Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gt-r Transmission Failures

Parthiban

Anyone heard about these GT-R transmission failures that Nissan are not agreeing to replace under warranty? Instead their slapping on a bill of around $20,000 to replace it :o

While I can understand where they're coming from in some senses (talk of car abuse), how can they make a car with launch control, publish figures that can only be obtained using said launch control, and then state in the manual that the warranty is void if you disable the traction control (which needs to be done to use the LC)?

Besides don't Ferraris and stuff have LC? And I haven't heard of numerous transmission failures with them........

yeah this has been floating for over a month now, i know someone who currently owns a import GTR and also someone waiting for the UK spec one to arrive..

The import one has only ever used it once for a Evo mag shootout at rockingham..

I do agree though, it shouldnt have it.. or you should have to sign an agreement to have it activated.. because as we are men.. if there is a go fast button.. eventualy we will press it!

Anyone heard about these GT-R transmission failures that Nissan are not agreeing to replace under warranty? Instead their slapping on a bill of around $20,000 to replace it :o

While I can understand where they're coming from in some senses (talk of car abuse), how can they make a car with launch control, publish figures that can only be obtained using said launch control, and then state in the manual that the warranty is void if you disable the traction control (which needs to be done to use the LC)?

Besides don't Ferraris and stuff have LC? And I haven't heard of numerous transmission failures with them........

Something about it over on the prolex uk web site, if i remember right, never liked the GT-r nissan, well most of them really, sort of cheap plastic inside :o

Why on earth isn't the gearbox strong enough to take the load? It's hardly a top-fuel dragster, which have so much power that you really are right on the limits of what can be achieved using steel and aluminium.

Built to a price, I guess...

Why on earth isn't the gearbox strong enough to take the load? It's hardly a top-fuel dragster, which have so much power that you really are right on the limits of what can be achieved using steel and aluminium.

The load on a transmission in "normal" use is surely somewhat different from the corresponding load using a launch control system though ?

The load on a transmission in "normal" use is surely somewhat different from the corresponding load using a launch control system though ?

Of course - but they did fit a launch control, to a road car sold to the public. My view is that if the operation of the system is detailed in the manual, and obvious from the cabin, then you can expect it to be used. If they supply a transmission that isn't up to the job, that's a pretty serious error, surely?

I wonder what would happen if trading standards (or whatever suitable, legally empowered body) were to get involved?

I certainly think Nissan to have shot themselves in the foot with this conflicting issue....

allow a launch control system & if you use it the warranty is invalidated :whistling:

It's almost like admitting design flaws in the gearbox, or it just wasn't built strong enough in the first place.

Either way it doesn't bode well for the longevity of the gearbox for a car you might want to do a lot of

miles & or track days in. Surely they would have been better to slightly over engineer the drivetrain ?

I bet the gearbox is £8,000-£12,000+ to replace so will be putting potential customers off IMO :whistling:

Of course - but they did fit a launch control, to a road car sold to the public. My view is that if the operation of the system is detailed in the manual, and obvious from the cabin, then you can expect it to be used. If they supply a transmission that isn't up to the job, that's a pretty serious error, surely?

I wonder what would happen if trading standards (or whatever suitable, legally empowered body) were to get involved?

Nissan don't actually advertise that the car has launch control, it's not in the manual and they don't tell you how to use it. This is their argument for not paying out, but it is stupid as it shouldn't be on the car if they don't think it can take it. Either way it seems the 2010 GT-R will not have launch control now so only a few people will actually have to worry about whether to use it or not.

What I'm confused about is how a $20k transmission isn't strong enough to cope with it. Surely one in a Ferrari or BMW M5 can't be worth a lot more than that?

Also wonder what it will do to 0-60 times.........

Wasn't there a similar thing a few years ago with the M3? You could only use the launch control 3 times or something and after that, warranties were nullified. The ECU kept count just for good measure.

Wasn't there a similar thing a few years ago with the M3? You could only use the launch control 3 times or something and after that, warranties were nullified. The ECU kept count just for good measure.

