Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dismayed By Rattles And Creaks

Sorry to start a new thread but the other main rattles thread is so long now that people have given up replying to it.

The rattles in my 2008 IS250 are getting an absolute nightmare.

At first it was pretty much rattle free (I'm sure it was anyway) but there are so many little annoying rattles and creaks it is totally ruining the driving experience.

The first rattle I noticed was from the passenger seatbelt housing. I know for a fact it is inside the housing where the seatbelt goes in.

It went into the dealer to fix but was never fixed and they never rang me back to ask if all ok.

It's got much worse since then....

On an good surface all is ok but if the car goes over a minor bump in the road I get the following....

1. A plasticky creaking sound from the centre console area.

2. A loud creak from right next to my right ear in the seatbelt housing area).

3. Rattles and creaks from the passenger seatbelt housing.

That's basically it but the rattle are so pronounced it's like driving a Transit van.

Cruising on the motorway is fine but as soon as it hits a small bump then I get a cacophany of creaks and rattles.

On a generally uneven road surface the rattling is a complete nightmare !

I totally understand that the car is going to make creaks and rattles if driving over a cobbled street but to make these annoying sound when merely going over a slight bump is not on.

The worse noise is the one to my right ear. I've tried everything to find out what it is. I've jammed cardboard in the housing and even removed the grab rail because I thought that was what it was.

I'm dismayed by these rattles as I've spent over £30k for this car and I specifically wanted stock 17" alloys and non-sports suspension.

Trouble is I don't really have much confidence in Lexus Stockport so is there anyone at Lexus that will listen and help ?

These rattles and creaks are ruining a great car for me :crybaby:

That sounds really bad mate, it's a bit disappointing to hear as I thought they'd fixed the problems with later cars (the 08 plate IS250 I had as a courtesy car a short while back was whisper quiet)

I would definitely try another dealer, none of those sound like new rattles so I'm sure someone on here must have had solutions for these.

I totally understand that the car is going to make creaks and rattles if driving over a cobbled street but to make these annoying sound when merely going over a slight bump is not on.

I don't actually agree, my 6 year old IS200 still has no rattles on any surface (except one in the roof which I know is a loose sunroof cable but haven't bothered to sort it)

if you read my earlier posts on the thread you mentioned, i have the same rattle from the seat belt by my ear, it drives you mad because you no its there you listen for it more, there have been days when i feel like smashing the bloody thing with an hammer it really gets my goat, i have given up complaining and just cant be arsed with it no more, i find the best thing to do is turn the volume up.

i think jambo had the same rattle dont no if he got it sorted?

Sorry to start a new thread but the other main rattles thread is so long now that people have given up replying to it.

The rattles in my 2008 IS250 are getting an absolute nightmare.

At first it was pretty much rattle free (I'm sure it was anyway) but there are so many little annoying rattles and creaks it is totally ruining the driving experience.

The first rattle I noticed was from the passenger seatbelt housing. I know for a fact it is inside the housing where the seatbelt goes in.

It went into the dealer to fix but was never fixed and they never rang me back to ask if all ok.

It's got much worse since then....

On an good surface all is ok but if the car goes over a minor bump in the road I get the following....

1. A plasticky creaking sound from the centre console area.

2. A loud creak from right next to my right ear in the seatbelt housing area).

3. Rattles and creaks from the passenger seatbelt housing.

That's basically it but the rattle are so pronounced it's like driving a Transit van.

Cruising on the motorway is fine but as soon as it hits a small bump then I get a cacophany of creaks and rattles.

On a generally uneven road surface the rattling is a complete nightmare !

The worse noise is the one to my right ear. I've tried everything to find out what it is. I've jammed cardboard in the housing and even removed the grab rail because I thought that was what it was.

I'm dismayed by these rattles as I've spent over £30k for this car and I specifically wanted stock 17" alloys and non-sports suspension.

Trouble is I don't really have much confidence in Lexus Stockport so is there anyone at Lexus that will listen and help ?

These rattles and creaks are ruining a great car for me :crybaby:

show the dealer that you are serious,write to them by recorded deliverythis will alert them to the fact that you are starting to put a case together,also ask them to reply in writing.i have done this before with good results.

rattles are a nightmare....you know the only way they can attempt to fix them is to take things apart. When that happens you know your car is never going to be the same again..pulling out a whole dash in a new vehicle may cure the problem but you are left with that feeling that your pride and joy has been in bits and it does something to you...

Theres also the feeling that these things were put together on multi million pound purpose built production lines yet some apprentice may be unscrewing your virginal dash/ panels whatever and later creating more grief down the line.

This is a real Issue that Lexus need to look at and the only way for them to take notice is for people to make representations, however I know how sole destroying it is to keep returning your car.

My recent vehicles include a new Mazda6 and a 6 month old vectra...neither rattled..my 5 year old IS200 doesnt rattle and at work i drive a cheapo chevrolet lacceti (tog gear -star in a reasonably priced car) and that doesnt rattle.

