Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 - Is It A Quick Car

Hi Guy's,

I'm new to this website!! I'm presuming this is the best place to be regarding my question!....... i need info becuase i'm considering buying an is200.. ive neither been in one nor test drove 1 thats why i have to ask.

Are these car's any fast off the mark? do they feel sluggish atall, you know with the weight of the car and what not!!

Intrested in what people will say about this!

Cheers ;)

Hi Guy's,

I'm new to this website!! I'm presuming this is the best place to be regarding my question!....... i need info becuase i'm considering buying an is200.. ive neither been in one nor test drove 1 thats why i have to ask.

Are these car's any fast off the mark? do they feel sluggish atall, you know with the weight of the car and what not!!

Cheers ;)

If your looking for a quick car this is not the one for you I'm afraid :(

if you like it smoooooth this is for you, if you want smoooooooth & powerful,

buy a supercharged one or an IS300

I haven't been in SuperCharged IS or a IS300 but I have to say they are slow cars. I think all will agree if there being honest, it certainly has been built for speed or acceleration. It has many other qualitys, of course it depends what your changing from, if you want to spend on a supercharger I'd have to say either spy a bargain or just buy a faster car at the start.

But his question was are IS200 quick and they are not. :(

you won't believe 0-62 is probably the same lol do a google ;)

I came from a 1.2 16v Clio an yes it feels alot quicker, but at the end of the day it's not a quick car. Do you want a family sized saloon car? What makes you want the Lex? There are so many faster hatch backs which I will be looking at again soon but of course there are many faster larger cars out there to, not trying to put off. But best to always try anyway :D

As for the list of mods, not sure on the cams. But the rest won't add much, just make it sound brillant. You'd probably want a supercharger :P

Apologies it appears the fiesta 1.4's are coming up around the 12sec mark, even the Lex is quicker than that. At last someone to beat hehe.. :P

I'm currently looking at a Renult Twingo 1.2 GT pushing100bhp and there doing 0-62 same speed as the Lex which is why I thought most small cars would be quicker ;)

Wozza adding the supercharger is cheating, it's like saying Sams turbo IS was quick :P adding similar parts to other cars would therefore make them quicker & probably quicker than the IS again ;)

It's nothing to do with cheating at all, u can buy a merc c180 with a blower or without one....

If he wants fast as well as smooth (bearing in mind he hasn't bought one yet) then buy either an

IS200 S/C or an IS300. Still better quality than a BMW or Merc IMO for similar sort money.

i haven't brought it yet!!!

i have a dr10 on my licence so no 1 will touch me insurance wise.... i know it's not no supercar like!!

I think it's simply the look of the car that does it for me! and all the extra's and that.... the engines are nice and big!! surprised they are really as slow as what you have all been saying

how much are superchargers? inc fitting costs

Hi Guy's,

Cheers ;)

Wozza adding the supercharger is cheating, it's like saying Sams turbo IS was quick :P adding similar parts to other cars would therefore make them quicker & probably quicker than the IS again ;)

It's nothing to do with cheating at all, u can buy a merc c180 with a blower or without one....

If he wants fast as well as smooth (bearing in mind he hasn't bought one yet) then buy either an

IS200 S/C or an IS300. Still better quality than a BMW or Merc IMO for similar sort money.

Yes but you can't buy one of these from Lexus with a SC can you there aftermarket sourced?

Mersyside07 I'd suggest making a list of the cars you want & just testing them all I think you'll find the Lex is one of slower, there are so many faster cars you can pick in standard. You can add a SC as suggested or take that money an buy a quicker stock car, or buy stock car an mod that to be quicker. These are not built for speed & dont let the sport bit fool you there the same power etc as the other specs :D

There's a endless list of faster cars so I wont bore you with one, it will come down to you what you want from it etc.

I think it's simply the look of the car that does it for me! and all the extra's and that.... the engines are nice and big!! surprised they are really as slow as what you have all been saying

Whether you class it as "slow" depends on what you're comparing it too really. I wouldn't call a standard IS200 "fast", but I certainly wouldn't call it "sluggish" either. I agree that the looks of the IS200 are amazing, it's very nice inside, lots of extras, handles well, is very smooth and is easy to look after. The engine seems more to have been designed to be a smooth cruiser rather than being a rocket ship.

You may find a few supercharged cars second-hand, but you need to check if they've been looked after properly (e.g. there is a very nice supercharged car on sale from a club member at the moment !). Lexus used to sell a supercharger kit but it was very expensive. They come up from time to time second-hand for around £2k, and are very easy to fit (the kit was designed as an easy add-on).

Take the 2k that you'd spend on a SC & use it for the insurance on Subaru or something if you want fast :D

Or any hatchback Clio 172, 182, 197, Golf Turbo's, Civics Type R's, or Honda Accords, Audi A3's, Seat Cupra R etc etc millions to list lol

As you say on looks the Lex is great, I think I've just out grown mine now lol.. As said the bits it comes with are great in comparison to others, while looking at new cars there basically just shells and everything is classed as an extra even rev counters so these where brilliant cars 10 years ago it's just new cars squeeze alot more out the engines now.

If mine was 100% fit and I owned a oil company I'd keep it for ever.. lmao

the lexus is200 is not the most powerfull car out there but in comparison with others it is.

the lexus is200 is a nice looking car compared to most other cars out there.

the quality and the equipment of the is200 is well infront of most cars out there.

if you want a fast car for not to much money then i suggest you do what i did.... get a wrx prodrive(not the most comfortable car to drive)and a lexus is200 for a nice smooth drive and comfort with lots of extras as standard :D

do they not feel quick ish when you floor it? whats it competing with bmw 318's?

A Friend of mine has a 318 Coupe, and the IS is much quicker, and has so much more power too. I've also got friends that have simular cars like Alfas, Mazdas, and Audis, and the Lexus is the better of the bunch.

The Lexus is no Skyline, but it is sure a comfy ride with enough go to keep you happy.

It depends what you want it for.

If you are at the lights on a dual carriageway and something pulls up alongside you then the IS200 is definitely not the best car to be in. If you're the sort not to bother with that stuff then it being slow off the mark won't matter.

When you're on your own in the IS200 on a good country road and are just having fun, not trying to race anyone, then I think it's plenty quick enough :). The handling and brakes are good which helps a lot.

I think it feels quicker than the 0-60 time, bear in mind it won't crack 60 in second so there's two gear changes needed. But like others have said off the mark it's not great, mainly because of the bad 1st to 2nd gear change. But once you're moving it pulls well and really smoothly.