Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lambda Senser Wiring

colinRA

Hello everybody.

I am the proud owner of a GS300 Legato 1997 model.

I have a problem with emmissions control.The lambda senser wiring,terminating in a grey socket with 4

wires is not connected to anything,nor is there anything in the engine bay it can connect to.It seems that

I have some wiring missing.Does anyone know what the Lambda should connect to?Assistance appreciated.

I have a CD rom manual but although I accessed it once I can't get it to run again so without printed

info.available I'm stuck.

Regards Colin

Which location are you looking? There are three lambda sensors, two in the engine bay, and one under the car (in the drivers seat area).

Thanks for rapid response.The lambda in question is the one on the exhaust downpipe.

Lead just lies there not connected and there is definitely no other wiring it coulc connect to.

Colin

Just to confirm, there are two on the manifold up in the engine bay, and one where the exhaust has all joined into one. If the one you are referring to is the one where the exhaust has joined into a single pipe, the wiring should be coming out from a gromet in the floor of the car. If someone has chopped it or pulled it back into the car, you need to pull the carpet up in the drivers foot well to retrieve it.

If you are talking about one of the two in the engine bay (on the manifold), I can take some pics of mine tomorrow if you need so that you can get an idea where the wiring should be coming from.

Just to confirm, there are two on the manifold up in the engine bay, and one where the exhaust has all joined into one. If the one you are referring to is the one where the exhaust has joined into a single pipe, the wiring should be coming out from a gromet in the floor of the car. If someone has chopped it or pulled it back into the car, you need to pull the carpet up in the drivers foot well to retrieve it.

If you are talking about one of the two in the engine bay (on the manifold), I can take some pics of mine tomorrow if you need so that you can get an idea where the wiring should be coming from.

Hello again.Yes, the one I have looked at is the one after the exhaust manifold has collected into a single pipe.

I will look for the wiring from the drivers footwell.

I haven't located the other two so I will try to find those too.Thanks for your help.If I need a picture I will get back

to you.

Thanks, Colin

No problem, let us know how you get on.

Hello Tigerfish,

I've been under the car now and seen the senser under the drivers footwell.It does have its wire emerging through a grommet so that ones OK. The one I am troubled with is on the pipe that has the three rear cylinders running into it and seen from above in the engine bay.

There is another wire with socket that is unatached.A single wire about the area of the distributer emerging from the loom.

Yet another small wire is unattached that along with the others I have photographed.If you would email me I will send the images to you.Thanks for taking the time to help me. Email: colinrarcher@hotmail.com

Thanks, Colin.

Could be a O2 simulator fitted for a decat section that may once have been on the car or still is?

Is there any extra wires in the ECU?

And welcome

Stav

Hi Stav,

The system seems to have its cat in place(I think).I cannot find any wiring into which this Lambda could plug,and I have

really searched.The lambda wiring section is quite short so it appears that another wiring section is absent.

Thanks, Colin.

Hello Tigerfish,

I've been under the car now and seen the senser under the drivers footwell.It does have its wire emerging through a grommet so that ones OK. The one I am troubled with is on the pipe that has the three rear cylinders running into it and seen from above in the engine bay.

There is another wire with socket that is unatached.A single wire about the area of the distributer emerging from the loom.

Yet another small wire is unattached that along with the others I have photographed.If you would email me I will send the images to you.Thanks for taking the time to help me. Email: colinrarcher@hotmail.com

Thanks, Colin.

P.S. Should there be a lambda on the front three cylinder manifold.I have a bolt filling a hole but no senser?

Hello Tigerfish,

Thanks, Colin.

P.S. Should there be a lambda on the front three cylinder manifold.I have a bolt filling a hole but no senser?

Yes mate, there should be a sensor where you have a bolt fitted.

Hello mate, I got the pics you sent. I'm having problems with sending email at the mo so will have to reply here.

