Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Number Plate Laws

hiya guys, im buying a number plate this week C17 RKP. im going to get the plates made up to show C17RK P (my name is phil clarke so it kinda works)

i know its not allowed but what are the implications of this. is it points or fines or worse?

cheers

I think it's a £30 fine for first offence, but if you don't change after that and get caught again not sure what the consequences are.

It really depends, down here in London so many people do it and I don't think the police care, but I've read a few people on here having been stopped for it........

I got stopped on the M1 and given a producer for having the spacing wrong on the old plate - it was reading L3X xx instead of L3 Xxx - it's all down to you really, if you want to risk it go for it, if you want a nice quiet life without risking being stopped and fined just leave it as is.

You will get the official blurb in the documentation DVLA send you with your number plate certificate......think the max is 1000 fine plus they can take the plate off you .....although I'm not sure how many times / if ever this has actually happened.

Car will fail MOT with illegal plates on....

Hiya

I have been tugged twice in the past 5 years for my plate.

Both times ive had to put the properly spaced plates on and take the car to a testing station and get the ticket stamped, as well as paying a £30 fixed penalty.

Plate should read N111 OSS

I have it reading N 111OSS (my name is N MOSS)

Hampshire police sometimes have a blitz on plates -------- suppose I have been lucky over the years.

see i can understand the legal issues wityh changing letters. its harder for the police to see who you are and if someone steals your car, you want them to be able to find it. But i have never understood spacing, they still read out the letters the same way so whats the issue?

It all comes down to the individual police unit if they decide to pull you over or not, yes it will be spaced illegally but you may not get stopped but you might???

:offtopic: @ Mossyn, another member from Southampton :) How come i never see you driving about, there doesn't seem to be many members down this way :unsure:

Jason :P

I dont really think the police seem that bothered about bad spacing on a Lexus, they seem to mostly clamp down on boy racers. I've been running my private plate as H5DAS on my IS200 and never been pulled, however my mate has an RS Turbo and got pulled and a £30 fine for having a Ford badge in the corner on his plate instead of a GB sign!

You will get the official blurb in the documentation DVLA send you with your number plate certificate......think the max is 1000 fine plus they can take the plate off you .....although I'm not sure how many times / if ever this has actually happened.

Car will fail MOT with illegal plates on....

When you purchase cherished transfer/private reg. no., you never actually own the number. You own the right to display it. If you fail to display it in the correct manner, DVLA can take it from you with recompense. This usually happens when DVLA are informed by the police.

I think your plate is very good, i just received my V750/1 form for my new plate this morning, have to travel to Glasgow ( 20 miles ) on Monday, nearest office. My wife bought it for my Xmas, a wee early present :D my plate reads, T2MYY what do you think ?

also does any one think C17RK P is any good. considering im phil clarke??

some people think its brilliant but others say its pants? any opinions?

sorry cant really see it...dyslexia suffers may see it differently however but seeing as i didnt turn up at a toga party dressed as a goat i guess that doesnt apply to me.

as for the TIMMY one ..yeah can just about see that .... :winky:

sorry cant really see it...dyslexia suffers may see it differently however but seeing as i didnt turn up at a toga party dressed as a goat i guess that doesnt apply to me.

TIMMY ? :angry: hope you are joking :blush:

TIMMY ? :angry: hope you are joking :blush:

TIM is a popular name 'down sarf'....whats the problem :tomato:

(ps- yes i was joking :lol: )