Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fitting A Automatic Ariel

Hi all, am a new and I`st time owner of a lexus, a gs 300 to be precise, and already have a problem. I am trying to wire up a fully automatic 12v car ariel, and am presented with the problem of only 3 wires red-green-black on the ariel, but several wires coming from the antena relay box (part of the car). Can anyone give me the wiring or splicing instructions for this my I`st project.

Wires coming from the antena relay box are as follows :-

red

green

brown

black/blue

blue/red

yellow

white/black

blue/white

plus

2 thick wires...black/white and blue/black, connected to a large fuse type connector covered in heat shrink plastic.

The aerial you have has this switchgear already built in. The three wires coming out of the aerial sounds standard:

Black - ground

Red - Perm 12v

Green - Switched 12v from radio output (or ignition for it to be activated by that)

I don't have any diagrams for the GS300 but meter the relay box wires and you should find these outputs easily. (Or use a bulb connected to a couple of pieces of wire).

White with black stripe is the earth.

The aerial you have has this switchgear already built in. The three wires coming out of the aerial sounds standard:

Black - ground

Red - Perm 12v

Green - Switched 12v from radio output (or ignition for it to be activated by that)

I don't have any diagrams for the GS300 but meter the relay box wires and you should find these outputs easily. (Or use a bulb connected to a couple of pieces of wire).

Black - ground

Red - Perm 12v

Thanks for that goeffers, I am not in any way near to being a auto-electrician, and so dont understand fully your help. Do I take it I just need to use these three wires (green-black-red), and dis-regard the rest ?. What about the 2 thick wires connected to the heat shrink plastic covered fuse/relay thingy ???..

Yes mate.

I don't know what those other feeds are, I'm assuming they are control up/down batt+b, perm, motor ret. etc. as yours has these built in so yes, disregard them and make them safe.

What I do know is that you have the switchgear inside your aerial and need only those feeds. Use the largest positive feed you have that is perm +12v. I'm assuming that fused wire but double check and change the fuse for the rating of your aerial.

What year is your GS? What is wrong with the fully auto antenna that was already fitted?

Pins on the connector are as follows for a Mk1 GS (others may be the same, not sure) if measuring between the pin number and ground:

Pin # to ground Condition of switches and/or radio Result

7–Ground Constant Continuity

3–Ground Constant Battery positive voltage

8–Ground Ignition switch ACC or ON Battery positive voltage

8–Ground Ignition switch LOCK No voltage

6–Ground Ignition switch ON Battery positive voltage

6–Ground Ignition switch ACC or LOCK No voltage

2–Ground Ignition switch ACC or ON and Radio or Tape or CD switch ON Battery positive voltage

2–Ground Ignition switch ACC or ON and Radio or Tape or CD switch OFF No voltage

5–Ground Ignition switch ACC or ON and Radio switch ON Battery positive voltage

5–Ground Ignition switch ACC or ON and Radio switch OFF No voltage

4–Ground Ignition switch ACC or ON and Radio switch ON (AM or FM (87.9–96.0 MHz)) Battery positive voltage

4–Ground Ignition switch ACC or ON and Radio switch ON (Except AM or FM(87.9–96.0 MHz)) No voltage

1–Ground Ignition switch ACC or ON and Radio switch ON (AM) Battery positive voltage

1–Ground Ignition switch ACC or ON and Radio switch ON (Except AM) No Voltage

Hope that helps

What year is your GS? What is wrong with the fully auto antenna that was already fitted?

Pins on the connector are as follows for a Mk1 GS (others may be the same, not sure) if measuring between the pin number and ground:

2–Ground Ignition switch ACC or ON and Radio or Tape or CD switch ON Battery positive voltage

2–Ground Ignition switch ACC or ON and Radio or Tape or CD switch OFF No voltage

4–Ground Ignition switch ACC or ON and Radio switch ON (AM or FM (87.9–96.0 MHz)) Battery positive voltage

4–Ground Ignition switch ACC or ON and Radio switch ON (Except AM or FM(87.9–96.0 MHz)) No voltage

1–Ground Ignition switch ACC or ON and Radio switch ON (AM) Battery positive voltage

Hope that helps

my lexus gs300 is a "p" reg. I just bought the car and the previous owner had already installed the ariel, but had not got around to the wiring, and I have just realised that all the wiring block is part of the old ariel. The new ariel fitted in the boot has just 2 wires coming from it, red (i think this is the 12v constant), and green (12v switched live from radio), also there is a black wire which has been screwed into the bodywork.

