Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Brake Caliper Sticking

I had to stop driving my RX today due to really violent judder and shakes in the car which also came up through the steering wheel. Three discs were warm to the touch but the driver's side was untouchably hot with the heat tramsmitting out onto the alloys themselves. I decided it would be safest to all out the AA for a tow in to my Lexus dealer. Their diagnosis is the same as mine - sticking brake caliper.

My RX is 8 months out of warranty so I'm wishing I'd taken out the extended warranty they offered. I didn't because of the "legendary " reliability of the Lexus brand. How long can one expect a Lexus brake caliper to last under average driving conditions? I've never ever had one go and that includes an 11 year stretch with one Honda Accord. Has anyone else had such an early failure and is there a chance that Lexus may accept that this is an unacceptable premature failure and help out with the dealer's charges?

Alan

I think there was another thread on here about calliper failure - IIRC that was a rear one - not so long ago...

Anyhoo, the cost will be astronomical, not just in terms of labour but the actual part cost. The answer to your question is not black and white IMHO and you should be eligible for a goodwill gesture from Lexus. But remember also that you will need new brake pads and discs (full set) for the axle on which the calliper will be replaced.

Have you tried the search function above? ;)

I think there was another thread on here about calliper failure - IIRC that was a rear one - not so long ago...

Anyhoo, the cost will be astronomical, not just in terms of labour but the actual part cost. The answer to your question is not black and white IMHO and you should be eligible for a goodwill gesture from Lexus. But remember also that you will need new brake pads and discs (full set) for the axle on which the calliper will be replaced.

Have you tried the search function above? ;)

Yes, I'd seen the post about the rear caliper failure. I may be wrong but I'd have thought that a part like this should last for a minimum of 5 years to be considered fit for purpose under "normal" driving conditions. Will keep you posted on how this progresses.

If you have owned the car from new (which is the impression I get?) and haven't had any issues - then you should get a goodwill gesture from Lexus without too much hassle. Stick with it mate, Lexus do take care of their customers - but the issue for you will be forking out for the cost of the P+D that will be required for one calliper replacement.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links