Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Garage Build

sorted vti

evening everyone.

well for the past few months most of my weekends have been taken up with lots of work building a little dream of mine. its something ive wanted to do for years and finally its all coming together.

the measurements of the garage are about 5.5m x 9.5m plus an existing single garage on the side.

i started back in may digging out the footings. took many weeks using a digger for a week and the rest was done by hand.

DSC00221.jpg

DSC00224.jpg

DSC00225.jpg

i got very lazy for a while and things took there time. after a little kick from people it got me going and i called in help to get me started again.

footings.jpg

DSC00401.jpg

DSC00400.jpg

since the base had been completed i have had the help from my girlfriends sisters partner to do the block work and roof.

DSC00407-1.jpg

DSC00408-1.jpg

DSC00406.jpg

a couples of pictures of a wet weekend, and how no water would be stopping us now!!

DSC00410.jpg

DSC00411.jpg

DSC00412.jpg

as of last weekend we are up to the stage of having the joists on and all of the rafters cut and ready to fit.

DSC00420-1.jpg

DSC00421-1.jpg

DSC00422.jpg

we both hope to have it water tight by the end of this weekend. after this stage the build will slow down a bit due to lack of funds. the first job will be to build a stud wall and a couple of large work benches. this is quite in-expensive to do but will take quite a while to get it all right.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good work but one suggestion - when you build the roof, fit an RSJ across the centre of the garage. You can then mount a block and tackle on it to get some serious lifting power without having to mess around with engine hoists etc. Won't add much to the cost but could be very useful!

mike - its already in place, we think alike!! lol

these pics were the day before all the joists and steels were fitted.

the steel has been put across the 2 piers nearest the entrance to the garage.

its a workshop/garage. as u can see from the pic where the haden van is parked. the opening is in thru where the tarpaulin is hanging. i own the garage on the end and have knocked the back out of it so as u can drive the car thru.

when im finished il comfortably be able to open all doors on one car so as i can work on it. there will be plenty of space around the car so i can still do other stuff while a car is in there. and i also will be able to park a car in the exsisting garage u drive thru.

hopefully after this weekend il be able to get my car in it.

looks great !

one consideration might have been a drain on the floor then you can wash it inside !

remember to stick plenty of lights in, can never get enough light

how come your mate is doing all the work :lol:

actually he is the only one sitting down with a cuppa as well :P

keep us posted with updates

yeah i thought about a drain but the only waste pipes i can T into are the neighbours and id rather not do that. to be honest i probably still could wash the car in the garage and just sweep the water out the door after i have finished. tho it may get very slippy once the floor is painted. lol

yeah going to get plenty of light in there. more than i need probably. i hate dark garages.

haha, to be honest ive never done block work before. ive had a go since we've been doing this but its not as good as it could be!! plus im pretty slow at it.

Nice work, would love to do something the same, but just dont have the space :duh:

Lol Gord, i love to do the same too, I have the space, I just dont have the money... :duh: ;) :crybaby:

BTW the garage looking good matey... :)

haha. yeah the water was building up quite a bit when we had some bad rain. lol

ive got it perfect really for space. i already had an existing garage which is kind of at the bottom of my neighbours garden. theres a little cul-de-sac i drive down to get to my garage. so all ive done is knocked thru my garage and i can drive into my back garden, so i thought id put a new garage at the bottom.

cheers for the comments. sorry if ive made a few of you green. lol. its been a dream of mine for years to have a nice workshop like this. cost a fair bit to do but i can pay for that later!!! lol

il take some more pics at the weekend of it with the roof on. its a large pitched roof, so plenty of storage up there!!

if u own the single garage couldnt u have made 1 large garage/worshop instead of 2 seperate buildings??

From the pic it looks like it's a row of garages of which he owns the last one (hence he's knocked out the back of his garage).

It's coming along nicely, will be pretty cool once it's done. Did you originally have a bit of garden off to the side like that then or did you buy the end of the garden of the house in the pic?

Useful post this Neil as I'm just about to build a bigger garage/workshop, having had the plans passed 5 months ago (it's taken me this long to find a decent builder, and of course he's in demand so he couldn't start until now :angry: ). Mine will have the same floor area as yours but is 6 metres by 9 metres internal.

Thanks Bazza for the tip on the floor drain, good idea.

Did you consider an inspection pit Neil? Still debating whether to put one in or not :unsure: .

Useful post this Neil as I'm just about to build a bigger garage/workshop, having had the plans passed 5 months ago (it's taken me this long to find a decent builder, and of course he's in demand so he couldn't start until now :angry: ). Mine will have the same floor area as yours but is 6 metres by 9 metres internal.

Thanks Bazza for the tip on the floor drain, good idea.

Did you consider an inspection pit Neil? Still debating whether to put one in or not :unsure: .

I would love one of them.