First impressions is that the connector you have found (the grey one) is infact the connector for your sensor, however, it looks like someone has bought a replacement sensor but got the wrong one. There are 4 wire, 2 wire and I think also single wire ones. Mine has 4 wire types, but I know others that have ones like yours on similar aged cars. The other connector you are pointing to looks like the other sensor wire that has had the factory plug cut off so that it can be connected to an after market universal sensor.

I have done a couple of pics of my wiring but I am about to head out the door so will post/send them to you later tonight.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Hello mate, I got the pics you sent. I'm having problems with sending email at the mo so will have to reply here.

First impressions is that the connector you have found (the grey one) is infact the connector for your sensor, however, it looks like someone has bought a replacement sensor but got the wrong one. There are 4 wire, 2 wire and I think also single wire ones. Mine has 4 wire types, but I know others that have ones like yours on similar aged cars. The other connector you are pointing to looks like the other sensor wire that has had the factory plug cut off so that it can be connected to an after market universal sensor.

I have done a couple of pics of my wiring but I am about to head out the door so will post/send them to you later tonight.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Hi, Look forward to seeing your wiring later,thanks. Actually the sensor in the rear manifold is a four wire type.

I have shown another single wire with grey connector that comes out of the loom near the distributor.No idea what that might be.The third little wire with brass push-on end in near the offside of the engine bay near the wing.

Cheers Colin.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Hi, Look forward to seeing your wiring later,thanks. Actually the sensor in the rear manifold is a four wire type.

I have shown another single wire with grey connector that comes out of the loom near the distributor.No idea what that might be.The third little wire with brass push-on end in near the offside of the engine bay near the wing.

Cheers Colin.

That what I am saying mate, looks like you have a four wire sensor on the manifold, when it should be a single wire one that fits the type of plug you are seeing. I believe the the connector you are talking about near the discributor is the connector for the rear sensor. The other wire with the brass push on end is most likely where the other sensor (the missing sensor plugged with a bolt) has been cut off to splice it onto a universal type sensor. I will upload my pics later which may help clear things up a little.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Cheers Colin.

That what I am saying mate, looks like you have a four wire sensor on the manifold, when it should be a single wire one that fits the type of plug you are seeing. I believe the the connector you are talking about near the discributor is the connector for the rear sensor. The other wire with the brass push on end is most likely where the other sensor (the missing sensor plugged with a bolt) has been cut off to splice it onto a universal type sensor. I will upload my pics later which may help clear things up a little.

Hello Tigerfish,

Really could use a glimpse under your bonnet.I finally got the CD-rom to go for wiring diagrams.It shows the two manifold

sensors as 4 wire type but doesn't show where they connect to,so not much help.I'm stumped!

Thanks Colin

Hope that helps

Cheers

Cheers Colin.

Hello Tigerfish,

Really could use a glimpse under your bonnet.I finally got the CD-rom to go for wiring diagrams.It shows the two manifold

sensors as 4 wire type but doesn't show where they connect to,so not much help.I'm stumped!

Thanks Colin

I'll try and upload them today mate. Don't be too concerned if the CD Rom shows four wire sensors, and you have single wire ones. I've had this discussion before with someone on here (I'll try and find the thread) and they did not have four wire sensors on their 96 Mk1.

This is the thread I mentioned

clicky

Thanks,I've read right through that thread now.I look forward to seeing where these manifold sensors

connect to so I can really dig about in the right area to find my missing electrics.Just to reaffirm my engine

is 2JZ-GE.

Thanks Colin.

The sensor wiring can still be different mate.

Hope these pics help

post-184-12281478770.jpg

post-184-12281478771.jpg

post-184-12281478990.jpg

post-184-12281478991.jpg

Hi, Yes thanks.ENORMOUSE help.As you suggested right at the start the single wire with grey connector is for the rear sensor.The

4wire one in my manifold has been installed in error.

The wiring for the front sensor is very likely the little brass ended wire I pointed at as this seems to emerge from the same part

of the loom as your front sensor.Not exactly but very near.As you also suggested very early on that has probably been

tampered with.

My next step is to get 1 wire sensors and install them one at a time to see what happens.

I'll post my experiences when I get it done.Thanks for your time and trouble,

Colin.