Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Data Cable?

kenmac

A long shot I know but do we have anyone on here that might have an idea about some drums of cable I have come across,it's BELDEN DATA CABLE 4PR. 23AWG, IBDN GIGAFLEX 4824LX, LSOH CAT6+ :huh::unsure:

Your right Steve found out that this is the cable that the new Westfields Shopping Mall (west London) which is where I came across it, have used for the CCTV and Internet and anything else needing a digital signal.

Any IT guys out there that could use 2500ft of it? if not I'll sling it in the bin.

im looking to network my house at christmas.. was gonna use cat 5e and run a gigabit nework.. but cat 6 sounds iteresting..

Am having two 12 port switches running off a Linksys N rated router.. everything and i mean everything will be connected... even the workshop!

CEF... they certainly are not cheap.. lol

went in there for a reel of 305 meter cat 5 e and they wanted £89+ vat

Popped into screwfix next door.. £55 for the same thing inc vat

im looking to network my house at christmas.. was gonna use cat 5e and run a gigabit nework.. but cat 6 sounds iteresting..

Am having two 12 port switches running off a Linksys N rated router.. everything and i mean everything will be connected... even the workshop!

Use the Cat6 if you can. Cat5e gigbit doesn't lend itself to the noisy mains environment of a house. It will drop down a renegotiate a lot. There will be loads of crc errors too.

It will still be fast mind, just experience has shown me you will lose a lot. I'll see if I can dig out some Fluke reports.

Open to offers or will be the skip tonight.

Well i had £60 put to the side for the cat5e... would be about a 120 mile round trip too....

Would the drums fit in my GS300?

Use the Cat6 if you can. Cat5e gigbit doesn't lend itself to the noisy mains environment of a house. It will drop down a renegotiate a lot. There will be loads of crc errors too.

It will still be fast mind, just experience has shown me you will lose a lot. I'll see if I can dig out some Fluke reports.

Nice one mr geoffers... spoke to a few bods that said i wouldnt need cat6... but it is what i really wanna use..

if the price is right..

What, in physical terms, is the difference? I know what the user-relevant specs are (eg various data rates etc) but not *why* CAT6 is capable of a faster data rate. Is the copper thicker? Is there more shielding? Tighter twists on the pairs? etc etc... anyone know?

its separated by a X style piece in the cable cover, separating the twisted pairs apart into the 4 compartments..

I think this helps with stopping data crossover and the cost of flexibility...

its separated by a X style piece in the cable cover, separating the twisted pairs apart into the 4 compartments..

I think this helps with stopping data crossover and the cost of flexibility...

Ah OK, yes that makes sense. Cheers...