Both my Dad, and Grandad had them in their Garages but filled them in a few years ago. Gutted.

yeah i only own the garage on the end so i couldnt make the whole block one building. ive got it so i drive thru my single garage into the larger building. they will be connected so u wont kind of know it was added on if you know what i mean. yeah i owned the garden in the first place which backs onto the garages which was handy.

yeah my internal size is 9.5m by 5.5m. i think its a fair size but im sure il fill it up soon. are you having a pitched roof on urs? im having one on mine, so its going to add alot more space for storage.. depending on how big it feels i might have the office up there instead of in the garage. not sure yet tho.

i did think about a pit but i wasnt really sure where to have it. ive got alot going in the garage so it may of got in the way. ive got plans of a 2m x 2m spray booth in there which folds away. im sure if i wanted to add a pit later on it wouldnt be too much of an issue. plus i dont think i could handle any more digging for a while. ive got enough dirt to deal with as it is!! lol i did look into a floor mounted ramp which goes in the ground. there not as expensive as i thought so might save for one of them!!

have you been on www.ukworkshop.co.uk tango. its not a bad site for information if your planning a build.

looking really good there fella!

I too know your pain... my new workshop has been 10 weeks in the making and cost double what i thought it would.. and this is only stage one..

hoping to have two main sections:

Section A - Car storage working area - 4 meters x 7 meters

Section B - an L shaped 6 x 6 x 3 (if that makes sense.. imagine a 6 x 3 garage with a 3x3 meter side area to make an L shape) for working on my bikes

The first 6x3 meter section has just been finished and starting work on the 3x3 section now (seperate storage and compressor / spraying room - insulated for sound and warmth)

Due to where my house is and its location from any local concrete batching plants for the bike workshop i did a suspended frame that was consists of about 150 meters of 6x2s combined with about 24+ concreted in posts.. 2 layers of 18mm osb and a layer of hardwood ply before the surface goes down.. the main structure is all metal.. wish i had made it all from wood as it was the metal workshop sections that made it take so long.

Have got an electrician coming in to run an armoured cable and a new RCD off the board.. leading to a garage consumer unit where i will have power, compressor and lighting RCD's...

Demolition was the worst phase as you well know, 3-4 weeks of getting rid of stuff.. two old sheds.. concrete bases etc etc

Will be nice when its all done though as i can start on the car workshop area at the side of the house :)

Would love to have one big workshop the size of yours though... looks like its gonna be a beauty.. cant beat bricks and mortar!

I too know your pain... my new workshop has been 10 weeks in the making and cost double what i thought it would.. and this is only stage one..

Section B - an L shaped 6 x 6 x 3 (if that makes sense.. imagine a 6 x 3 garage with a 3x3 meter side area to make an L shape) for working on my bikes

The first 6x3 meter section has just been finished and starting work on the 3x3 section now (seperate storage and compressor / spraying room - insulated for sound and warmth)

Due to where my house is and its location from any local concrete batching plants for the bike workshop i did a suspended frame that was consists of about 150 meters of 6x2s combined with about 24+ concreted in posts.. 2 layers of 18mm osb and a layer of hardwood ply before the surface goes down.. the main structure is all metal.. wish i had made it all from wood as it was the metal workshop sections that made it take so long.

Have got an electrician coming in to run an armoured cable and a new RCD off the board.. leading to a garage consumer unit where i will have power, compressor and lighting RCD's...

Demolition was the worst phase as you well know, 3-4 weeks of getting rid of stuff.. two old sheds.. concrete bases etc etc

Will be nice when its all done though as i can start on the car workshop area at the side of the house :)

Would love to have one big workshop the size of yours though... looks like its gonna be a beauty.. cant beat bricks and mortar!

Pic's would be nice Chris :D

yeah my internal size is 9.5m by 5.5m. i think its a fair size but im sure il fill it up soon. are you having a pitched roof on urs? im having one on mine, so its going to add alot more space for storage.. depending on how big it feels i might have the office up there instead of in the garage. not sure yet tho.

Don't know if it can be of use to you Neil, but here's a pic of my roof truss. There's going to be 17 of these to span the 9 metre length, so it will give me a useable room size above the garage/workshop that has a 9 metre x 3 metre footprint with storage in the eaves. The height isn't too bad as I can walk the centre section comfortably.

trussju7.jpg

have you been on www.ukworkshop.co.uk tango. its not a bad site for information if your planning a build.

Is that the right link? It's a woodworking site. :unsure:

Pic's would be nice Chris :D

SNV31623Medium.jpg

This was it prior to the doors going on, all edges are fully sealed now and the workbenches and storage is in... main RCD board is in and awaiting the lecy man to connect up.. hoping to get the floor paint in tonight/tomorrow and then move in tool chests etc..

Once that is all done i can start on the 3x3 extension at the back and right side and build the path/mini drive to the main door..

After 27 years this will be my first ever garage.... (baring my unit i had when i ran CMD).. have always had sheds before.. so im a very happy bunny that i can work in the dry!

yeah thats a similar layout to mine. what size are the joists? seems quite alot of space between each of your joists if you only have 17 joists. mine are 450mm centres. havent fitted the ashlar wall yet so there's still a bit of bounce in the floor.

all the rafters are fitted and its felt and battened. still need to build the gable end walls and felt them and build the ashlar wall. we hoped to do that last weekend but the snow and rain didnt help us at all.

yeah thats the right link. it mainly is a woodworking site but there is a section for garage/workshops.

yeah thats a similar layout to mine. what size are the joists? seems quite alot of space between each of your joists if you only have 17 joists. mine are 450mm centres. havent fitted the ashlar wall yet so there's still a bit of bounce in the floor.

I lied, there's only 16 joists :o The timber thickness is 46 mm minimum at 600mm centres, which gives a floor loading of 1900 N/m squared. May have to beef it up a bit if a certain DJ pays a visit :D , although the floorboarding should help spread the load.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links