Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Colour - Impact On Value ?

Hi there,

After much research I'm going to replace my much loved Alfa GTV V6 with an IS200SE ( was looking at Saab 9-3 Aero to keep some level of performance...but IS200 is so much car/money at the moment ) as need a 4 door practical reliable family car that handles well.

I've seen two at the same local dealers but the price value is £400 for what is essentially a change in colour :-

2002 51plate 71K miles - Silver dark interior - £3990

2001 Y plate 68K miles - Dark Blue beige interior - £4390

book values for the two are just about identical due to miles balancing age out.

Can't figure out large price diff.....is dark blue highly sought after over silver or is it the beige interior ??

cheers

Neil

Not sure mate is one a Sport and one an SE, may depend on number of previous owners, service history stuff like that, could be because of the planned road tax changes, there's alot of silver cars on the road tho at the moment :whistling: but surely that won't make a newer car with only 3k more on the clock less valuable as colour is all down to personal taste. I prefer the blue and the dark interior but that's just me ;)

Welcome to LOC.

Hi there,

After much research I'm going to replace my much loved Alfa GTV V6 with an IS200SE ( was looking at Saab 9-3 Aero to keep some level of performance...but IS200 is so much car/money at the moment ) as need a 4 door practical reliable family car that handles well.

I've seen two at the same local dealers but the price value is £400 for what is essentially a change in colour :-

book values for the two are just about identical due to miles balancing age out.

Can't figure out large price diff.....is dark blue highly sought after over silver or is it the beige interior ??

cheers

Neil

Yes it does. The sales manager at my local BMW dealer always used to try & persuade (usually successfully)

prospective buyers to have black, dark blue, silver or similar colours because of their better resale value. Think about it, how many other BMWs in other colours do you see?

Also I remember reading, some fair time ago, an article on this subject which quoted various makes, their favoured colours and the relative resale values.

Personally, when I go for my next IS200 (April/May time hopefully) Colour will play a part

I will not buy a green or beige one (no offence to any green or beige owners)

Colour preference:

White, Black, Blue, Silver, Red

In that order. :)

beige ??.......is that a new colour for lexus !!

That's a really odd difference in price. Yes colour does matter, but the way it's always been with the IS is that if it's silver, blue or black, they were all generally worth about the same amount.

Personally I think the black interior is probably worth more than the beige one, especially as it's not full leather, must be a pain to keep clean.

Personally, when I go for my next IS200 (April/May time hopefully) Colour will play a part

Colour preference:

Gold, Beige, champagne metallic. whatever you wanna call it, I dont want one :)

Our transatlantic friends seems strangely drawn to beige. weird

Depends which one you're talking about, there were two from what I remember, I think one was Persian something (which was a proper gold and I hated) and the other was Damietta Quartz (?) which I actually quite liked :)

I'm surprised by those prices, because the IS200's with beige interiors normally fetch less when I've been looking at buying. A few times I've seen what looks like a bargain, then I check the interior shots and notice it's beige inside. The beige looks nice but it's not for me and I think in general it's less popular than the darker interior.

One thing to bear in mind about silver is it's the hardest colour to touch up so if it's got any scratches or scuffs you might want to be careful.

Colour preference:

i own a damietta quartz IS200, bought it as i like the colour and has black interior. i'm not concerned about value loss as i've owned car/colour i like . :)

Colour preference:

i own a damietta quartz IS200, bought it as i like the colour and has black interior. i'm not concerned about value loss as i've owned car/colour i like . :)

And thats exactly the point isnt it? If you buy for a good long time and arent worried about resale values you could have a pink one! with a brown and orange aligator skin interior on 30" wheels with a lift kit.

When you come to sell it however, the taget market will be more limited than say Silver with black leather ;)

• 1 month later...

Colour preference:

Why would it just be Americans who like a gold coloured car? I drive a gold Lexus, the unusual one not the 'gold gold' if you know what I mean, and have had many unsolicited complimentary remarks on the colour. I wasn't too sure at first but now I love it, and I love the beige interior too, though the floor mats need shampooing regularly!

Have to admit the gold is one of my favourite colours - check out GRiM's IS at some point - not many better looking than that one!

My first car was the same colour too - plus there's loads of them around here! Maybe it's something in the water around here :lol:

Hi there,

cheers

Neil

I like the sound of the alfa i had a 156 a while ago but i was broken down by the side of the road more than i was on it. Even so fantastic car i did love it when it worked. As for the colour of the lex silver never seems to go out of fashion its like having cream walls in your house a bit of a no brainer it looks good and i am sure has no effect on the value really.