The wiring connector from the cars wiring loom for the original ariel has 7 wires, they are blue/yellow ( which I believe connects to the red(12v constant), red/blue (which I believe connects to the 12v switched supply from radio), this I have learned from researching the net. the other colours are white/black,yellow,brown, blue/black, and blue. Am I right in saying that I need to connect one of these other wires to the earth(ground) on th new ariel, and if so can you tell me what colour would be the earth.

Hope that helps

Didn't you say the Aerial already has its own ground screwed to the body work? If so then no - you just need those positive signals - Perm + switched

Double check those colours first though as they sometimes change between versions of the same car (They do on the IS series)

Sorry for adding new reply`s, am new to forums and did try several times to add to original reply, without success. Seem to have cracked it this time, dont know what I was doing wrong.

Apolagies all round.

Thanks to Tigerfish & goeffers for all ur help. Still not 100 % as to what to do, but am thinking from all I have read that I should just need attach the red and green to the 2 12v feeds and that should be enough to make the ariel go up and down !. Am I right in saying that I dont need to use an earth as ablack earth lead from the installed ariel is attached to the bodywork?. If I do need to use an earth lead then am not sure what lead is earth, I thought brown would have been earth, however have been told contradicting info, from black, black with a white stripe to brown.

Sorry for adding new reply`s, am new to forums and did try several times to add to original reply, without success. Seem to have cracked it this time, dont know what I was doing wrong.

Apolagies all round.

Thanks to Tigerfish & goeffers for all ur help. Still not 100 % as to what to do, but am thinking from all I have read that I should just need attach the red and green to the 2 12v feeds and that should be enough to make the ariel go up and down !. Am I right in saying that I dont need to use an earth as ablack earth lead from the installed ariel is attached to the bodywork?. If I do need to use an earth lead then am not sure what lead is earth, I thought brown would have been earth, however have been told contradicting info, from black, black with a white stripe to brown.

You are correct, and as geoffers mentioned, if the earth lead of the new antenna is screwed to the car bodywork then there is no need to connect the earth to the wiring loom earth. I looked on my wiring diagrams and the colours it lists for the vehicle wiring was different to what you listed above, so I cannot really help with which colours are what. Pin 7 on the plug (assuming it hasn't been cut off) was the earth lead if you still want to find it. Is yours a Mk1 GS (like mine in my sig pictures)? If it is, I'll pull the carpet out later and double check the colours on my loom. Based on what I replied earlier with pin numbers, you would want the permanent feed of your aerial connected to pin 3, and the switched 12v of your aerial connected to pin 8.

If I'm honest, I would maybe try and get a genuine aerial from a breakers yard or something. Would be much easier just to plug it in. And you would get the additional features like how the aerial extends/retracts slightly, dependent on frequency range the radio is tuned in to, for optimum reception.

Thanks for that, Tigerfish, my v5 (log Book) just has gs300 on it, and the date of registration is august 1996, apart from that I dont knw if it is a mk1 .

I am going to try and perservere with this ariel just now. From what I have ascertained so far the blue/yellow wire from the loom connector in the boot left hand side which is a white block is the 12v constant feed and this connects to the red wire on the ariel, and there is a red/blue wire which is the 12v on off feed from the radio which I have been told connects to the green wire on the ariel.

The other 5 wires as I mentioned earlier are I assume not relevant and can be blanked off, this should be enough to make the ariel go up and down as the radio is switched on and off, I hope.

Do you agree !!.

Yea, you should be able to get it to work pretty easily. It is of course much easier if you have a multimeter or a circuit tester of some sort (even just a bulb with flyleads on it). At least then you can easily test when 12 volts is there and when it isn't.

p.s. Aug 96 would be a mk1, like mine in my sig.