Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Removing Front Bumper

I think that my headlamp washer problem has got to the stage where I need to remove the front bumper and try and see if I can see what's going on with the pipes etc.

I've looked in the online workshop manual and can't find any instructions there on how to do it. Similarly I can't find anything in the Workshop section of the forums, or the knowledge base.

Can someone please help me out with some instructions for this, or point me to somewhere that there are some instructions (e.g. if I missed it in the online manual) ?

I think that my headlamp washer problem has got to the stage where I need to remove the front bumper and try and see if I can see what's going on with the pipes etc.

I've looked in the online workshop manual and can't find any instructions there on how to do it. Similarly I can't find anything in the Workshop section of the forums, or the knowledge base.

Can someone please help me out with some instructions for this, or point me to somewhere that there are some instructions (e.g. if I missed it in the online manual) ?

Will be taking of my front bumper today so I'll give you a shout tomorrow after its done,unless someone else says how to before hand mate.

veryeasy to do.

turn 1 wheel inwards and remove push studs from arch liner

peel back lower part of liner disconnect fog lights and look for 1 screw holding bumber to bodywork in the upper rearwards corner of bumper.

underneath car is a row of bolts and also just infront of the wheels there are the brackets that hang down.

remove central screw from top of grille

remove bumber and disconnect the headlight washer tube system - water will pour out.

best to have a mate help u.

i am 100% sure i wrote a detailed guide with pics ages ago.

u have missed it on the online manual also

EDIT : I HAVE A LINK IN THE WORKSHOP SECTION WITH SOME PHOTOS

Thanks guys. Rob, your posting on this is still in the workshop section, but the link to the pics etc is broken.

I looked pretty hard for it in the online manual but couldn't find it. I've had this problem before, often the removal instructions don't seem to be in the logical place (e.g. they're not in the front bumper section), they're somewhere else where the item needs removing.

I seem to remember from JAE that this looked like a two-person job.

Thanks guys. Rob, your posting on this is still in the workshop section, but the link to the pics etc is broken.

I looked pretty hard for it in the online manual but couldn't find it. I've had this problem before, often the removal instructions don't seem to be in the logical place (e.g. they're not in the front bumper section), they're somewhere else where the item needs removing.

I seem to remember from JAE that this looked like a two-person job.

click the link in the post below mine ( in workshop section) its the same as i linked to.

2 people is ideal but i have removed my bumper many time on my own - hint put a thick blanket under the car so u can rest the bumper on it without scratching it - the blanket will get wet unless u get rid of the water in the washer tank first.

Thanks. Yeah I thought of putting something underneath to try and protect the bumper. I need to keep the water in the tank because I want to try and figure out what's going on. I'm actually half expecting no water to come out when I remove the washers (do I just pull the tubes out of the washer heads ?) because of the problem I've got there.

I presume I need to jack the front of the car up in order to make things easier to get to ?

no need to jack anything all is within easy reach - there is a disconnect point on the LH side of the car for the washer tubes but may i suggest u get a mate and 2 milk crates to rest the bumper on so u can see whats happening.

i assume u have checkaed all fuses etc?

no need to jack anything all is within easy reach - there is a disconnect point on the LH side of the car for the washer tubes but may i suggest u get a mate and 2 milk crates to rest the bumper on so u can see whats happening.

i assume u have checkaed all fuses etc?

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit stupid, but how do you mean to rest the bumper on ? Can I perhaps just disconnect one side of the bumper and not the other and still get to the tubes ?

Regarding the fuses, no actually I haven't, but when I press the button I can hear the motor going, so I don't think it's an electrical problem - see my main thread on this.

i mean if u disconnect the tubes then the system wount work as it is meant to so u may not see the fault - if the bumber is removed from the car slightly but with the tubes still connected u would have to rest or support it on something.

oh i had look thru the workshop manual i cant find the bumper removal either - i am sure i hav seen it before.

i mean if u disconnect the tubes then the system wount work as it is meant to so u may not see the fault - if the bumber is removed from the car slightly but with the tubes still connected u would have to rest or support it on something.

ok, yep, gotcha, thanks. If I disconnect the tubes then if water comes pouring out at least I'll know the tubes aren't blocked. But as you say it might be interesting to try and operate it with the bumper partially off but the tubes still in place.