Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1st To 2nd A Pain

stocksy

ive had the car for a couple of months and ive noticed recently its becoming trickier to go from 1st to 2nd, the rest of the gear changes are fine but when i go from 1st to 2nd the car judders slightly, does anybody have an idea of what might be wrong all advice welcome.

• 1 month later...
ive had the car for a couple of months and ive noticed recently its becoming trickier to go from 1st to 2nd, the rest of the gear changes are fine but when i go from 1st to 2nd the car judders slightly, does anybody have an idea of what might be wrong all advice welcome.

...hey, mine does this a bit too...! :unsure: My symptoms are that you can't rush 1st to 2nd gear changes until the box is warm, but all other gears are fine. No rattles though. I tried a few IS 200's before buying this one and they were all a bit "boxy" to my mind after coming from a V6 Vectra, I put it down to the more positive direct linkage rather than half a dozen rose bushes between you and the gears... :shifty: Does yours get better when warm??

Same here. I think you're probably noticing it more because of the time of year, it's colder and my car seems slightly worse than it did. Once the oil has warmed up it's ok, although 1-2 is always a bit tricky. It seems that you can't rush it otherwise it crunches slightly, but if you take too long the engine revs drop too much and then you can't let the clutch up smoothly.

3-2 is really smooth, just not 1-2.

Same here..05 plate IS200 ...1st to 2nd gear a bit notchy when cold alot better when warm...i found aswell when its cold before driving of just to depress the clutch and go through all the gears once or twice 1st to 2nd to 3rd etc then back again...IMO seems to help on cold mornings... :)

its because the gearbox is crap and the cones for the syncromesh are worn. i had my gearbox replaced under warranty many many years ago, the new box was perfect for about 4 months then it started to get the common "crunch" and difficulty making smooth changes into 2nd.

Only sure way I have found is to make slower changes between 1st and 2nd then the change is fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links