I also drive a fiat van and that does rattle :whistling: ...

It would be interesting to know what percentage of the 220/250/300/350/ISF production actually suffers from the rattle syndrome. There must be quite a few of us, possibly the majority, that have not had any rattle issues with the car. Mine was one of the first production batches in 2005 and I've not had any rattling anywhere, and still prefer to drive with the ML system off most of the time in order to enjoy the whisper quiet of the interior. :innocent:

Take the Technician on a road-test @ the Garage of your choice & they should easily be able to solve it---------remember nearly ALL 55 plate IS250's were

recalled for front seat-belt renewals & there was no issues to my knowledge of post repair creaks & rattles.

As for your Centre Console they can easily remount it IF necessary using a rubber/silicone grease if required as this, too, was an early issue.

Tel

No complaints from my 2008 IS yet. Only noticeable unexpected sound comes once per drive (on average) from a large plastic creek from the centre of the dash. Sound like the plastic expanding, but only once per long journey, so not really something to complain about.

• 2 weeks later...

why don't you just pull the headunit out and have a look see? Takes me about 4-5 mins to remove it now. Admittedly I haven't had mine that long, only 2-3 weeks but so far so good. I guess not all cars are built equally and if the rattles are that annoying best have a rant at the Lexus dealer

add mr to the list of rattle suffering owners! mine comes i think from behind the mm screen and after gradualy getting worse is now not so slight a rattle. i may even start not wearing my seat belt as the sound of the belt alarm has to be less anoying???

No complaints from my 2008 IS yet. Only noticeable unexpected sound comes once per drive (on average) from a large plastic creek from the centre of the dash. Sound like the plastic expanding, but only once per long journey, so not really something to complain about.

I have that same creak. It happens as the car warms up.

The only other creak, is from the lense of the light on the underside of the interior of the drivers door. It can be heard on almost every bump and pothole.

Are interior noises covered under the warranty?

Have any of you had this creak and been able to fix it?

Do you have a specific problem with Lexus Stockport? I was thinking of using them for my next service and to fix any problems with my car, I'd be interested to read any comments you have about them.

Do you have a specific problem with Lexus Stockport? I was thinking of using them for my next service and to fix any problems with my car, I'd be interested to read any comments you have about them.

As you are probably aware Stockport along with Lexus Manchester and Lexus Bolton are owned by RRG, a large motor group selling other brands as well. Could you make it to Lexus Chester? A pal of mine like GaryC hasn't much confidence either, travels to Chester from Yorkshire, says they are the best!

• 1 month later...

The rattles are getting worse and the car is going in soon. The problem I have is that they'll just say "oh we'll have a look at it" and some 20 year old kid will start prodding and poking all over the car and the rattles won't get fixed.

The following are the rattling sounds now coming from the car when going over uneven ground and bumps....

1. Both seatbelt housing creaks.

2. Centre console various creaks and crack (one is from the cigarette lighter sliding cover and I'm convinced the other is from the plastic casing around the gaer stick.

3. Rattle from behind steering wheel (intermittent and loud).

4. Plastic creaking noise in nav screen area.

Ok I know people will say take the car in but what will they do ?

The car is rubbish. £34k for rubbish.

Oh and the brakes squeal when I park up (one of the neighbours curtains twitched when I arrived home one night).

The car is a pile of rubbish and I have no confidence Lexus will be able to fix it - they couldn't fix one rattle that it went in for at the start.

sorry mate no exactly how you are feeling, i have a 07 plate fiesta cost £5600 which has less rattles than my 220D

My mate has a 56 reg Avensis and it is quiet and doesn't rattle. Just a nice muted thud when going over bumps.

I forgot to say that when they gave me my car back after it went in to have the passenger side seatbelt housing rattle it came back with exactly the same rattle and grubby finger marks around the housing. Pretty disgusting and they never gave me a courtesy call to ask if I was happy with the work.

I think they just hope I don't contact them again.

Ok I've not given Lexus a chance to fix these rattles yet but I'll be contacting customer service tomorrow.

you get to a point when you think i just cant be arsed anymore, which is a shame because lexus are loseing out on a repeat sale

This is my third Lexus and probably my last. Do Lexus care ? Probably not.

GaryC - feel it for you - it was for these exact reasons I left the marque, and probably wouldn't buy another.

I think ultimately that there are some cars out there (mine being one) which will take some sorting to make them right. Friday afternoon cars and all that...

The service manager of my local dealership rang and said he was sorry I was not happy with the car. We have arranged to drop it in on the 20th Jan for three days and he says he will get every clip in the car checked and use felt/silicon sealant wherever possible to ensure a rattle free car. Sounds promising. He was extremely helpful and my faith has somewhat been restored in Lexus. I mentioned the past patchy service and he agreed it was really not on.

Gary, just a thought, do the seatbelt rattles still persist evan if you adjust the height? We had seat belt rattles on the wife's 807 which were fixed by playing around with the height adjustment.