Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 - Is It A Quick Car

It can be quick if you keep the rev's up but it's to say it's fast is well wide of the mark, like everyone's said there built for quality and comfort not speed, but still pretty quick compared to alot of other stuff on the roads.

Welcome to LOC fella, where abouts are you? you could always have a go in mine ;)

I went from a Saxo VTS & a 1.9 205 GTi to a Lexus is200, it is sluggish in comparrison (obviously, as the Sax and Pug both do low 7's to 60.) But the Lexus eats large roads, very smooth and nice to cruise in as it has a 6 speed box. :)

Fast is relative really. I came from a 1.4 Focus (Same engine as your fiesta) to this so yes it is faster. The other cars people are referring to as fast are twin turbo 3ltrish cars and of course a non turbo 2ltr is not going to be that quick. However the IS200 has more poke to it than most other cars you see on the road but it is not a performance car. The sport saloon part is how well it handles not its straight line speed/acceleration.

But as others have said you need to take one for a test drive - only you know what you consider fast.

Well, its not a very quick car, but is great for cruising. To be honest where can you fast these days anyway!

Best bet is to test drive an IS 200 & an IS 300. If you are really after power then an IS 300 may be your best option.

I came from a Mercedes 2.4 Sport to an IS 200. Gotta say i noticed the difference at first, but the Lexus drives just as well & in a different way to the Merc. I never regret buying an IS 200, its full of gadgets and think they handle well. I love mine, just got annoyed when it was slightly rear ended the other week at a roundabout by an Audi. Its all sorted now.

Good luck & hope you find your perfect Lexus.

what if youw where to get an uprated cam kit, chip it, uprated exhaust manifold, sports cat, cat back and a high performance induction kit????

TBH theres not much point do that to the engine, Forced inductions the only real way to get some power as the engines built for smooth reliability.

i haven't brought it yet!!!

i have a dr10 on my licence so no 1 will touch me insurance wise.... i know it's not no supercar like!!

I think it's simply the look of the car that does it for me! and all the extra's and that.... the engines are nice and big!! surprised they are really as slow as what you have all been saying

how much are superchargers? inc fitting costs

Superchargers are getting like hens teeth to get mate.

I think we're getting a little carried away here, if you're coming from a 1.4 Fiesta, and you have insurance woes, then among the type of cars you're probably looking at the IS200 is perfectly respectable. If you're talking about the manual, it's around 9 seconds to 60 - yes you need to rev it a bit to get the power but it is there.

It's not a fast car, but it's not supposed to be - the IS300 is quicker but if you have trouble with insurance then that's going to hit your wallet hard.

Coming from 200SX ownership and heading for IS200 ownership, and just having had my first test drive, I've got to say, it felt pretty sluggish. Hasn't put me off at all though, as in virtually every other way it's an extremely nice drive. Also, should you build up some funds, there're several engine swap options which would spice things up very nicely if you decide you want serious powerz :shifty:

I would never class the IS as a fast car (Evo, WRX etc) but in terms of family/exec saloon it is miles faster than an "ordinary" car. 150 bhp is about 40 more than the average saloon. The reason the Lex isn't that quick is it weights the same as a house. That affects the 0-60 time. Once it is up and running this is not as much of a factor and overtaking etc is very easy. Before I bought mine I test drove lots of cars including a WRX, 318 and a Leagacy B4. The lex was the best compromise. It isn't going to be stolen every 2nd week and is a lot more comfortable than the above cars. The 318 was as slow as xmas compared to it.

The IS200 is "quick" when you have insurance issues it is only group 14ish. There is simply nothing else in the same class for the money. However for the fuel it drinks it would be nice to be a bit quicker!!

A good driver will get good speed out of his/her car it is not all to do with BHP and 0-60. Look at all the pro drivers, it is not always the fastest (read red car not silver arrow!!) that gets to the flag first. With modern driving it is how you control your car.

It depends what you want it for.

If you are at the lights on a dual carriageway and something pulls up alongside you then the IS200 is definitely not the best car to be in. If you're the sort not to bother with that stuff then it being slow off the mark won't matter.

When you're on your own in the IS200 on a good country road and are just having fun, not trying to race anyone, then I think it's plenty quick enough :). The handling and brakes are good which helps a lot.

I think it feels quicker than the 0-60 time, bear in mind it won't crack 60 in second so there's two gear changes needed. But like others have said off the mark it's not great, mainly because of the bad 1st to 2nd gear change. But once you're moving it pulls well and really smoothly.

you can crack 60 by only 1 gear change in you start off in 2nd gear :whistling:

i've raced a couple of 320beamers and stripped them and also raced a integra type-r and held it upto 110mph :) It's not lightning fast but it does have some nice mid-range grunt and is extremely smooth :). But as others have said if you want a quick car get something else i've topped out at 145 which is fairly admirable considering

i've raced a couple of 320beamers and stripped them and also raced a integra type-r and held it upto 110mph :) It's not lightning fast but it does have some nice mid-range grunt and is extremely smooth :). But as others have said if you want a quick car get something else i've topped out at 145 which is fairly admirable considering

Off road track of course :whistling:

Not the Leigh. Buzz. Bypass :whistling: :whistling: You know where.......

I used to run a normally aspirated Nissan 300zx prior to owning my current IS300 Sportcross. The Sportcross is just as quick but both are heavy cars. The main difference is that the Z was full of drama whereas the Lex is very calm - so you think you are travelling quicker/faster in the Z but it's not the case. I use a Roadpilot gps speed camera detector to measure mph - have done on both cars so it's not inacurate speedo readings that give the difference.

Good luck

jack

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links