Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Road Tax

Hi All,

The tax charges have been frozen it will not increase to the ridiculous amount of £400. However Lexus Owners will still face an increase.

It means owners of cars with CO2 emissions of 226g/km or higher that paid £185 this year, would see their road tax bill rise to £215 for 2009/10 and then to £245 for 2010/11. This is a slight increase, but is far better then the original plan of £400+.

All details can be found on the parkers website. Hope the links below help to clarify the new charges.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax/Def...spx?deriv=16550

http://www.parkers.co.uk/news/News/Pre-Bud...-as-it-happens/

Thanks

Jay

I am confuesed by the budget.

has our road tax been frozen or not???

I hope it has because 400 pound was stupid

I've just seen the new VED tables for vehicles >225 CO2's (eg. IS200's) registered between 2001 and 23 March 2006.

2009/2010 £215

2010/2011 £245

What a relief for those of us affected by this. At least now IS200's won't be seen as suffering from the plague as they are at present. It's also good news for IS300 and some IS250 owners. There seems now to be some fairness coming into play providing that the gov't doesn't spend the coming years gradually raising the VED to catch up with the £400+ cars. Only time will tell.

I personally don't think you'll see the 2001-2006 cars penalised. The retrospective VED increase was unfair in the extreme. It also affected S2000 owners in the same way (over the G threshold by 2g/km). hopefully this plus the "rejuvination" plan will see residuals stabilise trhoughout the used car market as people now know where they stand. I would have preferred to see Mr. Darling come out with a flat "the retrospective VED increase for 2001-06 cars is scrapped." hoever as that would have left no room for confusion.

Still say they can't be trusted to run a bath though, letalone the country!

I personally don't think you'll see the 2001-2006 cars penalised. The retrospective VED increase was unfair in the extreme. It also affected S2000 owners in the same way (over the G threshold by 2g/km). hopefully this plus the "rejuvination" plan will see residuals stabilise trhoughout the used car market as people now know where they stand. I would have preferred to see Mr. Darling come out with a flat "the retrospective VED increase for 2001-06 cars is scrapped." hoever as that would have left no room for confusion.

Still say they can't be trusted to run a bath though, letalone the country!

It appears that the >225 CO2's in the retrospective band will be put in Band K TEMPORARILY. My view is it will be made permanent so won't play catch up with the £400 VED group. I just hope I'm right and that scrapping would have been politically wrong so they have just gone for the "let's just let it die because it was misjudged".

From what I've read this is a reprieve, and the £400 a year crap will come into effect but in 2012 - as it stands at the moment.

But they're going to make it even harder for people to accept that, in 2012 a 2001 car will be 11 yrs old and a 2005 car will be 7 years old so I can't see how they can start taxing the hell out of cars that old, the owners won't be able to pay.

As others have said I just hope this is a first step in a full climbdown. Either way we've got 2 yrs.

The sad thing is I know people who got out of cars like the IS200, MG ZS180 etc because they couldn't afford to pay £400 a year. Now they've sold their cars for nothing.

The other sad thing is the hammering our cars have took in value, I doubt prices will recover.

From what I've read this is a reprieve, and the £400 a year crap will come into effect but in 2012 - as it stands at the moment.

But they're going to make it even harder for people to accept that, in 2012 a 2001 car will be 11 yrs old and a 2005 car will be 7 years old so I can't see how they can start taxing the hell out of cars that old, the owners won't be able to pay.

As others have said I just hope this is a first step in a full climbdown. Either way we've got 2 yrs.

The sad thing is I know people who got out of cars like the IS200, MG ZS180 etc because they couldn't afford to pay £400 a year. Now they've sold their cars for nothing.

The other sad thing is the hammering our cars have took in value, I doubt prices will recover.

A thought has occurred to me regarding the VED system based on CO2's. There is no appeal mechanism. Surely this must contrevene common law. Do we have a member who is lawyer. Even if it doesn't, it probably infringes human rights and could perhaps be challanged in Europe. The case is simple in that no 2 cars are the same and that some cars will be just over a VED boundary whilst others will be under. To classify them both as the same is wrong. What about cars that a modified for economy? The system makes no allowance for this. A fairer system, if we must have it based on CO2's, is for each car to be tested during an MOT. They are already tested for gas emissions.