a note on the car's windscreen saying you know he hit your car, you've reported it to the police, and to prevent being prosecuted come forward and agree to settle and leave your phone number. It may have just been an old guy who didn't realise he hit you so may just agree to pay.

With regard to bodyshops, Lexus Woodford's bodyshop is excellent, quite reasonably priced too (they're in Woodford, bodyshop's in Loughton I think)

Cheers for your input guys.

I had the assessor over today from Billericay Coachworks - and because the chances of getting a pay out from the guilty party's insurance are slim, they've offered to do it privately for £200 all in. The guy seemed fairly knowledgeable (mentioning how they'll remove and spray because of the parking sensors, disconnecting everything etc) so I think I'll stump up the £200 cash and be done with it.

I'm hoping the light cluster will be sortable with a decent polish / scratch remover...

Thank heavens pay day is only a week away!

sorry to hear this mate, what car park was it as i live in Reading? and hope it gets sorted soon

The car park behind Southampton Road, just south of the flyover where The Oracle is; in theory it is private parking. No CCTV though :(

sorry to hear this mate, what car park was it as i live in Reading? and hope it gets sorted soon

The car park behind Southampton Road, just south of the flyover where The Oracle is; in theory it is private parking. No CCTV though :(

Glad they are getting it sorted for ya mate.

yeah the back streets aint to friendly round that area unfortunately, was even worse when the matrix nightclub was open! your best bet is to probably leave it in the oracle as its all well lit and secure, even though its a bit pricey its won loads of safety awards, IF you can get up the ramps with your motor, i've not tried to get up the ramps in mine just in case, Does anyone know how easy it is to get in and out of the oracle with a lowered chasis? and i wouldnt even try going in the broad street mall car park the lanes are far too narrow and you drive on the right hand side its like you need a passport to get in!!