Yep, apparently this is what they say for all the M cars - guess it makes sense, if you had a manual gearbox and kept dumping the clutch at 4500 revs, you'd kill it eventually and they're not going to replace that under warranty.......

Still just wish it wasn't there, if I had it it would be far too tempting to use every so often :whistling:

Yep, apparently this is what they say for all the M cars - guess it makes sense, if you had a manual gearbox and kept dumping the clutch at 4500 revs, you'd kill it eventually and they're not going to replace that under warranty.......

Still just wish it wasn't there, if I had it it would be far too tempting to use every so often :whistling:

Believe me, its very tempting to us launch control :whistling:

I can imagine :winky:

You've got racelogic TC haven't you? How does it work exactly with the manual gearbox? Does it purely just control wheelspin or does it do anything else fancy like the M5 for example (as it's the only one that I know how it works)

The GT-R transmission is designed and manufactured by Borg-Warner. It appears the teeth on the first gear are shearing off when launch mode is engaged and used aggressively (how else are you going to use it?). Situation worsens if when you continue to drive with VDIM turned off, which is advised against in the drivers manual but something you have to do to engage launch mode. Several people have had to pay for the new transmission (with the attached rear differential as well as the AWD center diff) without warranty coverage. Not good news at all and Nissan not likely to put a fix in place by the March UK launch, so cancelled my order :angry:

gtrfirstgearsheeredih2.jpg

so cancelled my order :angry:

Did you have one on order? Awesome, but understand your reasons for cancelling..........it seems their fix is to remove LC from the cars from 2010 onwards.........

so cancelled my order :angry:

Did you have one on order? Awesome, but understand your reasons for cancelling..........it seems their fix is to remove LC from the cars from 2010 onwards.........

That didn't fill me with confidence at all. If it's designed that near the limits of capability I don't believe it will have long term reliability. Also understand they're talking about a redesign of the transmission to take the load it's supposed to be capable of, but that's probably a long term fix. May have to look at the IS-F again after convincing myself it wasn't worth the dosh. :blush:

I can imagine :winky:

You've got racelogic TC haven't you? How does it work exactly with the manual gearbox? Does it purely just control wheelspin or does it do anything else fancy like the M5 for example (as it's the only one that I know how it works)

Ay i have, but i use the emanage ultimate for the launch control, as i only have the manual adjuster for the Racelogic not the digital one/

The emanage's launch works but sensing the speed at zero and the throttle past 80% then it holds the revs at whatever you set it till you release the clutch, the speed goes above 0 and the emanage releases the revs. It cuts the revs by cutting the injectors and igniter's.

The racelogic works but cutting the injectors dependent on what you set it, it sees the differences between the wheel speeds using the ABS sensors.

That didn't fill me with confidence at all. If it's designed that near the limits of capability I don't believe it will have long term reliability. Also understand they're talking about a redesign of the transmission to take the load it's supposed to be capable of, but that's probably a long term fix. May have to look at the IS-F again after convincing myself it wasn't worth the dosh. :blush:

Yep that's totally understandable, I guess it now at least makes a bit of sense. Up until now it was so mindboggling how the GT-R wasn't just a car that was fast for £50k, it was a car that could cut it with "proper" supercars for £50k.........

The M5 is quite a good option too, but not really sure how reliable they would be either, I was really looking forward to the CTS-V myself until I found out they were LHD only :crybaby:

That only really leaves the IS-F :whistling:

Ay i have, but i use the emanage ultimate for the launch control, as i only have the manual adjuster for the Racelogic not the digital one/

The emanage's launch works but sensing the speed at zero and the throttle past 80% then it holds the revs at whatever you set it till you release the clutch, the speed goes above 0 and the emanage releases the revs. It cuts the revs by cutting the injectors and igniter's.

The racelogic works but cutting the injectors dependent on what you set it, it sees the differences between the wheel speeds using the ABS sensors.

That's brilliant, so it's proper launch control! I really want to see that in action at some point - as long as it doesn't blow your gearbox :)